Wanted - Canon 300mm

Old June 19th 05, 06:42 PM
RustYŠ

Default Wanted - Canon 300mm

Having searched high and low without results, does anyone know of a Canon
300mm f2.8 for sale ?

I will consider a 300/f4.

Non IS preffered but it looks like I can't be too fussy on this one.

E-mail

Thanks

Old June 19th 05, 07:48 PM
RustYŠ

Sorry - that should be

Old June 19th 05, 11:03 PM
james

RustYŠ wrote:

Having searched high and low without results, does anyone know of a Canon
300mm f2.8 for sale ?

In other words, you really want this:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...111crx.aspx#FM

But you'd "settle for" this:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...mode lid=7317

It's hard to sympathize with your predicament, but I'll try :-)
Old June 19th 05, 11:35 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought the OP wanted a 2.8 but would
settle for a 4.0?

BTW, I'd save like crazy for the current 2.8. I use one for soccer.
It's a brilliant lens.

400 2.8 next I think

DAH

In article 6Zlte.1888$Lr4.661@fed1read03, james
wrote:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...categoryid=154
&modelid=7317

Old June 20th 05, 12:04 PM
rwesurfn

"RustYŠ" wrote in message
Having searched high and low without results, does anyone know of a Canon
300mm f2.8 for sale ?

I will consider a 300/f4.

Non IS preffered but it looks like I can't be too fussy on this one.

E-mail

Thanks

try KEH.com I have bought several lenses from them. Always had good
experiences, fast shipping, no annoying bait and switch or trying to get
you to buy unwanted accessories. Overall very pleased with everything I
have gotten from them. they have a few of each in stock even

Old June 20th 05, 05:03 PM
James Of Tucson

A used non-IS will cost nearly as much as a new IS.
I'm not likely to *ever* be in the market for such a thing, but,
just for curiosity's sake, is the IS so bad, or is it that the
older lens is so much better?

Old June 21st 05, 05:24 PM
Dave Herzstein

James Of Tucson wrote:

A used non-IS will cost nearly as much as a new IS.
I'm not likely to *ever* be in the market for such a thing, but,
just for curiosity's sake, is the IS so bad, or is it that the
older lens is so much better?

My experience is the opposite. After I purchased my second-hand 300/4
IS lens for $825, I was able to sell my 300/4 (non-IS) for only $500.

-Dave
Old June 21st 05, 08:00 PM
James Of Tucson

I was able to sell my 300/4 (non-IS) for only $500.

The f/2.8 seems to be much more valuable in the marketplace.

Old June 21st 05, 08:40 PM
Dave Herzstein

James Of Tucson wrote:

I was able to sell my 300/4 (non-IS) for only $500.

The f/2.8 seems to be much more valuable in the marketplace.

The same holds true for the f2.8 versions - the newer IS lenses command
much more money then the non-IS lenses on the second-hand market.
--
Dave
Old June 22nd 05, 12:14 AM
James Of Tucson

The one source I saw for the 300mm f/2.8 non-IS lens that the OP wants,
rang up in the over $3000 price bracket. WAY too rich for my blood.