geocities guestbook problem - cutting visitor comments!!! ARGH!!!

Old July 1st 04, 04:52 PM
Ja D

Default geocities guestbook problem - cutting visitor comments!!! ARGH!!!

Folks I have a photo portfolio website on geocites, and had a guestbook
setup.

Its now come to light that the long comments some of my visitors left, have
been cut off in mid sentance after a certain number of words.

I AM SO ANGRY

Does anyone know if this is a known problem with geocities' guestbook?
It is completely idiotic for the comment entry box to let the visitor keep
typing and not warn them their comments will be cut after the first 20 words
or so

Old July 1st 04, 05:20 PM
Zebedee

"Ja D" wrote in message
Folks I have a photo portfolio website on geocites, and had a guestbook
setup.

Its now come to light that the long comments some of my visitors left,

have
been cut off in mid sentance after a certain number of words.

I AM SO ANGRY

Does anyone know if this is a known problem with geocities' guestbook?
It is completely idiotic for the comment entry box to let the visitor keep
typing and not warn them their comments will be cut after the first 20

words
or so

Umm... you really do get what you pay for!

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt
to escape paying his debts to
Dougal and Florence)

Old July 1st 04, 07:25 PM
Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Ja D"
writing in :

Folks I have a photo portfolio website on geocites, and had a guestbook
setup.

Its now come to light that the long comments some of my visitors left,
have been cut off in mid sentance after a certain number of words.

I AM SO ANGRY

Does anyone know if this is a known problem with geocities' guestbook?
It is completely idiotic for the comment entry box to let the visitor
keep typing and not warn them their comments will be cut after the
first 20 words or so

That's probably something the script does on the server end. Now, they
_could_ put something client side to warn the person that only x amount of
characters are allowed, but they don't. What I would suggest to you, since
you cannot access the serverside script, is to put a little warning on the
guestbook page, maybe at the top that says "Please keep your comments to
200 characters" or however many characters it seems to be.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com
Old July 1st 04, 07:34 PM
Alan D-W

"Ja D" wrote in message
Folks I have a photo portfolio website on geocites, and had a guestbook
setup.

Erm, Geocities is free isn't it?
Enough said.

Old July 2nd 04, 07:16 AM
Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Alan D-W"
writing in :

"Ja D" wrote in message
Folks I have a photo portfolio website on geocites, and had a guestbook
setup.

Erm, Geocities is free isn't it?
Enough said.

The OP has a valid point. Geocities script template _should_ have
something on it that says that the script limits the textbox to a certain
amount of characters, or the template should have a javascript that alerts
the user if there are too many characters in the textbox.

It's just the nice thing to do. It's the same thing as going to a site to
sign up for something, and if you put one thing in wrong, the script comes
back to tell you, and you have to put everything back in again. That's a
pain in the arse, and any good developer worth his salt and easily design
forms that don't do that.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com