Newbie buying Nikon D50 SLR Digital Camera

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 29th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Newbie buying Nikon D50 SLR Digital Camera

Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.

The Kodak camera was a max 5.0 Megapixels. I usually shot 2.1
resolution, and that was fine, as I rarely printed pix, just usually
copied them to my hard drive. But I would like to do a lot more
printing....

But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
sports photography.

I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
I think I like the Nikon.

I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:

Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
extra EN-EL3 Li-ion Battery Pack
Nikon SLR System Case
USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
buy it now price is $789.

(I have a lot of experience with buying on Ebay, and never had any
problems. I know how to do it and not get ripped off. I've bought items
that cost about 8 times this camera).

Of course, there is higher quality and higher prices. But this is
about the price range I am willing to spend. I don't need anything
more advanced, as I am not planning to do any professional photography.
I've tried to think of all the info I should share, but I'm sure I've
left out some very important info. Many of you have a LOT more
experience than I do. I've never owned a SLR.

What do you think of this camera package at this price for me?

Thanks!!