Epson printers ... R1800, 1280, 2200 and Pro line

Old February 21st 05, 08:55 PM
Bill Hilton

Default Epson printers ... R1800, 1280, 2200 and Pro line

This is an interesting write-up from an Epson dealer on the new R1800,
comparing it to Epson's existing 13" wide printers (1280 and 2200),
with comments on whether or not this ink set will migrate upward to the
Pro line (4000, 7600, 9600).

http://www.inkjetart.com/news/archive/IJN_02-21-05.html

Bill

Old February 21st 05, 10:07 PM
Jim Waggener

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is an interesting write-up from an Epson dealer on the new R1800,
comparing it to Epson's existing 13" wide printers (1280 and 2200),
with comments on whether or not this ink set will migrate upward to the
Pro line (4000, 7600, 9600).

http://www.inkjetart.com/news/archive/IJN_02-21-05.html

Bill

Hi Bill,

I have the 7600 (which I love) and the 1280. I do all my archival printing
on the 7600 using Arches Infinity paper, both rolls and sheets. The 1280 is
used mostly for promotional material. I've considered getting the 4000 for
smaller prints and its capacity to hold numerous pages for batch runs. The
R1800 looks very interesting. So my decision becomes a little more
complicated vs. the 4000

Jim Waggener
www.dorothyfagan.com

Old February 21st 05, 11:08 PM
Gregory Blank

"Jim Waggener" wrote:

[...]

Its an interesting piece on the printer for sure, from a cost stand
point.

I can't beat my current 1280 with the CIS for promo stuff. Whatever I
buy next will be for producing some form of Archival prints. I can't see
my self rapidly needing a huge 24" printer though.

Someone needs to come out with a desktop 11x14 RGB or LED image
printer,..... (sub 3K) that runs standard RA papers so I can image
retouched file and develop to my existing table top processor.....then I
would be happy

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old February 21st 05, 11:51 PM
rafe bustin

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:08:02 GMT, Gregory Blank
wrote:

Someone needs to come out with a desktop 11x14 RGB or LED image
printer,..... (sub 3K) that runs standard RA papers so I can image
retouched file and develop to my existing table top processor.....then I
would be happy

Yes... a desktop LightJet!

But short of that, HP just announced the
Designjet 90, which offers 18" wide prints
and seems set to compete with the Epson 4000.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old February 22nd 05, 12:05 AM
Gregory Blank

rafe bustin wrote:

Yes... a desktop LightJet!

But short of that, HP just announced the
Designjet 90, which offers 18" wide prints
and seems set to compete with the Epson 4000.

Rafe do you know the MSRP here in the US?

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old February 22nd 05, 01:10 AM
rafe bustin

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:05:52 GMT, Gregory Blank

rafe bustin wrote:

Yes... a desktop LightJet!

But short of that, HP just announced the
Designjet 90, which offers 18" wide prints
and seems set to compete with the Epson 4000.

Rafe do you know the MSRP here in the US?

No, not really. It was just announced
last week. But it's bracketed by the
Designjet 30 ($700 street) and the
Designjet 120 ($1200 street.) One
blog gives an estimated street price
of $1K.

rafe b
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old February 22nd 05, 01:47 AM
Bill Hilton

Jim Waggener writes ...

I have the 7600 (which I love) and the 1280. I do all my archival

printing
on the 7600 using Arches Infinity paper

Jim, I'm also a fan of the Arches Infinity Smooth paper, 17x22" sheets
for my Epson 4000, but the Arches ICC profile wasn't very good. What
are you using for a profile for the 7600? Do you use a RIP with a
custom profile or did you have a custom profile built or did Bill
Atkinson make one for the AI paper? I actually get nice results with
this paper and the Epson Fine Art - Smooth profile but am open to other
suggestions

Bill

Old February 22nd 05, 08:57 PM
Jim Waggener

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
ups.com...
Jim Waggener writes ...

I have the 7600 (which I love) and the 1280. I do all my archival

printing
on the 7600 using Arches Infinity paper

Jim, I'm also a fan of the Arches Infinity Smooth paper, 17x22" sheets
for my Epson 4000, but the Arches ICC profile wasn't very good. What
are you using for a profile for the 7600? Do you use a RIP with a
custom profile or did you have a custom profile built or did Bill
Atkinson make one for the AI paper? I actually get nice results with
this paper and the Epson Fine Art - Smooth profile but am open to other
suggestions

Bill

Bill, I'm using the Arches Textured with their profile. It gives me a pretty
accurate print. I do have to tweak it a little but not much. I don't know of
any Atkinson profiles for Arches. I have used his for Epson papers and they
are very good. I really like the quality of the Arches and they are actually
less expensive in rolls than the Epson.
I buy from B&H. I have finally got all my cartridges for the 7600 onto the
220ml size. It definitely saves money that way. I think I'll try the
Atkinson Epson profile on the Arches and see what I get. I use the textured
finish because my wife will often paint back into the print and it has a
"tooth" for the paint. We sell those as AP's

Jim
www.dorothyfagan.com