15" F/11 Red Dot Artar ?

Old March 15th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Default 15" F/11 Red Dot Artar ?

jjs wrote in message

"Ken Hart" wrote in message

Just out of morbid curiosity, roughly how much does one
of these beasties weigh? Does it come with a floor stand
as a standard configuration (I'm envisioning a big drill
press, as I'm not familiar with a milling machine.)?

The largest was built for military aerial photo printing
and it is close to 1,500 pounds, 12' tall. The other
10x10" enlargers were about 800 pounds. Mine is the later.
Gosh, maybe I should upgrade.

As for it not fitting in your darkroom, when I built my
current darkrooms, I failed to measure countertop to
ceiling for my D2V. When it came down to moving in, I
found I couldn't extend it all the way up. I boted it to
the countertop (giving an extra inch or so by eliminating
the baseboard), and cut a hole in the ceiling so the
lamphouse would go up between two rafters.

You sure aren't the first to go there! (Now, how would
I know that?)

Richard K! About your stuff in storage: I just checked
Craig Camera http://www.craigcamera.com/ and they have a
Saltzman catalog for $75.

John Craig is a very reliable dealer in photographic
instruction books and other stuff. I may even have gotten my
catalogue from him when he was still making the rounds of
local photo sales but its been so long I have no memory of
it. I also don't remember what I paid for it, probably not
more than $20.
The other big enlarger is the Elwood. They sold a
modified version of their 8x10 auto-focus enlarger mounted
on a stand with a crank on the side to run it up and down. A
perfectly useable enlarger but very crude compared to the
Saltzman.
Again, if you find either a Saltzman or Elwood without a
lamphouse you can get a cold light head from Arista. Not
cheap but the originals are very hard to find.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 15th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
____

In article , "Ken Hart"
wrote:

and cut a hole in the ceiling so the lamphouse would go up between two rafters.

I always laugh when people say they cut a hole in the ceiling. You could
have just dropped the counter top and then made an adjustable shelf in
front of the enlarger to make smaller prints.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old March 15th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Ken Hart[_3_]

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
snip
The best way to mount a D2V or similar enlarger is on a table with
moveable baseboard. Omega actually made one with a crank-up baseboard but
I think I've only ever seen one. Its not difficult to build a table with
shelves for the baseboard. That way you can make very large prints without
having to swing the over to project on the floor.

Many (many!) years ago (1960's?), Popular Mechanics published plans for an
enlarger stand. This was a stand-alone cabinet with no front and a top only
at the back where the enlarger's column was mounted. It had a shelf that
slid in at various positions to allow enlargerments to almost floor level. I
built one of these in high school shop class-- the shop teacher was also the
photography club adviser. To cut costs, I built it out of particle board
(OSB). At that time, my darkroom was in the un-heated basement. It didn't
take long before the dampness caused the particle board to fall apart.

If I were remodeling or rebuilding my darkroom, I'd probably use ordinary
kitchen base cabinets with a gap where the enlarger would be. The enlarger
would be mounted to a wall bracket, and the cabinets would have battens or
brackets so that a shelf (baseboard) could be laid in at various levels.
Fortunately, I'm sufficiently happy with my darkrooms as they are now to
avoid any remodeling foolishness. Maybe if Bob Vila did a show on darkrooms,
I might change my mind!

I suppose if I really needed additional enlarger extension, I could cut a
hole the rest of the way thru the ceiling and the floor above, take the
enlarger upstairs to the living room, and project it to the darkroom below--
using the grain focuser might be an issue!

Old March 15th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Ken Hart[_3_]

"____" wrote in message
In article , "Ken Hart"
wrote:

and cut a hole in the ceiling so the lamphouse would go up between two
rafters.

I always laugh when people say they cut a hole in the ceiling. You could
have just dropped the counter top and then made an adjustable shelf in
front of the enlarger to make smaller prints.

The hole in the ceiling was the easier alternative. I had already installed
the cabinets and countop. Since this was going to be my enlarger area, I
took special care in installing the cabinets: trimming the toekick rather
than using shims to level it to the floor, additional mounting supports to
the wall, and stiffening battens on the underside of the countertop. I
probably "test-installed" the cabinets a half-dozen times before I was
satisfied with them. Once they were permantently in place and all the other
"trimmings" of the darkroom were installed (timers, stereo,etc) I had no
urge to remove them and modify them to get six inches less height.
The hole in the ceiling required five minutes work with a keyhole saw!

Old March 15th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I always laugh when people say they cut a hole in the ceiling. You could
have just dropped the counter top and then made an adjustable shelf in
front of the enlarger to make smaller prints.

I always laugh at those who are so certain they are right.

Old March 15th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John[_12_]

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:09:29 -0500, jjs wrote:

I always laugh at those who are so certain they are right.

Usually I'm too busy kickin myself in the ass to laugh at others.

JD
Old March 15th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
jjs wrote:

I always laugh at those who are so certain they are right.

How do manage to catch your breath this election year?

That's crying and laughing at the same time.

Old March 15th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

jjs wrote:

I always laugh at those who are so certain they are right.

How do manage to catch your breath this election year?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index2.htm

Old March 15th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 09:08:35 -0400, ____
wrote:

I always laugh when people say they cut a hole in the ceiling. You could
have just dropped the counter top and then made an adjustable shelf in
front of the enlarger to make smaller prints.

March 15, 2008, from Lloyd Erlick,

Dropping the counter results in a work space
that is hard on one's back (if one's back is
so inclined ...).

But the real truth is that the enlarger ends
up mounted as low as possible (hell with your
back) and the ceiling is cut, too.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.