The right darkroom book?

Old February 26th 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Ken Hart[_3_]

Default The right darkroom book?

"Bogdan Karasek" wrote in message

jjs wrote:

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

AAvK wrote:

[...]

Photographic principles have not changed much since Ansel Adams wrote his
books. The more recent editions (since 1981) of "The Negative" and "The
Print" mainly reflect the newer materials available since the first
edition
was printed.

Jean-David, does the most recent version of The Print include VC papers?

As an aside, our local library has a great old book on paper flashing as
a means to control contrast range. But Agfa #6 is long gone.

Hello, An interesting source are the books that date from before WWII and
the early 50's. I have a collection of them. Pick them up at garage sales
and flea markets. As somebody pointed out, photo techniques, per se, have
not changed, give or take, there new films , papers but the basic
techniques are valid. The majority of these books are addressed to
amateur photography enthusiats, phoot club members, kids in highschool, so
everything had to be well explained, step by step, what happens with each
step and its relative importance, darkroom tips, loads of formulas for
everything and anything. You find a lot of them in "The DarkRoom
CookBook". They have diagrams for wiring, building a darkroom, plumbing,
everything that a kid needs to know on how to build a darkroom with the
help of his dad. I find a lot of interesting ideas, techniques that are
no longer used and forgotten The chemistry is not overly academic. They
give what you need to know.

When I was a kid, we used to read "Popular Mechanics" and and there would
be articles on how to build you own enlarger, using tomato cans,
magnifying glass, light bulb and what not. Great fun.

I remember articles like that in Pop Mech! Actually, I built an adjustable
enlarger stand from plans in PM. It had a shelf that slid into slots as that
larger prints could be made than the orginal baseboard would allow. (Tomato
cans were used for 35mm, if you wanted medium format, you had to use coffee
cans!)

Those old books can give you an interesting slant on how to 'make do'
without spending a pile of money on shiny equipment.

Old February 26th 08, 10:34 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Bogdan Karasek wrote:
Hello, An interesting source are the books that date from before WWII
and the early 50's. I have a collection of them. Pick them up at garage
sales and flea markets. As somebody pointed out, photo techniques, per
se, have not changed, give or take, there new films , papers but the
basic techniques are valid. .......

I remember doing exactly that in the mid 1960's. Being broke, but
inventive, my first darkroom trays were the lids that large
containers of potato salad, etc came in. I made an enlarger
from two coffee cans, a light bulb and socket and used my camera,
a Kodak Tourist 620 as the lens.

My first roll of film was a flop. I very carefully tray developed it
using a red safelight as all the books said I could. Unfortunately,
Kodak had since replaced Verichrome (an orthochromatic film) with
Verichrome Pan (panchromatic, i.e. sensitive to red) but none of
the books were new enough to mention the difference.

By the time I did my second roll, I went out and bought a cheap
daylight tank.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old February 27th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
AAvK[_3_]

"AAvK" wrote in message ...

Curious if there is a current book that...
--
Giant_Alex })))*
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Okay all, thank you very much for the replies, I will save everything to a text.
Much appreciated.

Old March 13th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John[_12_]

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:29:17 -0600, John wrote:

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:29:38 -0800 (PST), Peter
wrote:

Thanks for the list, but what became of www.darkroompro.com ?

It's still there of course but I'm waiting for the old registrar
(Godaddy) to release the domain name to the new registrar
(Webmasters.com)

Speedbump ! Well after moving everything to webmasters.com I started
getting email from people on AOL saying they couldn't access it. I'm
moving it back to Godaddy however webmasters.com has the domain tied
up. What is up with these people ? ! Any, most everything is up at
Legacy-photo.com for now. So much fun, so little time !

JD

FA: The ESSENTIAL Black-and-White Darkroom Book -- the Kodak B/W Darkroom Dataguide [email protected] Darkroom Equipment For Sale 0 August 13th 06 04:02 AM
Book UC In The Darkroom 36 February 3rd 06 03:00 PM
FS - Karsh Book Gerald Loban General Equipment For Sale 0 April 14th 04 11:07 PM
FS - Karsh Book Gerald Loban General Equipment For Sale 0 April 14th 04 05:36 PM
FS: Huge book Lenses ( book on CD ) DColucci Large Format Equipment For Sale 0 February 23rd 04 01:55 AM