Some simple questions about Single-Tray Processing

Old February 20th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Henry(k)

Default Some simple questions about Single-Tray Processing

Dnia Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:01:19 -0800 (PST), Steven Woody napisał(a):

1, My room is not large, even thougth it's capable use three trays,
use one tray only is attractive to me;

Use "tray ladder" suggested by David or maybe you can use vertical
tanks instead of trays (only problem to solve is how to mix solution
during processing to have even development).

2, Using one-tray method means I need to pour solutions back into its
container, this is easy to maintain solution temperature in a water
bath;

But you have to wash tray between each bath.

3, A well built, larger, dedicated photographic tray is not cheap.

Once as a tray I used kitchen box with a foil inside to keep it tight
- no difference to dedicated photographic tray, except that bottom was too
flat and sometimes was problem to raise paper with tongs).
So you can use anything what is able to keep paper in developer (tray, box,
PET bottle, trough, processing tank, etc.) - you will miss some comfort,
but not so much.

Greetings
Henry
Old February 20th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 2/20/2008 6:28 AM Steven Woody spake thus:

On Feb 20, 3:15 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/19/2008 10:01 PM Steven Woody spake thus:

2, Using one-tray method means I need to pour solutions back into its
container, this is easy to maintain solution temperature in a water
bath;

But that's what makes this method much more a pain in the ass, in my
view; all that pouring in and out of bottles. And in black & white
processing, who cares about "maintaining solution temperature"? (You
aren't processing color paper, are you?)

Yes, I do B/W. But if solution temperature is not ranged around 68F,
i am not sure how many minutes I should put a paper in the developer.
B/W print is really develop-to-complete? I am afraid if I develop a
paper too much, it will goes darker than it should in normal.

[This may have been answered already]

Yes, one develops b&w prints to completion; no timer necessary, unless
one is trying to match previous prints made in another session (and in
that case, temperature could be a factor). It's a matter of learning to
judge the print density in the darkroom. Generally, you'd make a test
print or 5 or 6, look at them under good light, and choose the best one
and use that exposure. Then print and develop to completion.
Old February 20th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 2/20/2008 7:46 AM Henry(k) spake thus:

Dnia Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:01:19 -0800 (PST), Steven Woody napisał(a):

1, My room is not large, even thougth it's capable use three trays,
use one tray only is attractive to me;

Use "tray ladder" suggested by David or maybe you can use vertical
tanks instead of trays (only problem to solve is how to mix solution
during processing to have even development).

Actually, it was Lawrence Akutagawa who suggested the tray ladder.
Old February 20th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Henry(k)

Dnia Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:58:57 -0800, David Nebenzahl napisał(a):

Actually, it was Lawrence Akutagawa who suggested the tray ladder.

Right, sorry Lawrence :-)

Greetings,
Henry
Old February 20th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

On Feb 19, 10:01*pm, Steven Woody wrote:

I interested in single-tray because,

1, *My room is not large, even thougth it's capable use
three trays, use one tray only is attractive to me;

Single tray processing is a great space saver. I would
need six trays to duplicate the results I obtain with one tray.
And that is just basic high quality processing. Conventional
six tray processing includes a developer, stop bath, fixer 1,
fixer 2, rinse, and hypo clear. I can do that with One tray
and need only two of the above six steps; develope -
fix. Both are Very dilute and used only once.
The little processing needed is done conveniently using
One-shot very dilute chemistry. I believe that is where Mr.
Nebenzahl fails to connect; One-Tray + One Shot chemistry.
There is No reason to use more than One tray if the Chemistry
is used One-Shot. I'm sure David is familiar with the rotary
process and the fact that some who do use One Tube
also use One-Shot chemistry. Dan
Old February 21st 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
____

In article m,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

at least compared to
tray processing, with which I've had little success. (I would prefer
tray processing if I weren't such a klutz, since I belive it yields
superior results.)

Just the point though, most people are kind of klutzy, drums or tubes
provide most of us mortals with better results. Then there is that AA
wannabe thing going on, that says if some xyz great photographer could
or can do it so can I - it takes years of practice-but then so does
camera work in general.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old February 21st 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...

I've wondered about using things like cat litter trays for processing,
but the proper dishes supposedly have a hard/dense surface to better
resist chemical damage/contamination.

There are very large, tough plastic trays that are put under washing
machines, and so-forth to capture spills. All can accomodate a drain to save
the trouble of tipping it to empty. And they are inexpensive. Check out a
large building supply shop. They are often near the water heaters.

Old February 21st 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Yes, one develops b&w prints to completion; no timer necessary, unless one
is trying to match previous prints made in another session (and in that
case, temperature could be a factor). It's a matter of learning to judge
the print density in the darkroom. Generally, you'd make a test print or 5
or 6, look at them under good light,

Insert he "Dry it so you can see the dry-down state."

Old February 21st 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Yes, I'm familiar with tube processing, as I use it for sheet film (4x5 &
9x12). For film, it makes a lot of sense to me, at least compared to tray
processing, with which I've had little success. (I would prefer tray
processing if I weren't such a klutz, since I belive it yields superior
results.)

Keep your eyes open for those 'canoe' or rocking stainless trays once used
for color processing. I ran across three NIB for $5 each. Very good for
8x10" film. And short print runs.