How to Unplug/Eject Memory Card in Win XP?

Old October 27th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davy[_2_]

Default How to Unplug/Eject Memory Card in Win XP?

I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my Windows XP
PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD card
but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug the USB cable and reinsert
it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
Is there a better way than this?
Davy

Old October 27th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sparky[_3_]

On Oct 27, 11:04 am, "Davy" wrote:
I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my Windows XP
PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD card
but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug the USB cable and reinsert
it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
Is there a better way than this?
Davy

down in the lower left corner there is a little thing that says safely
remove devices or somethign
click that and then select what you want to eject

Old October 27th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert Hyman

In oups.com Sparky
wrote:

On Oct 27, 11:04 am, "Davy" wrote:
I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my
Windows XP PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I
insert the SD card but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug
the USB cable and reinsert it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
Is there a better way than this?
Davy

down in the lower left corner there is a little thing that says safely
remove devices or somethign click that and then select what you want
to eject

But that doesn't solve the problem of how to get XP to notice that
you've plugged the card back into the reader at some later time.

So far, the only way I've discovered to do that is to unplug the reader
from the USB port and plug it back in, just as the original poster is
doing.

You'd think there would be another way ...

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old October 27th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:04:24 +0100, "Davy"
wrote:

I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my Windows XP
PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD card
but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug the USB cable and reinsert
it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.

Yes, sadly that's the way Sandisk have implemented it. I
have other (slower) readers that inform Windows when cards
are inserted and removed, but not my Sandisk Extreme. It's a
damned fast reader but it has its irritating little foibles.

Is there a better way than this?

Let me know if you find one :-(

--
John Bean
Old October 27th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Davy wrote:
I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my
Windows XP PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I
insert the SD card but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug
the USB cable and reinsert it.

Not sure if it will help, but did you try going to "My Computer" and then
opening the proper entry in "Devices with removable storage"?
Also, mabye a newsgroup for Windows XP might be a better place to ask.

jue

Old October 27th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave[_5_]

Yeah, that's the way I usually do it as well. However I do wonder if it is
necessary with XP, as occasionally when I just pull the card out it seems to
be OK. Of course if you do that while the card is reading you are asking for
trouble, just like when you turn off your camera before it has a chance to
put the files into the card. Does anybody know if you really have to shut
off the cardreader to just remove a card? My next step is usually to format
the card after that anyway.

Dave

"Sparky" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 27th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor[_3_]

I always just pulled my card reader/MP3 player/portable drive out of the
USB slot with no ill effects for years. Then the day before a
trans-Atlantic flight, I must've disconnected my MP3 player with a file
open, corrupted the directory, and I couldn't play anything on it. I
reformatted it, and it's been working without any problem for over two
months again. Since then, I always right-click in Explorer and choose
"Remove Safely."

Dave wrote:
Yeah, that's the way I usually do it as well. However I do wonder if it is
necessary with XP, as occasionally when I just pull the card out it seems to
be OK. Of course if you do that while the card is reading you are asking for
trouble, just like when you turn off your camera before it has a chance to
put the files into the card. Does anybody know if you really have to shut
off the cardreader to just remove a card? My next step is usually to format
the card after that anyway.

Dave

"Sparky" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 27th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.

Cynicor wrote:
I always just pulled my card reader/MP3 player/portable drive out of the
USB slot with no ill effects for years. Then the day before a
trans-Atlantic flight, I must've disconnected my MP3 player with a file
open, corrupted the directory, and I couldn't play anything on it. I
reformatted it, and it's been working without any problem for over two
months again. Since then, I always right-click in Explorer and choose
"Remove Safely."

Yes, that is the lesson to take home!

Most people do not realize this and assume that Windows somehow can
reads their minds.

One has to do this in Windows as well as in Linux (and in Mac too I guess).

-HS

Old October 27th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davy[_2_]

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:04:24 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Davy"
wrote:

I have a Sandisk Extreme card reader permanently plugged into my Windows

XP
PC. Whenever I want to download images from my camera I insert the SD

card
but XP does not seem to see it. I need to unplug the USB cable and

reinsert
it. Ditto if I 'stop' the device.
Is there a better way than this?

If your reader supports this, open up My Computer and right click on the
drive assigned to the reader/card and choose Eject. This works fine with

my
IOGear multi-reader/USB hub.

I don't have a problem ejecting or stopping; just getting Windows XP to
recognise that I have re-inserted the memory card.

Davy

Old October 27th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert Hyman

In om "Davy"
wrote:

I don't have a problem ejecting or stopping; just getting Windows XP
to recognise that I have re-inserted the memory card.

You'd probably be getting better answers if that's what you'd put in the
subject line of your post.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN