spotting black and white prints

Old November 1st 05, 08:28 AM

Default spotting black and white prints

What is the trick (s) for spotting RC paper?

Old November 1st 05, 06:13 PM
R.W. Behan

If you use Spot Tone, try a bit of Photo Flo in the solution.

But there's something far superior to Spot Tone, in my experience. A set of
10 pens, called SpotPen, are much easier to use. They're pens with very
fine felt tips, and loaded with dye (similar to Spot Tone) of varying
densities, from nearly-white to nearly-black. First you choose the pen with
the shade of gray that matches the background of your white spots, and then
you use them just like the sable brush--adding dots of dye until the spot
disappears.

Neat, quick, simple, effective--even on RC papers.

Good luck.

Dick Behan

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the trick (s) for spotting RC paper?

Old November 1st 05, 07:11 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the trick (s) for spotting RC paper?

A 'boom' stereo zoom microscope:

ebay item 7558542166 [paste # into 'search' field on ebay.com]

Can often be had for $150, less at live auctions.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com

Old November 1st 05, 10:01 PM
Gregory Blank

In article ,
"R.W. Behan" wrote:

If you use Spot Tone, try a bit of Photo Flo in the solution.

But there's something far superior to Spot Tone, in my experience. A set of
10 pens, called SpotPen, are much easier to use. They're pens with very
fine felt tips, and loaded with dye (similar to Spot Tone) of varying
densities, from nearly-white to nearly-black. First you choose the pen with
the shade of gray that matches the background of your white spots, and then
you use them just like the sable brush--adding dots of dye until the spot
disappears.

Neat, quick, simple, effective--even on RC papers.
Good luck.
Dick Behan

Do you know if they are said to be archival? That is are they guaranteed
not to discolor within xxx number of years ? Some markers use solvent to
transport the dye and over a fairly short time could become an issue.
Granted anytime you use a dye on a print discoloring can become an issue
but solvent could foment it.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old November 2nd 05, 02:02 AM
R.W. Behan

Can't tell you about archival qualities, Greg. I have some prints that are
probably 5 years old now with no sign of discoloration. I suspect this
stuff is as permanent as Spot Tone, anyway.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Old November 2nd 05, 05:25 AM
bill

I have prints that I spotted with these pens .... I cannot even tell where
the spotting took place. They have been hanging for at least 10 years now.
These are easy and simple to use.

bill

om...

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Old November 2nd 05, 12:41 PM
Gregory Blank

In article ,
"R.W. Behan" wrote:

Can't tell you about archival qualities, Greg. I have some prints that are
probably 5 years old now with no sign of discoloration. I suspect this
stuff is as permanent as Spot Tone, anyway.

It very well could be as long lasting, upon searching I found two
companies make "Spot pen(s)" Marshalls and Tetenal.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918