David Bowie by Steven Klein on Vogue

Old October 10th 03, 10:47 AM
EPerfido [smallstudio.com]

Default David Bowie by Steven Klein on Vogue

On L'UOMO Vogue, september 2003 the editorial "IS THIS CONCRETE ALL
AROUND" photographed by Steven Klein...

Any idea of how those pic were made ? Digit/analog, light setup,
location...and so on ?

Some scans i found on the net..

http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...e/cover01a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict01a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict02a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict03a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict04a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict05a.jpg

Thanks ;-)

--
Eolo Perfido
Photographer, Rome (Italy)
Old October 11th 03, 04:56 AM
zeitgeist

I'd imagine a softbox or umbrella over the camera and either a scrim
overhead, a large softbox or there is no roof over the apparently abandoned
jail, or maybe its just a warehouse with a toilet in the corner like a
prison.

can't tell from the small jpgs whether digital or film and I'm not that
technical anyway.

On L'UOMO Vogue, september 2003 the editorial "IS THIS CONCRETE ALL
AROUND" photographed by Steven Klein...

Any idea of how those pic were made ? Digit/analog, light setup,
location...and so on ?

Some scans i found on the net..

http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...e/cover01a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict01a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict02a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict03a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict04a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict05a.jpg

I'd imagine a softbox or umbrella over the camera and either a scrim
overhead, a large softbox or there is no roof over the aparently abandoned
jail, or maybe its just a warehouse with a toilet in the corner like a
prison.

can't tell from the small jpgs whether digital or film and I'm not that
technical anyway.

http://www.smallstudio.com

I see you are no longer claiming amateur status, did the guild loose power?

Old October 11th 03, 05:33 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"EPerfido [smallstudio.com]" wrote in message ...
On L'UOMO Vogue, september 2003 the editorial "IS THIS CONCRETE ALL
AROUND" photographed by Steven Klein...

Any idea of how those pic were made ? Digit/analog, light setup,
location...and so on ?

Some scans i found on the net..

http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...e/cover01a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict01a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict02a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict03a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict04a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict05a.jpg

Thanks ;-)

Why? Would you want to imitate this crap?
Old October 11th 03, 07:54 AM
Mxsmanic

Michael Scarpitti writes:

Why? Would you want to imitate this crap?

Agreed. It seems terribly contrived.

Old October 12th 03, 07:25 AM
Lionel

Word has it that on Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:54:15 +0200, in this august
forum, Mxsmanic said:

Michael Scarpitti writes:

Why? Would you want to imitate this crap?

Agreed. It seems terribly contrived.

Dunno if I'd call it crap, but yes, I think the photographer / art
director was trying /way/ too hard to be 'arty' & 'challenging'.

Old October 12th 03, 11:38 PM
Michael Scarpitti

forum, Mxsmanic said:

Michael Scarpitti writes:

Why? Would you want to imitate this crap?

Agreed. It seems terribly contrived.

Dunno if I'd call it crap, but yes, I think the photographer / art
director was trying /way/ too hard to be 'arty' & 'challenging'.

This is the kind of photgraphy that is intended to impress nail
technicians at the beauty salon.
Old October 13th 03, 04:15 AM
Mxsmanic

Michael Scarpitti writes:

This is the kind of photgraphy that is intended to impress nail
technicians at the beauty salon.

And it does! I saw such people buying tons of it yesterday.

Old October 13th 03, 02:36 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Mxsmanic wrote in message . ..
Michael Scarpitti writes:

This is the kind of photgraphy that is intended to impress nail
technicians at the beauty salon.

And it does! I saw such people buying tons of it yesterday.

While their nails were drying?
Old October 14th 03, 04:05 AM
Mxsmanic

Michael Scarpitti writes:

While their nails were drying?

Almost. Young non-photographers buying "fashion posters."

Old October 15th 03, 01:08 PM
Alexis Neel

"EPerfido [smallstudio.com]" wrote in message ...
On L'UOMO Vogue, september 2003 the editorial "IS THIS CONCRETE ALL
AROUND" photographed by Steven Klein...

Any idea of how those pic were made ? Digit/analog, light setup,
location...and so on ?

Some scans i found on the net..

http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...e/cover01a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict01a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict02a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict03a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict04a.jpg
http://www.moonagedaydream.it/immagi...ue/pict05a.jpg

Thanks ;-)

It is a set. The backgroounds have been painted. Softbox and some
grids.
I'd imagine film, as a lot of magazines still prefer to have color neg
shot.

Of course, its not "Waffle Boy", but evedentilly it is/was successful
for the magazine, which is part of the reason they did it like that.

Alexis
www.alexisneel.com