Eagles have returned

Old February 18th 14, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

Default Eagles have returned

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 2/17/2014 9:47 AM, PAS wrote:
When we were much younger, it was a day-long event to get a car
registered
at the DMV offices on Long Island. You stood on one line to get the form
fill out, then another after you filled out the form for it to be
checked,
then another after it was approved to pay for the registration, then
another
to pay for the plates, then another to pay the sales tax. It was a
horror.

Not if you went to Hicksville, Hunitngton, or Riverhead.

--
PeterN

After I got married in '81 I was working in Hicksville and used that office
a couple of times. IIRC, it was in back of the Broadway Mall. IIRC, they
only processed licenses and registrations an nothing else so the process was
quicker there. Now I use the Riverhead office since I live closest to it
but the system they use is a far cry from the older one we had to endure.

Old February 18th 14, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 2/18/2014 8:51 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 2/17/2014 9:47 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

Yup!
In those days the Hicksville mall was owned by Franklin Frank, who also
owned the Nathan's franchise there. I am hard pressed to think of a more
appropriate name for a Nathan's franchise owner than his.
Nowadays I often go through Riverhead.ve you heard what is happening to
the hummingbird sanctuary? Accoridng to Paul Adams, who runs it, some
idiots started showing no respect for the neighbor's property and they
are trying to close him down. It seems this happened after a Newsday
write up on the good work he was doing.

--
PeterN
Old February 19th 14, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message "PeterN"
wrote in message
On 2/17/2014 9:47 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm aware of what they're trying to do to close down the man's
sanctuary. It's very disheartening and I cannot imagine how he feels. I've
not taken the opportunity to go there but I know quite a few people who have
and they loved the experience.

Old February 19th 14, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote in message
On 2/17/2014 9:47 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

Paul Adams is a really nice guy. When visiting the sanctuary he was
always asking everybody to be considerate of his neighbors. He would
never accept donations from visitors, except for possibly a lawn chair.
If you wanted to pay he requested that you make a donation to some other
organization. If he loses, it will be a loss for the Island.

--
PeterN
Old February 19th 14, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
On 2/17/2014 9:47 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

Why would anyone in his right mind want to shut down a hummingbird
sanctuary?
Old February 19th 14, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-02-19 16:20:31 +0000, "J. Clarke" said:

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
On 2/17/2014 9:47 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

I have had my own hummingbird sanctuary outside my kitchen window.
Due to the drought in California and the moderate temperatures we have
had this Winter I have about 60-100 Anna's and a few Rufus hummingbirds
feeding at my six feeders. This is unusual as we seldom see any hummers
through Winter, as they normally migrate further South or move closer
to the coast.

They are going through 15-20 pounds of sugar a week. The other downside
has been unavoidable hummingbird crap on the kitchen window.
Here is my 1.37 minute iPhone evidence video. Note; I hadn't cleaned
the windows at the time I shot the video, and I am no videographer:
https://db.tt/M7Jv4yik

Savageduck

Old February 19th 14, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 2/19/2014 11:20 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote in message
On 2/17/2014 9:47 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

As I understand it, some of the public visitors created issues for the
neighbors.

--
PeterN
Old February 19th 14, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 08:56:50 -0800, Savageduck

On 2014-02-19 16:20:31 +0000, "J. Clarke" said:

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
On 2/17/2014 9:47 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

You think you have problems with bird crap on your kitchen window? It
could be worse :-)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...IMG_0932-a.jpg

Old February 20th 14, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

wrote in message
On 2/17/2014 9:47 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

Neighbors can be hard to deal with. I don't know the real reason why the
neighbors are now getting upset about this. It is a residential area, or a
"somewhat residential area" - along the road where the sanctuary is there
are commercial properties such as farms and nurseries. The owner of the
sanctuary restricted access to the sanctuary to a handful of people at a
time and was mindful of his neighbors and always asked visitors to be also.
http://www.libirding.com/LI_Birds/Hum_Sanctuary.html

Old February 20th 14, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 2/19/2014 6:11 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

snip

Evidently, the robins are migrating back north this week and passing
through the Orlando area. There were about 50 in my front yard this
morning. I threw out a couple of cupsfull of birdseed for them, and
they responded by crapping all over my car. No gratitude.

These are American robins, and different from the European robins, by
the way. What we call "robin red-breasts".

All such issues are proportionate. A resident of Sanibel built an osprey
nest platform near his house, which was quickly taken advantage of.
Ospreys don't bring live fish into their nest. The closest fish dispatch
are overhung his swimming pool. He solved the problem the following
year, by erecting an old TV antenna near the nest. That solved the
problem for him until the he learned that he had neglected to get a
permit for the TV antenna, (no good deed goes unpunished.)

--
PeterN