B/W Papers.

Old August 16th 10, 08:27 PM
Darkroom User Darkroom User is offline
Junior Member

Question B/W Papers.

Do any of you have a favorite photo paper for general use?
I have some ilford Multigrade resin papers at the moment, but I want to try some fiber paper as well, but which to choose?
Which paper developers are a good general choice? It does not matter if liquid or powder developers.
I think that choosing a good paper and process chemistry and then keeping with them should be a good way to learn.
Old August 16th 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default B/W Papers.

On 8/16/2010 12:27 PM Darkroom User spake thus:

Which paper developers are a good general choice? It does not matter if
liquid or powder developers.

Dektol. Dektol. Dektol.

(Or whatever Ilford's equivalent is if you're in the UK.)

Old August 17th 10, 06:36 AM
IanG IanG is offline
Junior Member

Ilford Multigrade developer will give better results than Dektol/D72, it has a better dish life and is optimised for Multigrade papers, there can be colour shifts between grades with Dektol.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Nebenzahl View Post

Old August 17th 10, 04:43 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom User View Post
Do any of you have a favorite photo paper for general use?
I have some ilford Multigrade resin papers at the moment, but I want to try some fiber paper as well, but which to choose?
Which paper developers are a good general choice? It does not matter if liquid or powder developers.
I think that choosing a good paper and process chemistry and then keeping with them should be a good way to learn.
I also suggest using Ilford Multigrade developer as your regular paper-developer.
Old August 18th 10, 04:51 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom User View Post
Do any of you have a favorite photo paper for general use?
I use Ilford papers, although I did try a sample pack of Fomatone MG recently.

MG-IV FB is Ilford's standard paper if you want to use fibre-based papers and MG-WT FB if you prefer a warmer image. There is also Galerie which is available in grades 2 and 3 only.
My contact-sheets are made on MG-IV RC glossy paper.

Multigrade developer diluted 1+9 works very well with all of those papers.
I also use Ilford Stop-Bath, Rapid Fixer and Wash-Aid, as they are available at my local photographic store.
Old August 18th 10, 09:08 PM
IanG IanG is offline
Junior Member

I'm deliberately being rude posting before the quote
because the whole NewsGroup system stinks, there's now too many ways to access, some say post before the quote others after.

Posts like these 2 of Keith's show up via PhotoBanter but not via a News Group reader, they will later no doubt.

Keith knows me personally so he'll know my rant is sincere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom User View Post
Do any of you have a favorite photo paper for general use?
I have some ilford Multigrade resin papers at the moment, but I want to try some fiber paper as well, but which to choose?
Which paper developers are a good general choice? It does not matter if liquid or powder developers.
I think that choosing a good paper and process chemistry and then keeping with them should be a good way to learn.
To the OP

My favourite paper since the demise of Record Rapid has to be Forte Polywarmtone, I bought in bulk, I have 75 sheets left 16"x12" but maybe 150 sheets of larger sizes so possibly another 300+ sheets 16"X12" when cut down to size. Luckily Mirko hpes to make more

IAn

Last edited by IanG : August 18th 10 at 09:14 PM.
Old August 19th 10, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Darkroom User wrote:
Do any of you have a favorite photo paper for general use?
I have some ilford Multigrade resin papers at the moment, but I want to
try some fiber paper as well, but which to choose?
Which paper developers are a good general choice? It does not matter if
liquid or powder developers.
I think that choosing a good paper and process chemistry and then
keeping with them should be a good way to learn.

It is. Too many people want to experiment all over the place and get
lost. It's hard to screw up with Ilford paper and Dektol type developer.
If you can't make good prints with those materials, you need to work on
your technique. After you have mastered these, maybe venture out to see
what different look you can get with something else.

Stephaney