B&W Mailers or Kits?

Old August 13th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

Default B&W Mailers or Kits?

I met with one of the local photography clubs and confirmed what I
suspected, that being no one local processes B&W film.

What are my mail order options in the US? Any recommendations either way?
I am looking for process only and sleeved negatives, no prints.

Failing that, are there any simple one-shot-do-it-at-home kits to do a
single roll of 35mm B&W? I am looking for a minimum investment in chemicals
that will go bad, before I use them.

-Jim

Old August 13th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"jimkramer" wrote

no one local processes B&W film.
I am looking for process only and sleeved negatives, no prints.
are there any simple one-shot-do-it-at-home kits

Freestyle sells a few kits sans chemicals. It is nice
to have a set of trays for making proof sheets. Hewes reels
are a lot nicer than plastic reels.

For chemicals, the liquid concentrates are convenient, but
pricey: a bottle each of film developer, paper developer, rapid
fix and photo-flo are all you really need. A pack of
some cheap RC paper for proof sheets and you are done. Concentrated
chemicals will usually last well over a year.

For a safelight for making contact sheets a red colored bulb
safelight works as well as any. A red Xmas tree light, shoved
under something to dim the light, works in a pinch. Just flick
the room lights to expose the paper. A sheet of glass is all the
contact frame you are likely to need for the occasional proof.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index2.htm

Old August 13th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
Freestyle sells a few kits sans chemicals. It is nice
to have a set of trays for making proof sheets. Hewes reels
are a lot nicer than plastic reels.

I've never used the Hewes reels, and I have never been able to sucessfully
load stainless steel reels. The best ones IMHO are the Paterson teflon reels
made for a short time in the early 1980's (they are an off pink color), with
their regular reels second.

If you have problems loading either kind of reel, Kodak made an "apron" tank,
which used a plastic sheet with bumps on it where the film perferations touch.
You just roll them together. Freestyle sells them.

If you only have use of one hand or very little dexterity in both hands,
you can often find used a Kodak Dayload tank. You put the film in a little
rolling clip still in the cassette, put the tank together and turn the knob
until it winds fully on the reel. Then you turn the cover of the film end
to cut the film and turn the knob to finish the job. The lightight film
cover comes off with the cassette, which you remove and develop away.

Geoff.

Old August 13th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Nadvornick

"jimkramer" wrote:

I met with one of the local photography clubs and confirmed what I
suspected, that being no one local processes B&W film.

What are my mail order options in the US? Any recommendations either way?
I am looking for process only and sleeved negatives, no prints.

Send it to me if you like, Jim. If it's only an occasional few rolls, I'll
process it for free (you're one of the few good guys around here) and mail it
back in sleeves. But unlike professional labs, you'll have to learn to live
without fingerprints, dirt and scratches.

Ken

Old August 13th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

"Ken Nadvornick" wrote in message
. ..
"jimkramer" wrote:

I met with one of the local photography clubs and confirmed what I
suspected, that being no one local processes B&W film.

What are my mail order options in the US? Any recommendations either
way?
I am looking for process only and sleeved negatives, no prints.

Send it to me if you like, Jim. If it's only an occasional few rolls,
I'll
process it for free (you're one of the few good guys around here) and mail
it
back in sleeves. But unlike professional labs, you'll have to learn to
live
without fingerprints, dirt and scratches.

Ken

What about drip marks? :-)

I may take you up on at least part of that offer; I don't expect you to do
it for free. But I'm running out of affordable, i.e. no big up front costs,
options and the mail services I have been able to find want to throw prints
in as part of the fee or charge what I consider exorbitant fees $15.00 for
process only and return is a bit steep in my books, I apparently got spoiled
at $3.50 a roll sleeved in a single strip in NC.

Thanks,
-Jim

Old August 13th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 8/13/2008 6:41 AM jimkramer spake thus:

I met with one of the local photography clubs and confirmed what I
suspected, that being no one local processes B&W film.

Actually, this is not quite true, even for those processors who do not
actually process standard B&W film. There's always that alternative,
chromogenic C-41 black and white, which can be processed by anyone who
does C-41 (practically everyone with a photo lab).

I've never used the stuff, so can't vouch for it one way or the other,
but it is an alternative.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Old August 13th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bruce[_4_]

"jimkramer" wrote:

I met with one of the local photography clubs and confirmed what I
suspected, that being no one local processes B&W film.

Surely there is a local minilab that will process C41 colour film? If
so, all you have to do is buy yourself some Ilford XP2 Super or Kodak
BW400CN film (process C41) and take it to that minilab.

Old August 13th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Actually, this is not quite true, even for those processors who do not
actually process standard B&W film. There's always that alternative,
chromogenic C-41 black and white, which can be processed by anyone who
does C-41 (practically everyone with a photo lab).

There are two versions. One is a standard black and white film designed
to be printed on regular black and white paper.

The other has an orange mask, designed to be printed on color paper.

I've never used the stuff, so can't vouch for it one way or the other,
but it is an alternative.

From my experince they are quite good, but I only used the Ilford and
Agfa versions. They have a wide exposure range, the Ilford film XP2, can
be used at ISO 50 up to 800, and still produce useable negatives.

I used to use it's predecessor XP1 at ISO 1600 with no problems.

The interesting thing about it is that while you do get a difference
in the negatives at different ISO speeds, you can mix them on the
same roll, as the processing is the same.

XP2 is has a clear base, so it works best with black and white paper.
Poorly calibrated 1 hour labs produce prints with an orange tint.

According to Kodak's web site their product BW400CN, has an orange
mask so that it can be printed as if it were a color negative.
This works better in one hour labs.

They used to make a clear version too, but I can't find it on their
website. They may have discontinued it.

Geoff.

Old August 13th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jimkramer

"Bruce" wrote in message
news
"jimkramer" wrote:

I met with one of the local photography clubs and confirmed what I
suspected, that being no one local processes B&W film.

Surely there is a local minilab that will process C41 colour film? If
so, all you have to do is buy yourself some Ilford XP2 Super or Kodak
BW400CN film (process C41) and take it to that minilab.

That will not take care of the Neopan 1600 that is currently in my film
camera nor will it address the other 12 rolls of real B&W film that I have
to use up. That's what I get for moving out of state. :-(
-Jim

Old August 13th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bruce[_4_]

"jimkramer" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
news
"jimkramer" wrote:

I met with one of the local photography clubs and confirmed what I
suspected, that being no one local processes B&W film.

Surely there is a local minilab that will process C41 colour film? If
so, all you have to do is buy yourself some Ilford XP2 Super or Kodak
BW400CN film (process C41) and take it to that minilab.

That will not take care of the Neopan 1600 that is currently in my film
camera nor will it address the other 12 rolls of real B&W film that I have
to use up. That's what I get for moving out of state. :-(

I gave up using traditional B&W film long ago. But my local Wal-Mart
still develops lots of film, and they don't plan to discontinue it any
time soon.