Jobo atl3

Old August 14th 10, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Jobo atl3

On 8/14/2010 2:36 AM Darkroom User spake thus:

Unfortunately, Apple-Mail cannot be used for Newsgroups. I have edited
out the color tags this time. :-)

Then get something suitable for newsgroups. Like Thunderbird (what I
use), which is free. (Also works for email.) Go to
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird to get it.

And as someone else pointed out, it's rude and goes against the grain
here to top-post. Just look at other postings here to see what the
convention is.

Old August 18th 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default Pyro Developers Question.

"IanG" wrote:
Nicholas Lindan wrote:
What does "more tonality" mean?

Nothing.
"Tonality" as applied to photography and as
near as I can tell means the writer, using
developer X and film Y, made some
photos he liked.

If you don't understand the word Tonality I suggest you think about
the subtleties [sic] of of [sic] how tones change within an image, it's
not
measured with a densitometer, it's not scientific and it's more
important to image quality.

I can see I understand the word very well.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Old August 19th 10, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

IanG wrote:
On 9 Aug, 07:32, "Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:
"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

What does "more tonality" mean?

Nothing.

"Tonality" as applied to photography and as
near as I can tell means the writer, using
developer X and film Y, made some
photos he liked .

"More Tonality" means he "more liked" his
photos.

"Tonality" is a word that should be removed
from the language. We don't have "colorality"
or "tastality" and have never missed them.

I think. I hope. Better check.

Oh dear, "tastality" comes up with 14 hits,
"colorality" 47. Thankfully used in a
mocking context ...

I think we can say that negatives developed
in Pyro have more "Pyrality" and leave it
at that.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm
n o lindan at ix dot netcom dot com

If you don't understand the word Tonality I suggest you think about
the subtleties of of how tones change within an image, it's not
measured with a densitometer, it's not scientific and it's more
important to image quality.

The subtleties of how the tones (reflectances) change within an image
are shown perfectly well in the D/H curve of the printing system, from
subject to negative to positive print. And these things are measurable
with a spot-meter, a transmission densitometer, and a reflection
densitometer, respectively. When looking at a print, the human eye
replaces the reflectance densitometer, of course.

But I fail to see how "more tonality" can mean anything. The difference
between the minimum and maximum density of a print can be changed a bit
by technical means, and that could mean something. The average slope of
the D/H curve can be changed by changing the development time (contrast
adjustment). So you could have more lightness, more contrast, etc. But
those are not so much subtleties as normal results of the photographic
process. Changing the fundamental shapes, such as the contrast in the
toe, the "straight line", and the shoulder of the print might be subtle,
to the extent that it can be accomplished, but there you really need to
illustrate what you mean by showing the curves themselves. "More" or
"less" are meaningless in this context.

^^-^^ 07:15:01 up 8 days, 10:34, 3 users, load average: 4.80, 4.91, 4.93
Old September 6th 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
IanG wrote:
On 9 Aug, 07:32, "Nicholas O. Lindan"
wrote:
"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

[...]

.~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User
85642.
/V\ PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A Registered Machine
241939.
^^-^^ 07:15:01 up 8 days, 10:34, 3 users, load average:
4.80, 4.91, 4.93

This is the kind of rubbish one finds in high end
audio. The claim that something can be sensed but not
measured. Since your senses _are_ measuring things any
difference that can be seen or heard can be measured. To say
otherwise is to deny the lessons learned from the entire
history of science. There is a perfectly enormous amount of
valid material on tone reproduction in photgraphic processes
in the literature. I strongly suggest people who want some
real understanding read some of it.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA