Favourite B&W Films.

Old March 7th 09, 10:45 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Default Favourite B&W Films.

What is your favourite B&W Camera film for general use and what is it that you like about it?
Old March 7th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Keith Tapscott." wrote

What is your favourite B&W Camera film for general use and what is it
that you like about it?

Depends on the format:

35mm TechPan/Technidol Gives a MF/LF format look while having 35mm
system flexibility in lenses, finders,
viewpoints...
TMX/Microdol-X Very low grain, unfortunately no LF look

120&4x5 TMX/D-76 Low grain, D-76 gives a bit more detail
in the shadows than M-X

8x10: TMY/D-76 Extra grain not much of a concern
extra speed is nice

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Old March 8th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Keith Tapscott. wrote:
What is your favourite B&W Camera film for general use and what is it
that you like about it?

Kodak TMY. It has the straightest H/D curve I have ever seen, when developed
in Xtol developer 1+1.

N.B.: many photographers do not like a straight H/D curve because there is
_no_ margin for underexposure.

^^-^^ 18:25:01 up 45 days, 10:16, 3 users, load average: 4.14, 4.51, 5.06
Old March 8th 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Michael[_6_]

On 2009-03-07 16:45:50 -0500, Keith Tapscott.
said:

What is your favourite B&W Camera film for general use and what is it
that you like about it?

Tri-X. It is fast enough, a little bit grainy but not too grainy. For
35mm it has the photojournalist look, in MF the grain is negligible and
it is just a great all around film.
--
Michael

Old March 8th 09, 07:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

On 2009-03-07 16:45:50 -0500, Keith Tapscott.

Tri-X. It is fast enough, a little bit grainy but not too grainy. For
35mm it has the photojournalist look, in MF the grain is negligible and
it is just a great all around film.

I would agree with that.

My favorite landscape film was Adox KB14, and the recent modern
incarnations I have heard are similar on better stock.

The whole Panatomic-X, Plus-X, Tri-X and the ASA 1200 film (2745/2475
Recording film, whatever it was called) all had a good "look" IMHO and
each had it's use. Personally, I think that Plus-X would have been a
better choice for last man standing, but I think it an Tri-X are both
still available somewhere.

T-Max is IMHO one of those films that if you understand its limitations and
process it properly can produce wonderful photographs and if you don't
will cause you much grief. With the right developer and proper exposure,
T-Max 100 is a worthy replacement for Panatomic-X.

My choice for favorite film developer is hands down, no contest Edwal-FG7,
with a second for Rodinal. They are very different formulas, with very different
results, but if you are the least bit careful, it's difficult to get a
unusable negative with either.

It may, depending upon your definition of good, be hard to get a good one
with Rodinal, but it won't leave you with a black or blank film.

Just a little wandering off topic, my favorite color fim was Ektar 25,
and I hope to try the new Ektar this summer. Although it was color, it produced
negatives with the grain and contrast that I looked for in Black and White
film and would have no complaints if it was the last film made. Unfortunately,
it's been gone for what, 20 years now?

I'm also hoping to get my hands on some Lucky film. I was able to find
a few rolls of their color film, which I have not shot, but would love
to try their black and white film. I understand the older stuff (and maybe
current production) does not have an anti-halation coating and produces
some interesting results with highlights.

Geoff.

Old March 8th 09, 04:45 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

My own personal favourites are Ilford FP4+ & HP5+ both processed with Kodak D-76 developer diluted 1:1 and enlarged on Ilford Multigrade IV papers, both RC & FB. I also like Kodak T-Max 100 & 400 films for certain subjects and these are my reserve choice. I like the tonality of the traditional Ilford films.
I have also tried Fuji 100 Acros which is very fine-grained, but I`m not too keen on it to be honest.
Old March 8th 09, 05:00 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas O. Lindan View Post
"Keith Tapscott." wrote

What is your favourite B&W Camera film for general use and what is it
that you like about it?

Depends on the format:

35mm TechPan/Technidol Gives a MF/LF format look while having 35mm
system flexibility in lenses, finders,
viewpoints...
TMX/Microdol-X Very low grain, unfortunately no LF look

120&4x5 TMX/D-76 Low grain, D-76 gives a bit more detail
in the shadows than M-X

8x10: TMY/D-76 Extra grain not much of a concern
extra speed is nice

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio.
I have used Kodak Technical Pan a few times with the Technidol developer and it produced extraordinary detail and clarity, but I didn`t like the look of the prints for some reason. I also like the T-Max films although I prefer the `LOOK` of the traditional Ilford films.
I tend to choose B&W films for their pictorial qualities rather than purely for their technical qualities although this is just my own personal preference.
I was interested to see what other photographers liked, so thanks for all the replies so far.
Old March 8th 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lawrence Akutagawa

I'll toss in my favorite duo - Ilford Pan F and Rodinal. Pan F Plus is not
bad, but I personally like Pan F, of which I still have a number of 50 foot
rolls in the freezer. The Agfapan 25 and Rodinal combo also was very, very
nice...but I have long ago run out of Agfapan 25.

Old March 9th 09, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Michael[_6_]

On 2009-03-08 01:48:51 -0500, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" said:

The whole Panatomic-X, Plus-X, Tri-X and the ASA 1200 film (2745/2475
Recording film, whatever it was called) all had a good "look" IMHO and
each had it's use. Personally, I think that Plus-X would have been a
better choice for last man standing, but I think it an Tri-X are both
still available somewhere.

Yes,, Plus X and Tri X are quite available, in 35mm, 120 and 220.

--
Michael

Old March 9th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Charles Hohenstein

In article 2009030822222675249-adunc79617@mypacksnet,

On 2009-03-08 01:48:51 -0500, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
said:

The whole Panatomic-X, Plus-X, Tri-X and the ASA 1200 film (2745/2475
Recording film, whatever it was called) all had a good "look" IMHO and
each had it's use. Personally, I think that Plus-X would have been a
better choice for last man standing, but I think it an Tri-X are both
still available somewhere.

Yes,, Plus X and Tri X are quite available, in 35mm, 120 and 220.

Unfortunately, I don't believe Plus-X is available in 220 anymore. Tri-X
320 is the only 220 black and white film in current production, if I am
not mistaken. I wish that it were otherwise.

--
Charles Hohenstein (to reply, remove Gene Robinson)

"The sad huddle of affluent bedwetters, thumbsuckers,
treehuggers, social*climbers, homophiles, quavery ladies,
and chronic petition signers that*makes up the current
Episcopal Church . . ." -‹Thomas Lipscomb