Why I love digital

Old March 27th 05, 05:54 PM
Alex

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:03:05 -0500, "mike regish"
wrote:

Chimping?

Checking the results of the latest shots on the LCD. (Especially when
you could, instead, be setting up another shot.)

--
Alex
atheist #2007
Old March 27th 05, 05:54 PM
Alan Browne

mike regish wrote:

Chimping?

Looking at the monitor 'tween shots to verify histo, composition, "got
it"-ness, etc. Abuse runs down batteries, but can also result in files
being deleted out of sheer embarrasment.

Old March 27th 05, 05:57 PM
Frank ess

mike regish wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey Mike,

It sounds like you are having a great time with you camera.

I love it. I'll be having a ball learning all the little things it
can do.

So when you were shooting from the air where you the one flying?

Yep. I've got a nice stable plane with a little window I can flip
down and stick the lens out. It pretty much flies hands off even in
somewhat bumpy air.

There are a lot of places that can host photo, each person seems to
have the own favorite, I use Pbase.com, $23/year for 200MB of
storage. Pbase pretty much does everything for you and is very easy
to use.

I've got 10 meg of webspace for free with my server. Just have to
figure out how to use it, but I'll check out Pbase.

FotoTime.com offer a 30-day free trial for their 'storage', ~$2.00 per
month payable yearly in advance for 500MB, 10X that in monthly
bandwidth. I have more than 6,000 images there in direct-view albums and
Web site-linked images, creeping up on the 500MB mark.

You can control who sees what:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/0561F14D1162744 Dave Smith's photos album

http://www.fototime.com/inv/144F29F37B4AF28 range of albums (Torrey
Pines 1952)

http://www.fototime.com/1588D83E0D7F427/orig.jpg Individual photo
(Gilles Villeneuve)

http://www.fototime.com/7E7FE11D3CD63C0/orig.jpg Individual phot (Infra
red)

For an additional ~$18.00 per year they will host your videos, which can
be viewed in original format or their converted version, which works
good:
http://www.fototime.com/00091D6C9BCAE3B/conv.wmv video from Minolta
Dimmidge Xt

--
Frank ess

Old March 27th 05, 07:04 PM
Matt Silberstein

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:20:00 -0600, in rec.photo.digital , Ron Hunter
in wrote:

mike regish wrote:
My 7D was waiting for me when I got home from work Friday. I took it out of
the box and knew I was going to love this camera. But looking at all the
buttons dials, knobs and little hidden gizmos on it, I figured I'd be
playing with it at least a couple of weeks just to get the basics. The
reviews all said it was easier than it looks, and they were right. After
some backyard shots to see what it would do and figuring out how to put
settings into its memory, I went out today and shot 104 pix from the air to
see how it handled and how the anti shake worked. Got a good day for it.
Mostly clear with a little haze, but not bad and just enough wind to make
things a little bumpy down low.

The great thing about digital-Get home, plug the card into the PC and view
away, while the conditions are fresh in my memory. Don't worry about
shooting a partial roll. No drive to the photo finisher. No drive back to
pick up the prints. Anything I want to blow up-at least to 8x10-I can do
right at home. (BTW-I have a darkroom for both BW and color. This is much
more fun.)

Out of 104 shots there were maybe a half dozen that were too blurred to use,
but I knew I was getting bounced too much for any stabilization system to
take it out. The shutter fires the instant you push it and the antishake
takes out all but the worst bumps.

If I ever figure out how to put up a halfway decent website, I'll post some.
This camera brings back the parts I missed about my Nikon 8008s, and it does
pretty much everything better than even that camera.

There are still a lot of options I've got to check out, but basic operation
with a lot of flexibility can be mastered in a couple of hours.

OK UC. I know you're out there.

mike

P.S. Oh yeah. I ended up getting it from ibuydigital.com. A&M sux.

Don't forget one of the best features of digital for learning, the EXIF
data to tell you WHY your picture didn't look like it should!

Does EXIF have a "How stupid am I field"? If not, I don't know that it
can tell me all about why my pictures don't look right.

--
Matt Silberstein

Old March 27th 05, 07:10 PM
Frank ess

Scott W wrote:
mike regish wrote:
Chimping?

mike

Chimping is the act of looking at your photos on the camera.
For a very funny look at chimping go here
http://www.sportsshooter.com/special...ing/index.html

I enjoyed that..

The Sports Shooter site has a bunch of interesting stuff, but the most
useful for everyone may be at:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news_story.html?id=1127

I reckon just about everyone could profit from digesting the hints,
explicit and implicit, on that page.

--
Frank ess

Old March 27th 05, 07:13 PM
Alfred Molon

See here why it's a good idea to switch to digital:
(from http://www.largeformatphotography.info/pollack.html )

"I wade out into swamp waist deep to a good spot. I set up tripod. I
adjust tripod. I wade back and get camera. Set camera on tripod. Level
camera. Camera is to far from subject. Move camera and tripod. Relevel
camera. wade back and get darkcloth and focusing loupe. Tripod has
setteled into the mud, rerelevel camera. Spend 1/2 hour tring to focus.
Getfocused. Wade back with cloth and loupe. get film plate and meter.
Remember I forgot filter. Put down film and meter run back to car for
filter. Wade back out. Install filter behind lens. Instaling filter
messes up focusing. Go back for dark cloth and loupe. Refocusing this
time only takes ten minutes. Wade back with loupe and cloth and repick
up film and meter. meter area and do mental calculations figuring what
zones fall where, what EV you want to put in shadows and highlights
making a mental note to adjust development to N-1 to compress contrast
of the negative density values of your highlights and figuring in
adjustments in exposure for the installed filter, coming up with an
exposure of f45 for 2 seconds, which means that you need to consider the
reciprocity failure curve for the film you are using and ultimatly
winging it at f45 for 4.5 seconds!!! Go back to shore because you for
got cable release. wade back and install cable release. insert film
holder into camera but you forgot to lockup all the camera movments and
now your out of focus again (sigh). Wade back for cloth and loupe
refocus and lock up all adjustments, carfully insert film and remove
film slide. I forgot to close the lens apature and the film is over
exposed before I took 1 picture. No problem, 2 sided film holder. Gently
insert film slide and remove film holder gently turn holder over and
reinsert side 2. Close lens apature, remove film slide, Cock the shutter
and finaly whats the hells going on now . A cloud has covered the sun
!!!!!! you get your meter and recheck your calculations this won't do .
So you wait and wait a little longer, swat some mesquitoes , and wait
and just when your ready to kick the whole mess into the drink, out pops
the sun. Place apature on 45 set shutter to B look at your watch, ready
set depress cable release, one , two, three, four, and a
half.......release. Place dark slide back in to film holder. Remove film
holder. take camera off tri pod. Wade back w/ camera. Wade back with
tripod. Dry off self . Take the whole thing apart. hike it back to your
car. replace film holder in back pack. wait a minute I,m holding film
holder # 4. I exposed #4 five hours ago down the road. wade back out w/
tripod.........................Get home, place add in Shuterbug
Clasifieds, drive to Walgreens and buy kodak disposable camera. (Just
kidding, I left it all in the swamp!!!)"

--

Alfred Molon

Old March 27th 05, 07:13 PM
Matt Silberstein

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:04:32 -0600, in rec.photo.digital , Ron Hunter
in wrote:

[snip]

I never have been able to deal with a neckstrap. For one thing, it
makes me feel hot all the time, and for another, I can't imagine hanging
a camera around my neck so that any time I bend forward to look as
something, the lens of the camera slams into whatever is below my
head... That's one reason I won't buy a camera I can't pocket.

I don't share your view, but I understand it. I just got back from a
trip to Costa Rica (fewer good pictures than the last trip, but better
hiking). I had my camera, my sunglasses, my binoculars, and my hat
with strings around my neck. And my backpack. On a hike like that I
would want the camera clipped to something, the time to get the
picture can be very short. But a small camera could have been clipped
to a vest or the backpack I suppose.

And, yes, my neck was very sore at the end of the day. But I did get
to see lots of monkeys and have one or two good shots of them.

--
Matt Silberstein