[SI] Yet another bad one

Old February 4th 11, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default [SI] Yet another bad one

The latest addition to Bad Travel:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132292512
Old February 4th 11, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dickr2

Bowser wrote:
The latest addition to Bad Travel:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132292512

Maybe it's just me, but I think some travel photos document places
you've been, people, sites and other shots that can be placed in an
album for reminiscing years from now. "Remember when you were standing
on that corner in San Francisco?" The photo certainly isn't an artistic
masterpiece, but it is a keepsake.

JMHO
Dick
Old February 4th 11, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2011.02.04 16:39 , dickr2 wrote:
Bowser wrote:
The latest addition to Bad Travel:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132292512

Maybe it's just me, but I think some travel photos document places
you've been, people, sites and other shots that can be placed in an
album for reminiscing years from now. "Remember when you were standing
on that corner in San Francisco?" The photo certainly isn't an artistic
masterpiece, but it is a keepsake.

Certainly. And that's all the shot was meant to be.

But as a photo it's just horrible. Mid day. No fill flash. Backpack
hanging on the hydrant. Clutter. Other tourist making same shot
(backlit no less) on the edge of the frame. Ya-da-yada. Cliché of that
famous corner now a part of a tourist magnet with the same damned kind
of shops you find anywhere else in their tourist traps...

(I was rushed. To frame the street signs on the sun side of the shot I
was standing in the traffic flow of Ashbury ... I could practically hear
the regulars: "Ah, cripes not another fricken tourist standing in the
street again...".)

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

Old February 4th 11, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-02-04 13:01:05 -0800, Bowser said:

The latest addition to Bad Travel:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132292512

Crepe e

Savageduck

Old February 4th 11, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

Bowser wrote:
[...]

Not to mention no flowers in her hair.

Scott McKenzie did the iconic version of "If You Come To San
Francisco", but the Mamas & the Papas come to mind whenever I hear a
song from this era.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 4th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:01:05 -0500, Bowser wrote:
: The latest addition to Bad Travel:
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132292512

Very nice! The picture is crooked, ugly, and poorly cropped. But the
outstanding touch is that the photographer under the "Crepe E" sign appears to
be a miniature figure mounted atop the pole beside the fire hydrant. All in
all, an exceptional response to the mandate.

At least Saint Frank has a street sign at the corner of Haight and Ashbury. In
Cambridge there's NO SIGN at the corner of Bow and Arrow Streets! :^(

Bob
Old February 4th 11, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Bowser wrote:
The latest addition to Bad Travel:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132292512

Did she have particularly ugly shoes that you didn't want to show?
evil grin
Old February 5th 11, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Graham

Bowser wrote:
[...]

I thought it was great. My wife lived two blocks from there for several
years. (Cole and Carl Sts) I fowarded it to her. It reminded us of the good
old days in SF.......

Old February 5th 11, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Graham

Paul Furman wrote:
Bowser wrote:
The latest addition to Bad Travel:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132292512

Did she have particularly ugly shoes that you didn't want to show?
evil grin

Looks to me like it was either the shoes or the Haight-Ashbury sign........
Old February 5th 11, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Bill Graham wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Bowser wrote:
The latest addition to Bad Travel:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132292512

Did she have particularly ugly shoes that you didn't want to show?
evil grin

Looks to me like it was either the shoes or the Haight-Ashbury sign........

Back up and squat down or walk uphill some & use a longer lens?