[SI] Traditions die hard...

Old January 9th 12, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

Default [SI] Traditions die hard...

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 13:21:14 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 12:51:33 -0500, Bowser wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 10:57:28 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2012-01-06 19:23 , Bowser wrote:
Well, we've had better turnouts...

http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/shootin/traditions

Did you receive my phot?

Yes, I did and it's posted. I'll be sending you some info for the
accounts today, as well.

I didn't submit to "Traditions" because our family has no traditions
to photograph other than family gatherings. All photos from those are
just snapshots.

A suggestion for a future Shoot-In: Working. The subject should be
people performing their job.

Thereby leaving out all those who have retired.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old January 9th 12, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank S

Default [SI] Traditions die hard... And a question or two.

On 2012-01-06 19:23 , Bowser wrote:
Well, we've had better turnouts...

http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/shootin/traditions

Did you receive my phot?

Yes, I did and it's posted. I'll be sending you some info for the
accounts today, as well.

I didn't submit to "Traditions" because our family has no traditions
to photograph other than family gatherings. All photos from those are
just snapshots.

A suggestion for a future Shoot-In: Working. The subject should be
people performing their job.

Thereby leaving out all those who have retired.

I'm retired, and I work at a job: trying to remember how I ever found time
to go to a workplace and earn a pay check.

To be honest, the hardest work I do is to keep remembering anything at all.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes unintentional fabrications. But hey,
it's all good fun.

My suggestion for a new mandate: "UGLY; I mean UgggLLLEEEEE!" Seek out a
wart hog for an intimate portrait, or (your choice of animal, vegetable,
mineral subjects) or perhaps an entire photograph that turned out ugly,
uglier, ugliest among all your efforts.

I just found two boxes of boxes of slides, probably six thousand total,
cardboard- and plastic-mounted, all from the mid-1980s, it appears. I've
looked at a couple hundred by now, and I have two reactions; three,
actually: 1) I must have thought I was shooting digital, judging by the
number of exposures, bracketing, slight compositional variations, etc, etc.
I am not, was not, rich enough to continue that, which must have accounted
for the abandonment of photography for a couple decades or so. 2) (about
half of the boxes) "What ever made me think I could be a photographer,
anyway?". 3) (the other half) "Hey, pretty good! Original and well-done
overall!" Of course I'm biased.

One example of number Three evidence: I was photo-ing at an Indy car race
at Long Beach. I loved that stuff, circus that it was. Made the obligatory
car portraits, a few driver portraits, a few on-track action shots, then
came across a vignette that captured my imagination: someone had
strong-armed four well-known, accomplished drivers and was posing them for
(what looked like to me) a group of amateur photographers who had somehow
gained access to the paddock. I was behind the drivers, and looking into the
sun. Figured my angle would be more interesting than the over-done front
view, and stood my ground while the shooters snapped away.

There they were, the drivers, "a little closer together, please", and at
least one of them didn't have the patience or interest to hold still.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/6...f2ef32ba_z.jpg grab one
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6...38a8951c_z.jpg tousle two
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6...cd7e8061_z.jpg grab attempt
three
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6...1e5c2a93_z.jpg disgusted at
all the grabbing four

They a prime grabber and horseplayer, Danny Sullivan; victim, Al Unser,
Jr.; obstacle in the white suit and ultimate tongue-sticker-out, Bruno
Giacomelli (aka: Jack O'Malley); undisclosed blue-suited ex-world-champion,
Emerson Fittipaldi.

For the equipment-minded, it was either a Canon A-1 or a F-1n and the lens I
can't remember. No EXIF data available. All these years while the slides
were buried in disinterest and neglect I thought it was the Canon 24mm 2
point something and I would have been too far away for it to yield enough
detail to show what was happening, but I can't tell from looking, and it
seemed pretty good.

Film was Fujichrome RD ASA 100. I think. I over-overexposed to compensate
for the backlighting, so Mr Photo Shop lept in and got some color back. Like
them?

Since the thoughtful, generous folks at Nikon refuse to supply a scanning
system update for ed5000 and Win7, I've been trying to learn VueScan. It
seems to be OK, but ... For slide scanning they offer Generic and Kodak.
Why no Fuji, or is it hidden somewhere I haven't found yet? To my eye the
Kodak Ektachrome setting seems to work best for Fuji.

Any road, every day is an adventure, if I remember to notice.

--
Frank ess

Old January 10th 12, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

:
: wrote:
:
: On 2012-01-06 19:23 , Bowser wrote:
: Well, we've had better turnouts...
:
: http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/shootin/traditions
:
: Did you receive my phot?
:
: Yes, I did and it's posted. I'll be sending you some info for the
: accounts today, as well.
:
: I didn't submit to "Traditions" because our family has no traditions
: to photograph other than family gatherings. All photos from those are
: just snapshots.

I think it's wrong to denigrate snapshots. The more experience I get as an
event photographer, the more I realize that good event photography is just
snapshots done well. Each snapshot has to be of some interest to at least one
participant in the event, and there's a minimum level of quality required; but
trying to get cute and pretend to an overarching artistic mission usually just
makes the photographer look silly.

: A suggestion for a future Shoot-In: Working. The subject should be
: people performing their job.

I'll have my wife photograph me at 5:35 AM, lugging my laptop computer and a
large camera bag to my car so that I can drive to the station in time for my
6:00 train into town. :^|

Bob
Old January 10th 12, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
: A suggestion for a future Shoot-In: Working. The subject should be
: people performing their job.

I'll have my wife photograph me at 5:35 AM, lugging my laptop computer and
large camera bag to my car so that I can drive to the station in time for
my
6:00 train into town. :^|

That wouldn't be "working" then, just going to work.

Trevor.

Old January 11th 12, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 2012-01-06 19:23 , Bowser wrote:
Well, we've had better turnouts...

http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/shootin/traditions

Did you receive my phot?

Yes, I did and it's posted. I'll be sending you some info for the
accounts today, as well.

Does this mean Alan will be the new moderator?

I didn't submit because I had nothing worthwhile, and the commentaries
have been sparse.

Anyway, thank you Bowser for your efforts.

--
Peter
Old January 11th 12, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default Traditions die hard...

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 19:44:43 -0800 (PST), Annika1980
wrote:

On Jan 6, 7:23*pm, Bowser wrote:
Well, we've had better turnouts...

http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/shootin/traditions

Not sending in a submission has become somewhat of a tradition for me.

You should have submitted that funny shot of those Christmas lights. I
was hoping for a few like that where people go way overboard on
lighting.