Anyone Heard the Omega D5V-XL Enlarger?

Old April 13th 05, 12:47 PM
J.Scheimpflug

"narke" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...] So I want to get
information from D5** users, does the lamp on their gear work as this
gradually quench way?

No it does not. There is something wrong with the system you are looking at.

Old April 13th 05, 02:23 PM
narke

J.Scheimpflug wrote,

No it does not. There is something wrong with the system you are

looking at.

Supposing there is really a problem, however, where the problem most
likely come from? I believe there is no other causes except the lamp
itself. Is my guess right?

Next time I want to replace the lamp and check again ( the current lamp
is a ELC 250W 24v), anyone know how to replace the lamp for the model?
the seller does not know how to because the guy is a middleman.

-
narke

Old April 13th 05, 03:26 PM
narke

God! I have to ask another question:

In my yesterday post I said, the Enlarger can mount with 50mm Rodagon
no problem. But I did make a mistake, becase the seller made mistake
on lens boxer, so the lens I checked yesterday is really a 80mm
Rodagon.

Today I went to the shop and mounted the exactly 50mm Rodagon and found
it really just does not focus! The seller answered that the 50mm lens
is bad and let me get the 80mm Rodagon instead. Recalling those
articles in the thread, I think the seller may be wrong. I remembered
some guys said here that the 50mm did not work just becuse the turret,
so this lead me to think: can I unmount the turrent and use the lens
only with the plate? Can this solve the focusing problem? And, can
this possible in the D5V color enlarger?

Old April 13th 05, 11:08 PM
David Starr

On 13 Apr 2005 07:26:19 -0700, "narke" wrote:

Today I went to the shop and mounted the exactly 50mm Rodagon and found
it really just does not focus! The seller answered that the 50mm lens
is bad and let me get the 80mm Rodagon instead. Recalling those
articles in the thread, I think the seller may be wrong. I remembered
some guys said here that the 50mm did not work just becuse the turret,
so this lead me to think: can I unmount the turrent and use the lens
only with the plate? Can this solve the focusing problem? And, can
this possible in the D5V color enlarger?

The back of the 50mm Rodagon extends quite a ways behind the threads.
This means you have to use an extended lens mounting plate so the back
of the lens will not hit the turret when it rotates. The thickness of
the turret, plus the extended plate, are what keep the 50mm lens from
focusing - it's too far from the negative.

Omega makes a flat plate that replaces the turret. This plate will
hold one lens and has screws on it like the turret does to hold the
lens plate. This thinner plate, and the flat lens mounting plate, get
the lens closer to the negative where it needs to be.

Also, on the D5, behind the bellows, there is a locking lever or screw
that lets you slide the bellows up & down. There's a scale on the
right side to set this adjustment. The bellows must be pushed all the
way up this slide mechanism & locked to get the 50mm to focus.

This is what I did on my D5, and everything works fine.

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography
Old April 14th 05, 12:57 AM
JON NOXON

I just checked my D-5 (non-XL version) with both my 50mm f2.8 El-Nikkor and
50mm f2.8 APO Rodagon-N on the turret. I have the enlarger mounted on a
bench with drop leaves to that I can make really high magnification
enlargements. The El-Nikkor is mounted per Omega's instructions, which means
a retaining ring is screwed onto the lens, and the lens is mounted to a
421-056 lens plate (the one with the threads for Leica-style threads). The
El-Nkkor will focus to at least 50 inches from the negative to the
baseboard, and the spacer allows the turret to rotate to my other lenses.
The APO Rodagon-N will focus to an even greater enlargement, but will not
allow the turret to rotate. As others have suggested, the best solution in
an amateur darkroom would be to have an extra slide-in lens board with the
lens mounted to it. I have to actually slide the lens board in first and
then mount a 28mm Componon to it, as the lens has to be mounted like a wide
angle lens on some view cameras.

To repeat, the 50mm f2.8 can be used with the turret (that is the turret
will rotate with the lens on it and it will focus); no way can the 50mm f2.8
APO Rodagon-N allow the turret to rotate, but has no problem with focus.

Too bad the manufactures never standardized the flange back focus on lenses,
especially 50mm!

Jon

Old April 14th 05, 01:38 AM
narke

Also, on the D5, behind the bellows, there is a locking lever or
screw
that lets you slide the bellows up & down. There's a scale on the
right side to set this adjustment. The bellows must be pushed all the
way up this slide mechanism & locked to get the 50mm to focus.

david, thanks for your information! today or tomorrow I will try again

Old April 14th 05, 02:00 AM
J.Scheimpflug

"narke" wrote in message
oups.com...

Today I went to the shop and mounted the exactly 50mm Rodagon and found
it really just does not focus!

Hold on, my friend.The enlarger has two bellows adjustments. You might have
to change it from the current setting.

Old April 14th 05, 02:03 AM
J.Scheimpflug

"narke" wrote in message
oups.com...
J.Scheimpflug wrote,

No it does not. There is something wrong with the system you are

looking at

Supposing there is really a problem, however, where the problem most
likely come from? I believe there is no other causes except the lamp
itself. Is my guess right?

I'm sorry, but I do not know. Someone with more knowledge of the timer/power
supply might be able to tell if it's even possible for the supply to taper
off. I doubt that it can.

Old April 14th 05, 10:31 AM
narke

Hold on, my friend.The enlarger has two bellows adjustments. You
might have to change it from the current setting.

What you mean two bellows adjustments, my friends :-)

-
narke