No 12mm rectilinear prime?

Old October 22nd 04, 07:04 PM
Sander Vesik

Default No 12mm rectilinear prime?

How come? Why do I have to buy a silly zoom lens that is
otherwise well covered by other prime lens to get down to 12mm?

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old October 22nd 04, 07:25 PM
Jeremy

"Sander Vesik" wrote in message
How come? Why do I have to buy a silly zoom lens that is
otherwise well covered by other prime lens to get down to 12mm?

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++

Do you think your zoom lens is rectilinear at 12mm?

Old October 22nd 04, 07:45 PM
Michael Benveniste

"Sander Vesik" wrote in message
How come? Why do I have to buy a silly zoom lens that is
otherwise well covered by other prime lens to get down to 12mm?

Just buy a rangefinder and you're all set:
http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt...l-m/index.html

Why? Because the manufacturers thought they'd make more money
from selling the zooms. We may eventually see 12mm primes for APS-
sensor dSLR's, but 12mm applications for a full-frame 35mm SLR are
quite limited.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old October 22nd 04, 07:57 PM
Lourens Smak

Sander Vesik wrote:

How come? Why do I have to buy a silly zoom lens that is
otherwise well covered by other prime lens to get down to 12mm?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ses/12mm.shtml

Lourens

Old October 22nd 04, 08:44 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Sander Vesik writes:

How come? Why do I have to buy a silly zoom lens that is
otherwise well covered by other prime lens to get down to 12mm?

Because digital cameras tend to be used with zooms, so there's a
demand for really wide zooms because of the smaller size of most
digital sensors?

Because it's a pain (i.e. expensive) to make a retrofocus with good
performance (esp. low distortion) that goes that wide?

Because more folks will buy a multi-purpose lens than a very
specialized wide angle?

But anyway, there is already a 12mm Voigtlaender from Cosina, whic
others have pointed out. Originally in Leica thread mount for the
Bessa cameras, it's also available in Nikon F mount, but requires
mirror lockup. See, for instance,
http://www.cameraquest.com/VCSL1215.htm
There's also an F-to-rangefinder adapter that mounts this on Nikon
rangefinders, and perhaps old Contax etc.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Old October 22nd 04, 09:27 PM
Martin Francis

"Sander Vesik" wrote in message
How come? Why do I have to buy a silly zoom lens that is
otherwise well covered by other prime lens to get down to 12mm?

Cosina make one for numerous cameras, including some MLU-enabled SLRs.

no, and yes...."