Converting Kodakchrome transparancies

Old December 15th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Mullikin

Default Converting Kodakchrome transparancies

This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer One
Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to digital
photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing seems to work
now. I've changed my OS to XPHome. Apparently Visioneer is now part of
Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate with them. Can
anyone suggest a solution?

Old December 15th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim[_16_]

"Ed Mullikin" wrote in message
This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer One
Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to digital
photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing seems to
work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome. Apparently Visioneer is now part
of Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate with them. Can
anyone suggest a solution?

My Nikon Coolscan does a very good job of scanning a slide and creating
whatver format of a digital image I desire.
It may be that some flatbed scanners also do good jobs.
I have successfully scanned Kodachrome, Kodachrome II, and Kodachrome 200
with the Coolscan IV.
Jim

Old December 15th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:48:39 -0500, Ed Mullikin wrote:

This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer
One Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to
digital photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing
seems to work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome. Apparently Visioneer
is now part of Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate
with them. Can anyone suggest a solution?

You might try a new or refurbished, inexpensive flatbed scanner from the
Epson online store. I've had excellent results with the ones made to do
slides/negatives using both MS and Linux.
Old December 16th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

"Ed Mullikin" wrote in message
This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer One
Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to digital
photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing seems to
work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome. Apparently Visioneer is now part
of Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate with them. Can
anyone suggest a solution?

My Nikon Coolscan does a very good job of scanning a slide and creating
whatver format of a digital image I desire.
It may be that some flatbed scanners also do good jobs.
I have successfully scanned Kodachrome, Kodachrome II, and Kodachrome 200
with the Coolscan IV.
Jim

Ditto. For prints I scan with a Canon 8600F and get excellent results
(IMHO).

--
I contend we are both atheists - I just believe in
one fewer god than you do.
Old December 16th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Mullikin

"Ockham's Razor" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote:

[...]

A little confusion here on my part. Prints I can scan fine with either of
my two scanners.
My Visioneer flatbed scanner that I used for slides has a mask with a hole
to fit the 2 X 2 inch slides. When converting the slides the cover had a
light in it that shown through the mask while the scanner moved beneath it.
It has been so long ago that I do not remember all of the details and
apparently the Nuance software no longer works with my scanner or possibly
the Vista Home OS. I don't want to buy a new scanner for this one shot
favor so I guess that I am stuck.

Old December 16th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 21:48:19 -0500, Ed Mullikin wrote:

It has been so long ago that I do not remember all of the details and
apparently the Nuance software no longer works with my scanner or
possibly the Vista Home OS. I don't want to buy a new scanner for
this one shot favor so I guess that I am stuck.

If the problem is due to incompatibility with Vista, you could use
a multi or dual boot manager to add your previous version of Windows
and remove it after scanning the slides or leave it installed for
future use. There are free versions and I found two here very
quickly using google. There are probably more free versions to be
found as well as several commercial products. There are links to
both product's home pages, and they appear to be quite good based on
the listed endorsements.

Boot Managers…
by John.Wilkinson Moderator - 5/20/07 3:30 PM
by John.Wilkinson Moderator

Unlike Windows 2000/XP, Vista does not use the boot.ini file for
determining boot order or enabling boot options. Instead, it uses
a new Windows Boot Manager and the “BCD store.” Vista does
not provide an easy way to manipulate this, but you can use the
free third-party boot managers VistaBootPRO or EasyBCD.
With those applications you can safely edit the boot process for
any Vista installations, and also designate a ‘previous version of
Windows’ to be the primary OS.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_10...geID=24338 43

Old December 16th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:45:13 -0500, ASAAR wrote in
:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 21:48:19 -0500, Ed Mullikin wrote:

It has been so long ago that I do not remember all of the details and
apparently the Nuance software no longer works with my scanner or
possibly the Vista Home OS. I don't want to buy a new scanner for
this one shot favor so I guess that I am stuck.

If the problem is due to incompatibility with Vista, you could use
a multi or dual boot manager to add your previous version of Windows
and remove it after scanning the slides or leave it installed for
future use. There are free versions and I found two here very
quickly using google. There are probably more free versions to be
found as well as several commercial products. ...

Or free virtualization.
--
Best regards,
John
Old December 16th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

"Ed Mullikin" wrote
This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer One
Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to digital
photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing seems to
work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome.

I had a similar problem when I upgraded from 98SE to XP Pro. The NikonScan
software simply wouldn't work in XP so my old LS1000 slide scanner was
effectively useless. Solved by using Vuescan by Hamrick, which seems to work
with just about any scanner ever made. Does a better job than the original
software as well.

Paul

Old December 16th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Paul Bartram wrote:
"Ed Mullikin" wrote
This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer One
Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to digital
photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing seems to
work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome.

I had a similar problem when I upgraded from 98SE to XP Pro. The NikonScan
software simply wouldn't work in XP so my old LS1000 slide scanner was
effectively useless. Solved by using Vuescan by Hamrick, which seems to work
with just about any scanner ever made. Does a better job than the original
software as well.

Paul

I would second that - and you can trial Vuescan for nothing - just visit
www.hamrick.com. The Visioneer 8900 series is listed, but there are
some provisos with older scanners so that's not a 100% gurantee. So try it.

As a bonus, you will almost certainly get more control over the scanner,
but at the cost of learning new software.
Old December 16th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer

Ed Mullikin wrote:
This is probably the wrong group but.... YEARS ago I used a Visioneer
One Touch Model 8920 (which I still have) to convert my slides to
digital photos. Now. a friend wants their slides converted. Nothing
seems to work now. I've changed my OS to XPHome. Apparently Visioneer
is now part of Nuance and I get upset every time I try to communicate
with them. Can anyone suggest a solution?

There are a number of flatbed scanners that have transparency adapters
that do slides fine. My Microtek does a fine job on slides. Canon makes
some good ones.

For a step up in price, a dedicated film scanner will do an even better job.