Oh deer...

Old March 27th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Spanjaard

Default Oh deer...

I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected
this. :-)

http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old March 28th 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Robert Spanjaard" wrote in message
bel.net...
I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected
this. :-)

http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

I was poking around your site. I really like one shot of trees with snow
that looks like it was taken with a semi fisheye. Thanks for sharing.

--
Peter

Old March 28th 10, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 00:43:48 +0100, Robert Spanjaard
wrote:

I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected
this. :-)

http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg

Where is this if you don't mind? I've seen this kind of thing in
upstate New York where I live, but not often that many at once.
Old March 28th 10, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

wrote:

I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected
this. :-)

http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg

Where is this if you don't mind? I've seen this kind of thing in
upstate New York where I live, but not often that many at once.

Reminds me of my back yard at times. I live in Austin TX in an area
labeled "Central City" by the real estate people, and it's not uncommon
to see as many as eight whitetails at once in our yard. Many of them
were born in our yard and the does keep returned to what we call the
"deer neonatal center" to bear their fawns. A nuisance, but beautiful
creatures. All the nurseries and garden shops have lists of what they
won't eat. Most herbs, such as rosemary and basil, are on the lists, but
surprisingly they don't eat irises.
Allen
Old March 28th 10, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwight[_4_]

wrote:

I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected
this. :-)

http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg

Where is this if you don't mind? I've seen this kind of thing in
upstate New York where I live, but not often that many at once.

Reminds me of my back yard at times. I live in Austin TX in an area
labeled "Central City" by the real estate people, and it's not uncommon to
see as many as eight whitetails at once in our yard. Many of them were
born in our yard and the does keep returned to what we call the "deer
neonatal center" to bear their fawns. A nuisance, but beautiful creatures.
All the nurseries and garden shops have lists of what they won't eat. Most
herbs, such as rosemary and basil, are on the lists, but surprisingly they
don't eat irises.
Allen

Philadelphia suburbs here, and the deer are nightly chomping on my
deer-resistant plantings, emptying my bird feeder ( ! ), and leaving hoof
prints and more, which drives my dog crazy in the mornings.

Never around when the sun comes up, never posing for pictures. They only
come around in the wee hours of the morning. Absolutely no quid pro quo.

dwight

Old March 28th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether[_3_]

wrote:

I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected this. :-)

http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg

Where is this if you don't mind? I've seen this kind of thing in
upstate New York where I live, but not often that many at once.

Reminds me of my back yard at times. I live in Austin TX in an area labeled "Central City" by the real estate people, and it's not
uncommon to see as many as eight whitetails at once in our yard. Many of them were born in our yard and the does keep returned to
what we call the "deer neonatal center" to bear their fawns. A nuisance, but beautiful creatures. All the nurseries and garden
shops have lists of what they won't eat. Most herbs, such as rosemary and basil, are on the lists, but surprisingly they don't eat
irises.
Allen

They are beautiful, but destructive (and we unfortunately rarely see them
even with all the evidence of their presence) - and the worst is when we
too-often hear "SCRE-E-E-E-E-E-CH!!" - "THUNK!" Followed soon
by flashing lights and "BANG!, BANG!, BANG!" from the police ineptly
trying to put the injured deer out of its (their) misery. S - I - G - H ! ! !
(I used to be against hunting, but....) BTW, of all the many things we
planted, only an Austrian Pine (which we later cut down, not having done
our research before buying it), two of three low evergreen scrubs, and the
daffodils survived.
--DR

Old March 28th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
M-M

In article ,
"David Ruether" wrote:

They are beautiful, but destructive (and we unfortunately rarely see them
even with all the evidence of their presence) - and the worst is when we
too-often hear "SCRE-E-E-E-E-E-CH!!" - "THUNK!" Followed soon
by flashing lights and "BANG!, BANG!, BANG!" from the police ineptly
trying to put the injured deer out of its (their) misery. S - I - G - H ! ! !
(I used to be against hunting, but....) BTW, of all the many things we
planted, only an Austrian Pine (which we later cut down, not having done
our research before buying it), two of three low evergreen scrubs, and the
daffodils survived.

In Valley Forge National Historic Park outside Philadelphia, there are
no trees less than 20 years old anymore, the deer are that destructive.

There was supposed to be a deer kill in the park last year but the PETA
crowd sued- and lost- but the kill was nevertheless postponed.

Here is a deer family taken in that park:

http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/DSC_18053w.jpg

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com
Old March 28th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"M-M" wrote in message

In Valley Forge National Historic Park outside Philadelphia, there are
no trees less than 20 years old anymore, the deer are that destructive.

There was supposed to be a deer kill in the park last year but the PETA
crowd sued- and lost- but the kill was nevertheless postponed.

PETA
People Eating Tasty Animals?

--
Peter

Old March 29th 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

wrote:

I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected
this. :-)

http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg

Where is this if you don't mind? I've seen this kind of thing in
upstate New York where I live, but not often that many at once.

Reminds me of my back yard at times. I live in Austin TX in an area
labeled "Central City" by the real estate people, and it's not uncommon
to see as many as eight whitetails at once in our yard. Many of them
were born in our yard and the does keep returned to what we call the
"deer neonatal center" to bear their fawns. A nuisance, but beautiful
creatures. All the nurseries and garden shops have lists of what they
won't eat. Most herbs, such as rosemary and basil, are on the lists, but
surprisingly they don't eat irises.
Allen

Another thing about my neighborhood deer--a woman walks her two dogs
(both Great Pyrenees and huge)daily. One morning she walked by when I
was outside and I asked her if the deer were afraid of her dogs; she
said that they pay no attention to them. I watched as she went on and
came to a doe foraging a couple of feet back from the curb. The doe
turned her head, nodded as if to say "good morning" and went back to
eating. Totally civilized, unless someone approaches a fawn.
Allen
Old March 31st 10, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

wrote:

I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected
this. :-)

http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg

Where is this if you don't mind? I've seen this kind of thing in
upstate New York where I live, but not often that many at once.

Reminds me of my back yard at times. I live in Austin TX in an area
labeled "Central City" by the real estate people, and it's not uncommon
to see as many as eight whitetails at once in our yard. Many of them
were born in our yard and the does keep returned to what we call the
"deer neonatal center" to bear their fawns. A nuisance, but beautiful
creatures. All the nurseries and garden shops have lists of what they
won't eat. Most herbs, such as rosemary and basil, are on the lists, but
surprisingly they don't eat irises.

Iris are poisonous AFAIK. They will eat various poisonous plants though,
when hungry.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net