Scanning MF

Old December 19th 05, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Scanning MF

Hi folks,
I need to scan a 6x6 slide to print to a 16x20 size. I know, i need to
crop it. Hence i would use the scan and they try to manipulate it at home
and then print it.
My question is, what is the cheapest service to scan it? I live in
NYC. I regularly use Baboo color lab for developing and printing. But, i
think scanning is like $15 and up for a single slide.

Can folks anyone tell me about scanning services in NYC that you have used?
cost? quality? turn around time?

Thanks.

javaman.
Old December 19th 05, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article ,
Javaman wrote:

Hi folks,
I need to scan a 6x6 slide to print to a 16x20 size. I know, i need to
crop it. Hence i would use the scan and they try to manipulate it at home
and then print it.
My question is, what is the cheapest service to scan it? I live in
NYC. I regularly use Baboo color lab for developing and printing. But, i
think scanning is like $15 and up for a single slide.

Can folks anyone tell me about scanning services in NYC that you have used?
cost? quality? turn around time?

Thanks.

javaman.

If you want a good job I would reconsider cheap. If its only 15 thats
dirt cheap already. A good scan like that here in Baltimore might run
45-65 at a good Pro lab.
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old December 19th 05, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

If it is personal work, do you pay that much for scanning + printing cost?

is there an alternative?

Gregory Blank wrote in
:

Old December 19th 05, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article ,
Javaman wrote:

If it is personal work, do you pay that much for scanning + printing cost?

is there an alternative?

Gregory Blank wrote in
:

If you want a good job I would reconsider cheap. If its only 15 thats
dirt cheap already. A good scan like that here in Baltimore might run
45-65 at a good Pro lab.

It would depend on the image and size of the desired print. Since I have
a desktop scanner unless it is really important (Like for a top notch
client) the answer is no-I would not. Mainly because I do know how to
scan and color correct images and despite my relatively inexpensive and
now old 2450 can get half way decent results for printing at 200-300
resolution. But if an image came along that I could not accurately scan
and and really wanted a print the answer would be, yes-I would pay to
get better results.

BTW I have a very nice print, 20x 24 scanned from 4x5 that I would
challenge anyone to tell it was scanned on the 2450.

What I was saying is that 15 is most reasonable and if the quality is
good would hesitate to try and get much cheaper unless I had a huge
amount of scans I wanted batch scanned for record purposes.
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old December 19th 05, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

www.coloredgeart.com, they are on lexington and 21st and did a great
job on my b&w scans.

I see on my last scan batch receipt, 3 b&w 6x4.5 negs cost $26. I
forget the resolution I requested the scans to be, but the cd came out
to be 30 or 40MB. I had a rush job and they fit me in because I only
needed 3 frames scanned, but they take a few days normally.

I'm guessing the color slide scans will be a bit more expensive,and the
turn around time might be slightly longer if they're cramming before
Christmas.

Anyway, $15 doesn't seem awfully huge especially if you're used to nyc
prices for everything else! $15 doesn't even buy you 3 measly drinks
in this city if you plan on tipping!

Old December 19th 05, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article .com,
"Dave the Guy" wrote:

Anyway, $15 doesn't seem awfully huge especially if you're used to nyc
prices for everything else! $15 doesn't even buy you 3 measly drinks
in this city if you plan on tipping!

I remember a trip to NYC when I was a novice traveler there where
by I spent a 20 spot on OJ and a bagel with cream cheese :-(
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old December 19th 05, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

They must've jobbed you because you looked like an out-of-towner! ;-)

But seriously a small carton of Tropicana and an everything bagel with
cream cheese and slice of tomato will cost you just around $4.00. I
know this because I just had it this morning!

Note to Greg: Remember to take change!

Old December 19th 05, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article . com,
"Dave the Guy" wrote:

They must've jobbed you because you looked like an out-of-towner! ;-)

But seriously a small carton of Tropicana and an everything bagel with
cream cheese and slice of tomato will cost you just around $4.00. I
know this because I just had it this morning!

Note to Greg: Remember to take change!

It all depends where you go in NYC, there are some great places and
deals if you learn where to go- btw its my favorite Big City :-)
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old December 19th 05, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

I love me my city too regardless of prices. Like you said, just have
to live a little smarter.

By the way I really like morganrun2. Beautiful shot.

Old December 19th 05, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article .com,
"Dave the Guy" wrote:

I love me my city too regardless of prices. Like you said, just have
to live a little smarter.

By the way I really like morganrun2. Beautiful shot.

Thanks Dave.
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com