W*M Photo Online

Old December 27th 04, 07:37 AM
Jim Redelfs

Default W*M Photo Online

Today I had my first experience with Wal-Mart's Photo Center online.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?path=0%3A5426&dept=5426&cat=5426

Except for a a 73-cent glitch on a ~$60US order, it went perfectly.

The procedure is similar to others. I have also had experience with Kodak's
on-line service.

Wal-Mart's Photo Center online offers a free application program to enable the
user to SELECT multiple image files for upload. Of course, they only provide
a Windoze version, so I had to individually select my files. They all went in
one SEND, of course. (Broadband REALLY helps here. Were I still using
dial-up internet service, considering I sent 46 jpegs, I would've set the
upload then gone to bed!)

Due to the size of my order - 5 each of 46 jpegs and ONE 5x7) - or the
day-after-Christmas crunch, the "about one hour" became an official TWO hours
before I could pick them up at the store three miles away.

I didn't check exactly, but I may have been a bit earlier than two, full
hours, but the print order was ready and waiting in their file drawer when I
got to the store.

The order was was done right.

It was done on time.

The quality was good.

The prints are on Fuji paper with a matte finish. I prefer glossy but do not
recall a choice. I suspect I don't have a choice. I don't care anymore.

Probably because they are closer to my home than any other store that provides
upload service, I expect Wal-Mart will be getting my "everyday" print business.

I paid $.24US/4x6. It is $.19/4x6 for their two-day service.

The 1,000-lb "gorilla" of the retail industry does it again. sigh

JR