Rockwell - "but what about Godwin's"

Old September 17th 09, 06:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_3_]

Default Rockwell - "but what about Godwin's"

"nospam" wrote in message

regarding the m/a - m switch, he writes:

Nikon goofed. This switch is supposed to be labeled "A - M."
The "M/A" position means autofocus. It's called "M/A" because back in
the old days, when Nikon had almost caught up to Canon who had been
doing this for ten years before, Nikon was trying to show off that
you could focus manually while in the AF position.
Paint over the extra M if you're easily confused.

that's another crock. it's an af-s lens with a silent wave motor (swm)
so it has full time manual override, thus it has an m/a - m switch.
some af-s lenses have a micromotor (e.g., 55-200mm) and do not have
full time manual override so they have an m - a switch.

this lens *says* swm, visible in his photos of the lens, so there can
be no doubt about the full time manual override. that's why it has an
m/a-m switch. nikon did not goof, rockwell did.

Right, I remember at least one of his lens reviews in which he clearly did
not understand the difference between M/A-M and A-M. What you've quoted
looks familiar and I think that's the review.

Old September 17th 09, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:37:41 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 9/16/09 19:01 , J. Clarke wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 9/16/09 16:33 , J. Clarke wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 9/16/09 15:27 , Me wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 9/16/09 11:36 , DG wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

On 9/16/09 11:06 , DG wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

I dropped a fresh 1.5TB into my Mac and it found and
formatted the drive in a few minutes.

The primary difference between Windows and Mac, in this
process, is, the tools for adding, switching, modifying a
drive are all built-in to the O/S on a Mac. Under most
Windows systems they require third party, and often
proprietary, software.

No.

Right click my computer Manage Storage... etc.

No third party software required.

I did say 'most.'

Maybe I'm ignorant but which MSFT OS requires third party
software to format a hard drive?

Ah..I see the confusion. I wasn't referring to simple
formatting, as much as I was about cloning a drive for
replacement or transferring contents to a new drive.

You can format a drive from the early DOS days without
additional software.

But if you want to transfer contents to a new drive, add, delete
or modify a partition, you need a third party application under
Windows, whereas the Mac O/S has the utiltities for this built
in.

Windows|Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Computer
Management|Disk Management
Those utilities are built in to Windows since XP (IIRC), with a
reasonably straight-forward GUI. I suppose there aren't options
to format (or work on) other than MS filesystems FAT/FAT32/NTFS,
but you can add/delete/shrink/extend and format partitions. I
think the tools are still there even with "basic" versions of
the OS.

Let me know when you've increased/or shrank a partition on
the boot drive.

It's 9 clicks from the desktop.

Actually, it's not.

From the Help Menu: "You can't extend the boot partition."

From the desktop, nine clicks, wait a moment, and the boot
partition is smaller. Whatever help you are looking at is in error.

Other partitions, yes. The boot partition, no. To extend, or
modify the boot partition, requires a third party app.

Under OS X, you can increase, decrease, the boot partition with
the utility built into the O/S.

From what help menu?

Windows won't do it without a third party app.

Maybe true for some antiquated version but certainly isn't for
Vista.

The discussion wasn't about Vista. But thank you for your input.

Vista is the current version of Windows. It does what you claim that
Windows can't do. If you mean that some obsolete version can't do
it then you need to say so.

The discussion wasn't about Vista. It was about XP. Re-read the
thread for clarification.

And for the third time, I said "MOST" versions of Windows.

Clear now?

Yeah, clear that yet another ignorant advocate of this or that gets caught
with his pants down lying and instead of admitting he was wrong he blusters
away about how the discussion was of an obsolete version of Windows.

If you are going to talk specfically about XP you need to call it that.

No, it wasn't about Vista but XP: obscurely so.

Eric Stevens
Old September 17th 09, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 9/16/09 21:37 , J. Clarke wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 9/16/09 19:01 , J. Clarke wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 9/16/09 16:33 , J. Clarke wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 9/16/09 15:27 , Me wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 9/16/09 11:36 , DG wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

On 9/16/09 11:06 , DG wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

[...]

From the Help Menu: "You can't extend the boot partition."

From the desktop, nine clicks, wait a moment, and the boot
partition is smaller. Whatever help you are looking at is in
error.

Other partitions, yes. The boot partition, no. To extend, or
modify the boot partition, requires a third party app.

Under OS X, you can increase, decrease, the boot partition
with the utility built into the O/S.

From what help menu?

[...]

If you were paying attention, you would have clear at the outset.
This is what happens when you insert yourself into a conversation with
the limited resources of someone who only understands his own point of
view.

It takes three keystrokes to type XP. It takes 8 to type "Windows". So if
you mean "XP" why are you typing "Windows"?

So, what finishing school did you say you went to?

Finishing of what, photos, furniture, arguments with Macloons, or something
else?

Old September 17th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
R. Mark Clayton

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
news
Eric Stevens wrote:

SNIP
Nikon instead specialized in making instruments for mass destruction:
long-range rangefinders for
artillery, military binoculars, especially large ones used on ships,
and aircraft bombsights. Nikon's
instruments were instrumental in Japan's terrorist attacks against
America at Pearl Harbor
Which ones - they didn't use artillery, didn't sail closer than 200
miles and you hardly need a precision
sight to dive bomb something as large as a battleship in broad
daylight!
Bombing ships, regardless of size, was never easy, bomb sight or not.
In fact, the US Navy maintained that it could not be
done in the shallow waters of Pearl Harbor. They left
the ships in the harbor unprotected from aerial
torpedoes, and as a result the Japanese attack was
extremely successful.

The Royal Navy knew better and graphically demonstrated what could be
done by an attack on the Italian fleet at Taranto. The Japanese
learned from this. The US Navy obviously did not.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Swordfish

I say again: "Bombing ships, regardless of size, was never easy, bomb
sight or not."

In bad weather, heavy seas and poor visibility, a ship under way, turning to
avoid attack would be very difficult target. Even harder if it is shooting
back or laying smoke.

A stationary battleship, tied up in a harbour in the clear calm early
morning would be a sitting duck, with the metaphor about as close as one
could get to literally true.

All the bomber pilot has to do is fly a straight line along the length of
the vessel. At 200mph he would spend more than two seconds over it. I
doubt many practice runs would be required to learn when to release the
bombs to be sure of hitting the target. If you have a pod of bombs that
fall out sequentially you can fly at a slight angle so that if you are off
path one should hit anyway (which is what British Vulcan bomber pilots did
when bombing the airfield at Port Stanley).

Similarly the torpedo pilot simply flies in from the side towards the centre
of the ship and drops a point a shoot torpedo at close range.

In any event the Japanese used over 350 planes - the chances that they would
all miss is rather small.