"VR" Nikon lenses

Old September 22nd 09, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default "VR" Nikon lenses

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

The main point though was that the OP asked for 400mm or more,
so I didn't go into 300mm examples, of which there are many that
would need to be included if the specification were 300mm and
longer.

So why not a good 300mm f/4 or faster non-zoom (or a terrific
xx-300mm zoom --- don't ask me if such a thing really exists)
and a good 1.4x teleconverter? That's also 400mm and might
be worth the price. (A 2x has a strong impact on the image
quality, but a 1.4x usually works out OK.)

I assume the OP wants a 400mm f/4 or faster non-zoom and a good
1.4x teleconverter. That *is* what he said he wants.

And I believe he'd be advised that IS or VR is "a good thing" for that
type of shooting.

--
john mcwilliams
Old September 23rd 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

The main point though was that the OP asked for 400mm or more,
so I didn't go into 300mm examples, of which there are many that
would need to be included if the specification were 300mm and
longer.
So why not a good 300mm f/4 or faster non-zoom (or a terrific
xx-300mm zoom --- don't ask me if such a thing really exists)
and a good 1.4x teleconverter? That's also 400mm and might
be worth the price. (A 2x has a strong impact on the image
quality, but a 1.4x usually works out OK.)

I assume the OP wants a 400mm f/4 or faster non-zoom
and a good
1.4x teleconverter. That *is* what he said he wants.

And I believe he'd be advised that IS or VR is "a good thing" for that
type of shooting.

Yes and no. It depends on the exact circumstances. Certainly a
400mm lens can be handheld, and in that case VR is just extremely
usefull.

I don't see it as of much value with an 800mm lens though, in
particular if it has a teleconverter on it too. That simply
requires a steady support system, such as a tripod w/gimbal
mount.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old September 23rd 09, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jerry blaine

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

The main point though was that the OP asked for 400mm or more,
so I didn't go into 300mm examples, of which there are many that
would need to be included if the specification were 300mm and
longer.
So why not a good 300mm f/4 or faster non-zoom (or a terrific
xx-300mm zoom --- don't ask me if such a thing really exists)
and a good 1.4x teleconverter? That's also 400mm and might
be worth the price. (A 2x has a strong impact on the image
quality, but a 1.4x usually works out OK.)

I assume the OP wants a 400mm f/4 or faster non-zoom and a good
1.4x teleconverter. That *is* what he said he wants.

And I believe he'd be advised that IS or VR is "a good thing" for that
type of shooting.

Can the VR mechanism in the lens be adjusted for the addition of a 1.4x
teleconverter? If not, adding any teleconverter will change the angular
corrections needed, making the VR much more less effective by
under-correcting.

This is why there are always these menu options on super-zoom P&S cameras.
To let the camera know when more or less (in the case of wide-angle
adapters) motion correction is needed to properly correct for camera shake.
Without this teleconverter multiplier feedback to the optical VR mechanism
calculations it becomes fairly pointless to add any optics in the light
path and expect for similar shake-correction performance.

Old September 23rd 09, 10:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

jerry blaine wrote:

Can the VR mechanism in the lens be adjusted for the addition of a 1.4x
teleconverter?

It doesn't need to, it's lens based and --- from the viewpoint
of the lens --- nothing changes. The teleconverter is not in
front of the lens, but behind it (and the VR, so really nothing
changes for the VR), so if the lens delivers a steady image, the
TC will enlarge a steady image resulting in a steady, enlarged
image on the sensor.

This is why there are always these menu options on super-zoom P&S cameras.
To let the camera know when more or less (in the case of wide-angle
adapters) motion correction is needed to properly correct for camera shake.

These converters are in front of the lens (strike one), so the
VR must counteract more than usual.

And then many of these cameras shift the sensor (strike two),
so even a TC behind the lens would force the sensor to counteract
more than usual.

-Wolfgang