Focal length for APS sensors

Old March 14th 07, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lars Forslin

Default Focal length for APS sensors

What about the focal length data for the nower compact lenses for digital
cameras with APS-C sensors? Can I skip the 1.5 x multiplying for those?

--
Lars Forslin

"Doing time on earth"

**************************

Old March 14th 07, 08:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

Lars Forslin wrote:
What about the focal length data for the nower compact lenses for digital
cameras with APS-C sensors? Can I skip the 1.5 x multiplying for those?

No.
AFAIK only Olympus with 4/3 system lenses state "35mm equivalent" as a
headline focal length when selling their lenses.
Old March 14th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Lars Forslin wrote:
What about the focal length data for the nower compact lenses for digital
cameras with APS-C sensors? Can I skip the 1.5 x multiplying for those?

The "crop factor", "focal length multiplier", or whatever term you
prefer, applies always to the *real* focal length of the lens. All the
Nikon and Canon (and third-party lenses for those brands) that I've seen
state the *real* lens focal length, even on Nikon's DX and Canon's EF-S
lenses that only cover the smaller sensor, so the conversion factor is
needed to get the "35mm-equivalent" focal length (which is only
meaningful for getting the angle of view; for every other purpose you
need the *real* focal length).

Old March 15th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lars Forslin

Thanks, I came to understand that after a while. Maybe Olympus does it
differently.
/Lars

"David Dyer-Bennet" skrev i meddelandet
t...