Need info on Mamiya 645's

Old October 24th 04, 11:57 PM
Steve Barker

Default Need info on Mamiya 645's

Lookin' to buy. Probably new. Need ideas on what options (if any) to
consider. Who to buy from. Also, need Lens suggetions for beginner Medium
format user.

THANKS

steve and sydney barker

Old October 25th 04, 01:40 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Steve Barker" wrote:

Lookin' to buy. Probably new. Need ideas on what options (if any) to
consider. Who to buy from. Also, need Lens suggetions for beginner Medium
format user.

If you are in the US, new is expensive, so I'd recommend used from KEH*. If
you feel like braving ebay, that's another option. (I bought most of my 645
kit new, but that was in Japan where prices are merely steep, not
outrageous.) Note that the 645 Pro is mechanically the same as the current
model (645 ProTL), so you can purchase a used 645 Pro with no worry about
parts for the near future at least.

*: http://www.keh.com/hmpg/index.cfm

In terms of lenses, the discontinued (but widely available used) 110/2.8 is
a lovely lens. But the lens that is on my camera most of the time is the
35/3.5. It's a 22mm equiv, and I find FOV addictive.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/22566107/large

Since you presumably have an interest in rail photos, you may want some
longer lenses. The 150/3.5 is cheap, light, and sharp. Warning to MF
newcomer: anything longer than 110mm really needs a sturdy tripod. KEH has
the 500mm f/8 for US$349.

I own neither the 80/2.8 nor the 80/1.9, but I've heard that the 80/2.8 is
quite sharp. The 80/1.9 is a bit of a clunker.

Note that the 55/2.8, 80/2.8, 110/2.8, 150/3.5, and 210/4 all take 58mm
filters.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 25th 04, 06:15 AM
Stacey

Steve Barker wrote:

Lookin' to buy. Probably new. Need ideas on what options (if any) to
consider. Who to buy from. Also, need Lens suggetions for beginner Medium
format user.

I agree with David, get one from KEH. I got a M645 a while ago from them,
it works perfect and was -really- cheap. I use the 35mm f 3.5 and have the
55-110 zoom. I also use the P-6 lenses via an adapter, the 180mm F2.8 sonar
is one of the best lenses I've ever used PERIOD.

--

Stacey

Old October 25th 04, 12:14 PM
Glenn

Stacey wrote in :

Steve Barker wrote:

Lookin' to buy. Probably new. Need ideas on what options (if any)
to consider. Who to buy from. Also, need Lens suggetions for
beginner Medium format user.

I agree with David, get one from KEH. I got a M645 a while ago from
them,
it works perfect and was -really- cheap. I use the 35mm f 3.5 and have
the 55-110 zoom. I also use the P-6 lenses via an adapter, the 180mm
F2.8 sonar is one of the best lenses I've ever used PERIOD.

I agree with David and Stacy's previous comments about the benefits of
looking for 2nd hand M645 kit. I have an original M645, a 645E, the 80
2.8 David mentions, and the 150 & 210 lenses. All were bought quite
cheaply 2nd hand and all perform flawlessly. For someone used to 35mm
Nikon kit, the improvement in image quality was a revelation.... The
newer PRO and later bodies would be nice, but I imagine a little more
expensive.

One thing to consider: I live in Sydney and was planning a work trip to
the US recently, and as I was after a 35 or 45 lens, I checked B&H on the
web as those lenses are very hard to source here in Oz. B&H had 3 45's
all rated at 8 or higher and apprantly mechanically perfect. To cut a
long story short, I went to B&H in NYC and inspected each of the 3 lenses
to see which one I would buy. All 3 had diaphragm faults, slow to move,
oil on blades etc. so I sadly left empty handed. I wonder if I had bought
"mechanically perfect" lenses sight unseen and found them faulty on
receipt, if the vendor would have been willing to refund or exchange.
Nothing beats a hands on look if you can reasonably manage it..

Glenn
P.S. Don't let this put you off at all, I LOVE my 645 kit...... I hope
you will too!