Hoya polariser question

Old June 29th 05, 08:35 PM
jslevin

Default Hoya polariser question

Having decided on the Canon EOS 20 D and the EF-S 10-22mm wideangle zoom,
I'm adding a 77mm circular polariser .
Looking at Hoya filters, they offer a 77mm G series Circular polariser at
£48.00, a 77mm polariser (with both sides coated) for £70.00 and the 77mm
Super Pro 1 ultra-thin one for £157.00

Is it worth the extra price for the dearer polarisers or is the difference
in results miniscule?
I'm aware the ultra-thin filter will prevent vignetting at max setting on
the lens but will I notice a superior result from the costlier filter?
Thanks for any advice.

John Slevin.

Old June 30th 05, 04:26 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article 1120073742.161a76037dd0262cc449b9f9884c5f38@teran ews,
"jslevin" wrote:

Having decided on the Canon EOS 20 D and the EF-S 10-22mm wideangle zoom,
I'm adding a 77mm circular polariser .
Looking at Hoya filters, they offer a 77mm G series Circular polariser at
£48.00, a 77mm polariser (with both sides coated) for £70.00 and the 77mm
Super Pro 1 ultra-thin one for £157.00

Is it worth the extra price for the dearer polarisers or is the difference
in results miniscule?
I'm aware the ultra-thin filter will prevent vignetting at max setting on
the lens but will I notice a superior result from the costlier filter?
Thanks for any advice.

John Slevin.

I'm not a Hoya fan. I've gotten two that were fogged and they all wick
heavy grease onto the glass in damp weather. So far I've ruined about
four Lens Pens on the Hoya grease. A long hard blast of hot water
removes enough of the grease to keep it from wicking onto the glass for
a while.

I tried a normal 77mm Hoya polarizer and it did crop a good chunk of the
corners off (and it was badly fogged). I'm using a wide-angle Promaster
now. There's no vignetting but it can't be capped.
Old June 30th 05, 05:33 AM
Slack

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

I tried a normal 77mm Hoya polarizer and it did crop a good chunk of the
corners off (and it was badly fogged). I'm using a wide-angle Promaster
now. There's no vignetting but it can't be capped.

I, too, am using a Promaster, but according to my local camera shop (and
the shipping cartoon it came in), Promaster is made by Hoya.

?
--
Slack
Old June 30th 05, 07:11 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

Slack wrote:

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

I tried a normal 77mm Hoya polarizer and it did crop a good chunk of the
corners off (and it was badly fogged). I'm using a wide-angle Promaster
now. There's no vignetting but it can't be capped.

I, too, am using a Promaster, but according to my local camera shop (and
the shipping cartoon it came in), Promaster is made by Hoya.

?
--
Slack

Interesting. The Promaster lineup isn't greased like the Hoyas. The
polarizer material is different too. Compare what happens when you put
together the circular (camera) ends of Hoyas and Promasters. Putting
together the same build does nothing. Putting together mismatched
builds blocks the light.

Maybe it's two factories owned by the same company.