advice for 20D lenses wanted

Old June 23rd 05, 06:38 AM
-keevill-

Default advice for 20D lenses wanted

I am an amateur phototaker and would like to buy the Canon20D. I need to
take wide angle shots of interiors and exteriors for house sales and
landscape shots. I like to take low light no flash shots in the early
evening showing off garden lighting etc. What is the advice for lens I
should buy. I was thinking EFS 10-22 and perhaps 70-200 F4 IS .

Old June 23rd 05, 05:20 PM
Ben Rosengart

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:38:47 +0700, -keevill- wrote:
I was thinking EFS 10-22 and perhaps 70-200 F4 IS .

I don't believe Canon makes a 70-200 f/4 with IS. In increasing
price order, they offer an f/4, an f/2.8, and an f/2.8 with IS.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Old June 23rd 05, 06:05 PM
-hh

Ben Rosengart wrote:
-keevill- wrote:
I was thinking EFS 10-22 and perhaps 70-200 F4 IS .

I don't believe Canon makes a 70-200 f/4 with IS. In increasing
price order, they offer an f/4, an f/2.8, and an f/2.8 with IS.

The below URL should be Canon's product page for zoom telephoto EF
lenses:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...categoryid=150

According to this, you are correct: there's no 70-200 f/4 IS listed.

Picking through this list and using B&H for ballpark prices, the
"fairly close" matches would probably be as follows:

L glass:

70-200 f/2.8 IS (approx. $1700)
70-200 f/2.8 (~$1200)
70-200 f/4 (~$600)

Non-L glass:

70-300 f/4-5.6 DO IS (~$1200)
75-300 f/4-5.6 IS (~$400)

-hh

Old June 23rd 05, 10:41 PM
Skip M

"-keevill-" wrote in message
I am an amateur phototaker and would like to buy the Canon20D. I need to
take wide angle shots of interiors and exteriors for house sales and
landscape shots. I like to take low light no flash shots in the early
evening showing off garden lighting etc. What is the advice for lens I
should buy. I was thinking EFS 10-22 and perhaps 70-200 F4 IS .

What lens(es) do you own now? The 10-22 may not be fast enough to shoot low
light with no flash, at least without a tripod. And the 70-200 f4 is
probably too long for these uses. It is a very good lens, though.
One reason I ask what lenses you have now if that there is a considerable
gap between the 10-22mm and the 70-200mm. 17-85 IS, maybe? 24-70 f2.8L?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old June 23rd 05, 10:42 PM
Mr. Mark

L glass:
70-200 f/2.8 IS (approx. $1700)
70-200 f/2.8 (~$1200)
70-200 f/4 (~$600)

Non-L glass:
70-300 f/4-5.6 DO IS (~$1200)
75-300 f/4-5.6 IS (~$400)

What's L glass?

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Old June 23rd 05, 11:16 PM
Nicholas Wittebol

Professional quality glass...the L stands for Lovely, as in you'll get
lovely pictures out of it! ;P

Mr. Mark wrote:
L glass:
70-200 f/2.8 IS (approx. $1700)
70-200 f/2.8 (~$1200)
70-200 f/4 (~$600)

Non-L glass:
70-300 f/4-5.6 DO IS (~$1200)
75-300 f/4-5.6 IS (~$400)

What's L glass?

Old June 23rd 05, 11:59 PM
Alan Browne

Nicholas Wittebol wrote:

Professional quality glass...the L stands for Lovely, as in you'll get
lovely pictures out of it! ;P

Would you please snip replies and not top-post?

Thanks,
Alan.

--
A beaver and a rabbit are sitting in the woods near Hoover Dam.
"Did you build that one?" the rabbit asked.

Old June 24th 05, 12:37 AM
Alan Browne

Triple A wrote:

Would you please top post and not snip replies.

*PLONK*