Fair value for Beseler 4x5 enlarger

Old June 3rd 04, 12:48 AM
C.A. Decker

Default Fair value for Beseler 4x5 enlarger

Hello:

What would a fair value be for a Beseler 4x5 enlarger (model 45M?)? It's
an older model (black crinkle paint). Complete, in pretty good shape. No
damage. Excellent bellows - no holes or tears. Wooden base is in good
condition with just a few light chemical stains. Enlarger has the motor
drive. With neg carriers for 35mm, 6x6, 6x9, and glass 4x5. Built in red
filter. Aristo cold light head. Older Schneider 105mm and 135mm Componon
lenses (not S models). Lenses probably about same age as enlarger.

Just need a ballpark idea. Thanks in advance.

Old June 3rd 04, 01:32 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
"C.A. Decker" wrote:

Hello:

What would a fair value be for a Beseler 4x5 enlarger (model 45M?)? It's
an older model (black crinkle paint). Complete, in pretty good shape. No
damage. Excellent bellows - no holes or tears. Wooden base is in good
condition with just a few light chemical stains. Enlarger has the motor
drive. With neg carriers for 35mm, 6x6, 6x9, and glass 4x5. Built in red
filter. Aristo cold light head. Older Schneider 105mm and 135mm Componon
lenses (not S models). Lenses probably about same age as enlarger.

Just need a ballpark idea. Thanks in advance.

Between two thirds & one half the original selling price if in good
to excellent condition.
--
Baltimore & DC Large Format User Website

http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

For best results expand this window at least 6" at 1152 x 768 resolution
Old June 3rd 04, 01:39 AM
Nick Zentena

Gregory W Blank wrote:
In article ,
"C.A. Decker" wrote:

Hello:

What would a fair value be for a Beseler 4x5 enlarger (model 45M?)? It's
an older model (black crinkle paint). Complete, in pretty good shape. No
damage. Excellent bellows - no holes or tears. Wooden base is in good
condition with just a few light chemical stains. Enlarger has the motor
drive. With neg carriers for 35mm, 6x6, 6x9, and glass 4x5. Built in red
filter. Aristo cold light head. Older Schneider 105mm and 135mm Componon
lenses (not S models). Lenses probably about same age as enlarger.

Just need a ballpark idea. Thanks in advance.

Between two thirds & one half the original selling price if in good
to excellent condition.

How high would that have been? I'm going out on a limb to say that in
today's digital world it's worth less then that.

Nick
Old June 3rd 04, 02:35 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
Nick Zentena wrote:

How high would that have been? I'm going out on a limb to say that in
today's digital world it's worth less then that.
Nick

Junk is junk. If the enlarger cost 2,000 ....10 years ago
and looks brand new,......well it would be fair to get
1,000 don't ya think. Just because its fair does not mean they
will get the asking price. Meerly that ista fair asking price
reflective if the original price. Now if the item is a 5 on a scale of
10 then maybe a 1/4 of the price would be fair. Digital or not someone
who appreciates a good working order item will still appreciate getting a
fair deal. Try etting that from a photo dealer and you my as well
give it to them. What it boils down to is look at the price that was paid and realistically
assess the condition, and that will give you at least a good place to start.

Old June 3rd 04, 03:36 AM
Mike

I'd say something around $200 would be fair. A Beseler MXII enlarger with
two El Nikkor lenses and negative carriers pretty much the same as those
included here recently sold on e bay for $255. I believe the MXII is a newer
enlarger than the M. A Beseler MCRX enlarger (also newer than the M I
believe) with a $200 opening price attracted no bids at all but I don't
think it had as many accessories as yours. I'm not sure there's much of a
market for an enlarger as old as the M with old, less than top-of-the line
lenses like the Componons so $200 might be on the high side of fair.

. ..

Old June 3rd 04, 04:14 AM
Stacey

C.A. Decker wrote:

Hello:

What would a fair value be for a Beseler 4x5 enlarger (model 45M?)? It's
an older model (black crinkle paint). Complete, in pretty good shape. No
damage. Excellent bellows - no holes or tears. Wooden base is in good
condition with just a few light chemical stains. Enlarger has the motor
drive. With neg carriers for 35mm, 6x6, 6x9, and glass 4x5. Built in red
filter. Aristo cold light head. Older Schneider 105mm and 135mm Componon
lenses (not S models). Lenses probably about same age as enlarger.

I'd separate it, sell the lenses, the carriers and then the enlarger. There
is more likely to be a market for the carriers to different people etc.
Maybe keep one of the carriers to sell with the enlarger, like the 6X9 one?

--

Stacey
Old June 3rd 04, 04:54 AM
Raphael Bustin

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 23:14:59 -0400, Stacey wrote:

C.A. Decker wrote:

Hello:

What would a fair value be for a Beseler 4x5 enlarger (model 45M?)? It's
an older model (black crinkle paint). Complete, in pretty good shape. No
damage. Excellent bellows - no holes or tears. Wooden base is in good
condition with just a few light chemical stains. Enlarger has the motor
drive. With neg carriers for 35mm, 6x6, 6x9, and glass 4x5. Built in red
filter. Aristo cold light head. Older Schneider 105mm and 135mm Componon
lenses (not S models). Lenses probably about same age as enlarger.

I'd separate it, sell the lenses, the carriers and then the enlarger. There
is more likely to be a market for the carriers to different people etc.
Maybe keep one of the carriers to sell with the enlarger, like the 6X9 one?

Good point. The LeafScan 45 takes Beseler
film holders. G.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old June 3rd 04, 12:14 PM
David Kilpatrick

C.A. Decker wrote:

Hello:

What would a fair value be for a Beseler 4x5 enlarger (model 45M?)? It's
an older model (black crinkle paint). Complete, in pretty good shape. No
damage. Excellent bellows - no holes or tears. Wooden base is in good
condition with just a few light chemical stains. Enlarger has the motor
drive. With neg carriers for 35mm, 6x6, 6x9, and glass 4x5. Built in red
filter. Aristo cold light head. Older Schneider 105mm and 135mm Componon
lenses (not S models). Lenses probably about same age as enlarger.

I'd separate it, sell the lenses, the carriers and then the enlarger. There
is more likely to be a market for the carriers to different people etc.
Maybe keep one of the carriers to sell with the enlarger, like the 6X9 one?

Good point. The LeafScan 45 takes Beseler
film holders. G.

If anyone is desperately in need, I've got sitting around doing very
little two Leafscans (one without lens, one with a broken power supply)
which can be turned by a competent D-I-Y repairperson into one Leafscan
45. I also have a complete one which I use, these are spares, but they
are blocking up to the storeroom. One of the 'spares' belongs to another
photographer, Steve Climpson, who sent it me on the basis that if I had
time to assemble a finished Leafscan from his and mine, and sell it, we
would split the proceeds. I don't have time, Steve probably doesn't care
now, and any offers for the mass of parts and casings (mostly assembled,
but not entirely :-) from the UK would probably be accepted. I even have
a spare NuBus GBIP board (very useful, that...)

I have a large number of carriers including a rotating rollfilm carrier,
35mm slides, various different rollfilm aperture fixed carriers and the
tensioning 5 x 4, and several duplicates among them. I definitely need
to keep the tensioning one - it cost me a fortune at the time - and the
35mm mounted slide but I may have some others which are surplus to any
forseeable need unless they go with the above spares. The Leafscan is
now used about once every three months because every photographer/writer
I deal with now submits on CD.

David
Icon Publications Ltd
Kelso, Scotland

Old June 3rd 04, 12:49 PM
Nick Zentena

Gregory W Blank wrote:
In article ,
Nick Zentena wrote:

How high would that have been? I'm going out on a limb to say that in
today's digital world it's worth less then that.
Nick

Junk is junk. If the enlarger cost 2,000 ....10 years ago
and looks brand new,......well it would be fair to get
1,000 don't ya think. Just because its fair does not mean they
will get the asking price. Meerly that ista fair asking price
reflective if the original price. Now if the item is a 5 on a scale of
10 then maybe a 1/4 of the price would be fair. Digital or not someone
who appreciates a good working order item will still appreciate getting a
fair deal. Try etting that from a photo dealer and you my as well
give it to them. What it boils down to is look at the price that was paid and realistically
assess the condition, and that will give you at least a good place to start.

My Beseler 4x5 came from a dealer. One of the best in town. It's not mint
but good enough it came with a 6 month warranty. No lenses but almost every
carrier made and a bunch of lensboards. 2 years ago it set me back
something around $250 US. When I wanted a colour head I instead bought an
almost NIB Durst 4x5 for $300. 4x5 enlargers just aren't selling for big
money today.

Nick
Old June 3rd 04, 01:56 PM
Mike

I'd separate it, sell the lenses, the carriers and then the enlarger.
There
is more likely to be a market for the carriers to different people etc.
Maybe keep one of the carriers to sell with the enlarger, like the 6X9

one?

While separating items is often a good idea when there's a strong market for
each item individually, it's probably not a good idea in this case except
maybe for the one glass carrier. If you look at the completed sales section
of e bay you'll see that negative carriers alone seldom attract any bids.
Most of the time the only ones that sell at all are the glass variety -
since they cost $100 or so new and are useful to people still doing darkroom
work, there seems to be a market for them at about $20. But plain negative
carriers by themselves attract almost no interest.

Separating the lenses from the enlarger might be a good idea if they were
something special or unusual but plain vanilla enlarging lenses as old and
relatively mediocre as these are unlikely IMHO to attract much interest by
themselves.