flash question, external flash power

Old July 19th 04, 04:33 AM
Destin_FL

Default flash question, external flash power

OK, obvious newbie question... I have a digital camera, and bought a $115
external hot-shoe flash for it, thinking that I would end up with a much more
powerful illumination in big rooms for example. But incredibly the little built
in flash on the camera is MUCH brighter than that behemoth $115 external flash
sitting atop the camera! I must be missing something.

Tim

Old July 19th 04, 01:08 PM
Mark B.

"Destin_FL" wrote in message
newsiHKc.3556$Qv4.1628@lakeread03...
OK, obvious newbie question... I have a digital camera, and bought a $115
external hot-shoe flash for it, thinking that I would end up with a much

more
powerful illumination in big rooms for example. But incredibly the little

built
in flash on the camera is MUCH brighter than that behemoth $115 external

flash
sitting atop the camera! I must be missing something.

Tim

Which camera & which flash?

Old July 19th 04, 02:14 PM
Michael Meissner

"Destin_FL" writes:

OK, obvious newbie question... I have a digital camera, and bought a $115
external hot-shoe flash for it, thinking that I would end up with a much more
powerful illumination in big rooms for example. But incredibly the little built
in flash on the camera is MUCH brighter than that behemoth $115 external flash
sitting atop the camera! I must be missing something.

I dunno, you might be not using the flash correctly, or you might have bought
an inferior flash. For straight shooting (no bounce), I have photographed
people 30-50 feet away with my two flashes (both a $35 auto flash which was
pretty much at its limit when the camera was at ISO 400, and my $200 TTL flash
with the camera at ISO 100). Note if you are bouncing the flash, you will get
a lot less range than if you shoot direct, since a lot of the light does not
illuminate the subject.

--
Michael Meissner
email: