Preserve Android meta-data

Old June 28th 17, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Preserve Android meta-data

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Just returned home from a wonderful vacation to Europe and got some
great photos on my Android LG- G6

On the device when I examine photo details I ma given a slew of info. In
addition to shutter speed and f-stop I get the exact date and time plus
exact street address, city and country.

When I copy the images to my Win10 PC using ...Photoshop CS-6... though
much of the meta-data is preserved

*all* of it is. every single bit.

for GPS location I get the latitude
and longitude but do not get the actual street address , city and
country is is present on the Android.

because the software you used on your computer didn't reverse geocode
the gps coordinates.

the address itself is not in the photos. only the gps coordinates.

Anyone here know how to preserve all the camera's meta-data ?

all of it is preserved.

you just need different software, one that does a reverse geocode.

Another helpful response.
Philo wold like a suggestion, and or recommendation. I did not answer,
because I do not know. You obviously do, so just respond to his
question,

i did respond, with sufficient information to make an informed decision
on what software to get that fits his needs.

most apps will reverse to just a city because the geocoding is not
always accurate to the exact address and a city is enough anyway.

he wants exact street address so he can begin his search for *that*.

or STFU.

if only you would.
Old June 28th 17, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| If the
| lookup has been done by the device then all that remains
| is for an app to embed the data into the JPG image file
| header.
|
| the lookup is usually done on the fly because there are query limits,
| so doing it for photos not viewed, perhaps ultimately deleted, is a
| waste.

I've written software using the Google API. The limit
is 25,000 maps in 24 hours for the free, anonymous
version. I'm not aware of any limit on geocoding calls.

https://developers.google.com/maps/d...s/usage-limits

So I don't think that's a concern. Philo wants the
address embedded in the photo. There's no reason
an app can't do that. It might change the mod date
on the file, if there's actually a mod date in the camera
that tranfers to the computer. So what? That's not
EXIF data. It's data maintained by the OS.

But he would need to find an app that can edit the
JPG header on the device. On the other hand, there's
no reason the same thing couldn't be done on his
computer. It's not an especially complex task
programmatically. I'd write it myself if I had any
interest in storing all that data in images. Automating
tag creation as much as possible makes a lot more
sense than using a utility to hand-enter tags on a
per-photo basis. A simple program could be set to
enumerate all JPG files on the system, check for
lat/long EXIF tags, get a location from Google if tags
are found, then add that to an IPTC header.

Old June 28th 17, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| If the
| lookup has been done by the device then all that remains
| is for an app to embed the data into the JPG image file
| header.
|
| the lookup is usually done on the fly because there are query limits,
| so doing it for photos not viewed, perhaps ultimately deleted, is a
| waste.

I've written software using the Google API. The limit
is 25,000 maps in 24 hours for the free, anonymous
version.

wrong.

https://developers.google.com/maps/d...g/start#revers
Reverse geocoding is the process of converting geographic coordinates
into a human-readable address. The Google Maps Geocoding API's
reverse geocoding service also lets you find the address for a given
place ID.
Review the usage limits page for details on the quotas set for the
Google Maps Geocoding API.

the usage limits are he
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/geocoding/usage-limits

standard (free) plan:
€ 2,500 free requests per day, calculated as the sum of client-side
and server-side queries.
€ 50 requests per second, calculated as the sum of client-side and
server-side queries.
$0.50 USD / 1000 additional requests, up to 100,000 daily.

premium (paid) plan:
€ Shared daily free quota of 100,000 requests per 24 hours;
additional requests applied against the annual purchase of Maps APIs
Credits.

again, note that this is *per* *developer*, not per user.

for the standard plan, if there are 2500 people using the developer's
app and they do only *one* query each, then the developer has hit their
daily limit for free queries.

with over a billion phones out there, it's not hard to hit the limit
even on the premium plan.

I'm not aware of any limit on geocoding calls.

you are now.

https://developers.google.com/maps/d...s/usage-limits

that's static maps, not geocoding.

So I don't think that's a concern.

then you think wrong.

Philo wants the
address embedded in the photo.

he wants to *see* the address. it doesn't have to be embedded.

There's no reason
an app can't do that. It might change the mod date
on the file, if there's actually a mod date in the camera
that tranfers to the computer.

of course there is. it's just another file from another computer.

So what? That's not
EXIF data. It's data maintained by the OS.

the so what is that it will affect those who use the file system for
managing assets rather than a a more advanced asset manager.

you wouldn't know anyone like that though, would you?

But he would need to find an app that can edit the
JPG header on the device.

nope. it's stored in a tag, not the header.

On the other hand, there's
no reason the same thing couldn't be done on his
computer.

that's the point.

It's not an especially complex task
programmatically. I'd write it myself if I had any
interest in storing all that data in images.

i doubt you could figure out how. you linked to the wrong api above.

Automating
tag creation as much as possible makes a lot more
sense than using a utility to hand-enter tags on a
per-photo basis.

nobody said anything about manually entering in tags.

A simple program could be set to
enumerate all JPG files on the system, check for
lat/long EXIF tags, get a location from Google if tags
are found, then add that to an IPTC header.

and hit a query limit rather quickly.
Old June 28th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"philo" wrote

| Yes. I am a bit tired now from my vacation and will indeed look into
| EXIFTool thank you.

EXIFTool doesn't list the function you want. This looks
like a possibility:

http://www.geosetter.de/en/

What you need is known as reverse geocoding.
But you probably also want automated batch
processing. In other words, you can upload an
image to a website to do it. You can do it on
your Android device. But what you're really looking
for is software to do something like the following:

1) Extract GPS data from EXIF tags and convert
that to 6-place decimal notation if necessary.

2) Call Google to perform reverse geo-coding and
get a location string back.

3) Parse the return. (Google sends JSON or
possibly XML.)

4) Open the JPG again and edit the header to
include the location string in an EXIF of IPTC tag.

5) Do that in some kind of batch mode, so that
you can do something like drop a folder onto the
program and have all JPGs in it processed.

Old June 28th 17, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| I've written software using the Google API. The limit
| is 25,000 maps in 24 hours for the free, anonymous
| version.
|
| wrong.

Yes. Oddly the limit is 2,500 for geocoding, yet 25,000
for images. So Philo will only be able to process 2,500
images per days. Shucks.

| again, note that this is *per* *developer*, not per user.

It's per IP address. They only track "developer" if
one has an ID key with a paid subscription. For
instance, an ad-supported website that offers
reverse geo-coding might pay Google for a license.
Then when they call Google to geocode they include
their license key in the request.

But all of this can be done for free with no key.
I do it myself. Google allows anyone to write software
using their free API as long as 1) it's free and 2)
it shows a Google logo somewhere.

http://www.jsware.net/jsware/gmapkit.php5

My GMap Kit is like a miniature Google Maps
combined with streetview and directions. It
calls the Google API server for geocoding, map
images, etc. Anyone who uses the program can
get 640x640 maps and streetview images, up
to the daily limit.

Their developer guide page is confusing because
it includes the license key as a required parameter
when making a request of the Google server, but
that's not required when using the free version.

Old June 28th 17, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| I've written software using the Google API. The limit
| is 25,000 maps in 24 hours for the free, anonymous
| version.
|
| wrong.

Yes. Oddly the limit is 2,500 for geocoding, yet 25,000
for images. So Philo will only be able to process 2,500
images per days. Shucks.

2500 per day for all users of whatever app is used, assuming the
developer of said app didn't pay for a higher tier, which they probably
did unless it's some piece of **** freebie.

he can manually do it himself though, but i doubt he wants to.

| again, note that this is *per* *developer*, not per user.

It's per IP address.

nope, it's per developer api key.

They only track "developer" if
one has an ID key with a paid subscription.

which an app would have.

For
instance, an ad-supported website that offers
reverse geo-coding might pay Google for a license.
Then when they call Google to geocode they include
their license key in the request.

it doesn't need to be ad supported.

But all of this can be done for free with no key.
I do it myself. Google allows anyone to write software
using their free API as long as 1) it's free and 2)
it shows a Google logo somewhere.

then go write an app for philo to use.
Old June 28th 17, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

Take a breath. Then maybe take another. Then
re-read my post. Anyone can make anonymous
requests to the Google server, up to 25K per day
for maps and 2,500 per day for geo-coding. My
software is doing it. You can do it. If you find
a Windows box you can use my software to do it.
It's free. It runs entirely through Google map
API. and it does it anonymously, with no key.

As I said, their page is slightly confusing. It's similar
to companies that offer freeware versions but make
you search through numerous pages to find the
download link. They want to push you to buy the
paid version. Google are extremely generous with
their APIs. Nevertheless, they don't want to
discourage companies from licensing the product.
So they don't advertise the free version very
clearly. The developer docs are geared toward the
people who are using the API commercially.

then go write an app for philo to use.

It's tempting. I've already written IPTC header code,
EXIF header code, and Google maps code. But I need
to have some interest in the project if I'm not getting
paid, and I have zero interest in tagging my photos.
I generally strip tags/headers rather than add them.
And I don't have a hard time remembering locations.
If I have a photo named "Al and Jane at Harwich
diner.jpg" and it's in a folder named "Summer 2015
Cape Cod" then I can pretty much figure it out.
If I can't figure it out then I probably don't care.

The only purpose I can think of would be if I were
a realtor and was photographing several houses per
day. Then it might be convenient to auto-add their
addresses.

On the other hand, for someone like you who
depends on an "asset manager" to find your photos,
I'd be happy to write the software for a fee. Of
course, it will only run on Windows, but at least when
you look at a photo of your house you'll know that's
what it is. What's that worth to ya?

Old June 28th 17, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

On the other hand, for someone like you who
depends on an "asset manager" to find your photos,

as do hundreds of millions of others because of the incredible power an
asset manager brings, versus the primitive methods you're stuck with.

how fast can you retrieve all photos taken within a 1 mile radius of
your house in calendar year 2015 which don't have people in them?

I'd be happy to write the software for a fee.

don't quit your day job.

Of
course, it will only run on Windows,

so what?

but at least when
you look at a photo of your house you'll know that's
what it is. What's that worth to ya?

$5, simply for the entertainment value.
Old June 29th 17, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/28/2017 12:02 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

Another pre-Kindergarten response.

--
PeterN
Old June 29th 17, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Preserve Android meta-data ::::Solved:::

On 06/27/2017 10:23 AM, philo wrote:
Just returned home from a wonderful vacation to Europe and got some
great photos on my Android LG- G6

On the device when I examine photo details I ma given a slew of info. In
addition to shutter speed and f-stop I get the exact date and time plus
exact street address, city and country.

When I copy the images to my Win10 PC using ...Photoshop CS-6... though
much of the meta-data is preserved for GPS location I get the latitude
and longitude but do not get the actual street address , city and
country is is present on the Android.

Anyone here know how to preserve all the camera's meta-data ?

thanks

I looked that the EXIF data using IrFanView and am able to open up the
exact location in Open Street, Google Earth or Google Maps.

Super great free program.

I once sent Irfan a contribution and for sure I am going to do so again.

I am very pleased