Ebay lens listing query

Old February 21st 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adrian Boliston

Default Ebay lens listing query

I expect most of you will have brought or sold glass on ebay at some time,
but I'm just wondering on the best way of listing a zoom lens.

Would you generally put "17-55mm" in the title of the listing or would you
bother adding "17-55" as well just in case someone searches for just that
keyword (without the "mm"). I have noticed that quite a lot of listings
include both. (I'm not selling a 17-55 but just using that as an example!)

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old February 21st 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 21 Feb, 14:56, "Adrian Boliston" wrote:
I expect most of you will have brought or sold glass on ebay at some time,
but I'm just wondering on the best way of listing a zoom lens.

Would you generally put "17-55mm" in the title of the listing or would you
bother adding "17-55" as well just in case someone searches for just that
keyword (without the "mm"). I have noticed that quite a lot of listings
include both. (I'm not selling a 17-55 but just using that as an example!)

cheers adrianwww.boliston.co.uk

Put the mm after a space if you need to. An ebay search will work like
that.
I've not sold lenses before but whenever i've searched i often do so
without the mm.

Doc

Old February 21st 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Recycle THIS

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message
I expect most of you will have brought or sold glass on ebay at some time,
but I'm just wondering on the best way of listing a zoom lens.

Would you generally put "17-55mm" in the title of the listing or would you
bother adding "17-55" as well just in case someone searches for just that
keyword (without the "mm"). I have noticed that quite a lot of
listings include both. (I'm not selling a 17-55 but just using that as
an example!)

If it's a Canon lens, whatever you do, don't set a reserve on it. They reach
the market level regardless, and setting a reserve may put off potential
buyers. Oh, and it costs more!

Old February 21st 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adrian Boliston

"Recycle THIS" wrote in message
o.uk...

If it's a Canon lens, whatever you do, don't set a reserve on it. They
reach the market level regardless, and setting a reserve may put off
potential buyers. Oh, and it costs more!

This seems pretty much the case with any current Canon & Nikkor glass. I
recently sold my 18-70 Nikkor Kit lens and started it off at 99p and the
bids just came flying in! It pretty much covered the difference between
what I paid for my D70s kit and the "body only" price. I also sold a
50mm/1.8 for about 90% of the "brand new" price. I'm not sure if
Sigma/Tamron/Tokina glass is as easy to sell on at such good prices.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old February 22nd 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Recycle THIS

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message
"Recycle THIS" wrote in message
o.uk...

If it's a Canon lens, whatever you do, don't set a reserve on it. They
reach the market level regardless, and setting a reserve may put off
potential buyers. Oh, and it costs more!

This seems pretty much the case with any current Canon & Nikkor glass. I
recently sold my 18-70 Nikkor Kit lens and started it off at 99p and the
bids just came flying in! It pretty much covered the difference between
what I paid for my D70s kit and the "body only" price. I also sold a
50mm/1.8 for about 90% of the "brand new" price. I'm not sure if
Sigma/Tamron/Tokina glass is as easy to sell on at such good prices.

'Name' brands (Canon, Nikkor et al) sell a LOT better than third party glass
on eBay. Strange, because some of the third party lenses are as good if not
better than the OEM stuff.........

Old February 22nd 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
just bob

"Recycle THIS" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message
I expect most of you will have brought or sold glass on ebay at some time,
but I'm just wondering on the best way of listing a zoom lens.

Would you generally put "17-55mm" in the title of the listing or would
you bother adding "17-55" as well just in case someone searches for just
that keyword (without the "mm"). I have noticed that quite a lot of
listings include both. (I'm not selling a 17-55 but just using that as
an example!)

If it's a Canon lens, whatever you do, don't set a reserve on it. They
reach the market level regardless, and setting a reserve may put off
potential buyers. Oh, and it costs more!

While I agree, it can of course be risky without a reserve. Instead start
your auction at your minimum you would hope to get before you cry. Try maybe
25% off the new price and see how close you get. I just wish the Buy It Now
price would not go away once someone bids. That's where setting a reserve is
better.

Old March 19th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
just bob

"Recycle THIS" wrote in message
news:45dcf1f0$0$141 'Name' brands (Canon, Nikkor et al) sell a LOT better
than third party glass
on eBay. Strange, because some of the third party lenses are as good if
not better than the OEM stuff.........

When they are GOOD COPIES, yes! Quality Control isn't what it used to be...