Canon SD300 first impressions... and possible issue?

Old December 30th 04, 03:53 PM
Curt Bousquet

Default Canon SD300 first impressions... and possible issue?

I'm a Nikon D100 user, but just got a Canon SD300 as a
'snapshot' camera for those times when the D100 is too bulky
to cary around.

First, I've got to say I've had this thing for a day and a
half and LOVE it so far. I'm still using the miniscule 16MB SD
card that Canon ships with it, waiting for delivery of my
Sandisk Extreme 512MB card. Until then, I'll have to settle
for 6 'superfine large' photos or about 8 seconds of video
before the card is full

I recognize that there are a few issues that make it less than
perfect (some blue fringing around high contrast borders,
softness at some aperatures, lack of direct shutterspeed or
aperature control) but for my purposes it is perfect! The
video mode (640x480 @ 30fps until the memory card is full) is
amazing.

All of the controls I use most often are no more than two
button pushes away. The camera's interface is very intuitive.

I expected to be underwhelmed by the flash, but I did some
test shots in full darkness last night and was fairly
impressed by the results when in 'slow flash sync' mode. These
pics will never be art shots, but for a snapshot camera they
are more than adequate. BTW: There is a LOT of grain at ISO
400, similar to that which I get with the D100 at 1600+. I
would avoid 400 except as a last resort

I was surprised to find some very helpful features like AE
Lock, AF Lock and even an Auto Flash lock (fires a test flash
at the subject in focus then locks that setting while you
recompose, so you can meter the flash on an object that is not
centered in the frame).

The camera is small enough that when you slip it into a pocket
you may even forget it is there...

On thing that bugs me in general about the Canon cameras is
that the USB interface requires you to install and use their
software to transfer pics. The Nikon mounts the camera as a
USB storage device, so you can browse to it as a drive on ANY
computer, no software install required. With the SD300, I
counted no less than *9* installed programs in my 'add remove
programs' listing after doing what I considered a pretty
minimal install.

Finally, the one thing I've noticed so far that may be a real
issue. I regularly filled the 16MB card while doing my test
pics. Almost every time, if the two last pictures were 'Large,
Superfine' images the transfer program would die before
downloading them, giving some kind of 'connection to camera
lost' error. When I check the camera, it would be powered off!

I've made sure I had a fresh battery installed and even
reformatted the card to make sure I didn't have some disk
corruption, but this error happens again and again. Hopefully,
it is only an issue whith a completely full SD card, so I
won't have to deal with it once I have a 512MB card. Even
better, it is a known issue that will be addressed with a
firmware or computer software update.

So my conclusion so far: Don't buy this camera for 'fine art'
photography, but if you want a really really nice snapshot
camera rich with features but easy to use, this is the one!
Old December 30th 04, 04:10 PM
Curt Bousquet

Curt Bousquet wrote let it be
known in :

Finally, the one thing I've noticed so far that may be a
real issue. I regularly filled the 16MB card while doing my
test pics. Almost every time, if the two last pictures were
'Large, Superfine' images the transfer program would die
before downloading them, giving some kind of 'connection to
camera lost' error. When I check the camera, it would be
powered off!

Update: This appears to be a problem with the software on the
computer side. When I use the transfer button on the camera to
initiate the transfer, it all works perfectly.
Old December 30th 04, 07:15 PM
MarkČ

"Curt Bousquet" wrote in message
[...]

Same solution for nearly ALL issues regarding file transfer:
Get a card reader.
I don't understand why people insist upon connecting the camera directly,
when cards are made to be removed, replaced, and swapped, etc.
You'll then have the drag-and-drop, drive-letter browsing you seak of
wanting, AND tranfer will likely be faster too.

I have considered the SD300 recently as well.
With the video mode, can you zoom while shooting? Or must that be set
before the video begins? 30 frames per second is fnatastic for that
resolution. Very unusual.

Thanks.
-Mark

Old December 30th 04, 07:50 PM
Curt Bousquet

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote
let it be known in news:ktYAd.62799$QR1.31388@fed1read04:

Same solution for nearly ALL issues regarding file
transfer: Get a card reader.
I don't understand why people insist upon connecting the
camera directly, when cards are made to be removed,
replaced, and swapped, etc. You'll then have the
drag-and-drop, drive-letter browsing you seak of wanting,
AND tranfer will likely be faster too.

Yeah, I guess I'm just too lazy to take the card out every
time I want to transfer. I've foud that initializing the
transfer from the button on the camera works without fail
every time, so it is certainly a flaw in their windows
software.

I have considered the SD300 recently as well.
With the video mode, can you zoom while shooting? Or must
that be set before the video begins? 30 frames per second
is fnatastic for that resolution. Very unusual.

Zoom is locked while shooting . At least it continues to
meter the light, so adjusts as needed. Another thing I just
learned to appreciate while out shooting video a few minutes
ago (my 512MB card just arrived) is how easy you can set a
custom white balance. It is just a few button pushes into the
menu and easy enough to use that I'm sure I'll be doing it
under almost all conditions for the best results.

The 30fps VGA is nice, but I think I'm going to enjoy the
60fps @ 320x200 just as much. I shoot a lot of pics (and now
video) on my Mtn. bike rides and can't wait to take some 60fps
video of jumps and things, then play it back at 30fps for slow
motion.

I wish I could post links to some sample video, but the AVI
files the camera produces are HUGE (2MB/sec). Once I find some
software that lets me re-encode it to a better compressed
format, maybe I'll put some online.

Old December 30th 04, 08:14 PM
MarkČ

[...]

Is there a facility for playing back in slow motion that comes with the
camera software bundle? That would be a great feature if so. Thanks for
the info on light metering during video shooting--another question I have
wondered about.

Old December 30th 04, 08:41 PM
Curt Bousquet

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote
let it be known in news:skZAd.63081$QR1.35201@fed1read04:

Is there a facility for playing back in slow motion that
comes with the camera software bundle? That would be a
great feature if so. Thanks for the info on light metering
during video shooting--another question I have wondered
about.

I haven't bothered much with the software that came with the
camera. A cursory look left the impression that it was very
limited and not worth spending much time with. If I do end up
getting a card reader, I'll probably end up uninstalling all the
nastyness that Canon loaded onto my system.

The video player software I use (BS Player
http://www.bsplayer.org/) lets you change playback speeds on the
fly from 10% up to... I don't kow. I've had it as high as 800%.

When I find some decent video editting software, I'm sure it
will allow me to set the playback speed to anything I want so I
can burn the videos to DVD at 1/2 speed or slower.

Does anybody know of any freeware or very cheap video editting
software? I'm not going to be using it enough to justify
spending a lot of money on it, but I'd like to be able to
transfer some stuff to DVD and add simple transitions, etc.