Lightning Storm in Houston

Old July 23rd 09, 09:51 PM
customminds customminds is offline
Junior Member

Location: houston texas
Default Lightning Storm in Houston

Thunderstorm in Houston last night

I always get weird looks when I run to the balcony with the tripod and camera. Tonight their was the first lightning storm… or I should say… first lightning since we moved in. I took about 20 timed shots altogether and only 4 or so were workable. This was the best one of the bunch.

http://www.customminds.com/cityscape/2009-07-22/
URL = super large version where you can zoom in and pan around of the following image.
if you can zoom in on the link, you can see the lightning behind the building under construction. kinda cool.

http://www.customminds.com/cityscape...7-22/storm.jpg
(i seem to be having a problem making this a displayable image. sorry!)

positive critiques welcome.
__________________
-----------------------------------
Custom Minds Photography
-----------------------------------
Houston Wedding Photographer
Houston Family Portrait Photographer
Houston Event Photographer
-----------------------------------

Last edited by customminds : July 23rd 09 at 09:53 PM.
Old July 23rd 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

[image: http://www.customminds.com/cityscape...-22/storm.jpg]
(i seem to be having a problem making this a displayable image.
sorry!)

positive critiques welcome.

Congrats, nice capture. BTW, if you have more, I figure it's fair to
overlay other strikes with a tripod long exposure shot like that g.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old July 24th 09, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

customminds wrote:
Thunderstorm in Houston last night

I always get weird looks when I run to the balcony with the tripod and
camera. Tonight their was the first lightning storm… or I should
say… first lightning since we moved in. I took about 20 timed
shots altogether and only 4 or so were workable. This was the best one
of the bunch.

http://www.customminds.com/cityscape/2009-07-22/
URL = super large version where you can zoom in and pan around of the
following image.
if you can zoom in on the link, you can see the lightning behind the
building under construction. kinda cool.

[image: http://www.customminds.com/cityscape...-22/storm.jpg]
(i seem to be having a problem making this a displayable image.
sorry!)

positive critiques welcome.

Now that is a very COOL shot. (actually about 20,000°C )
As common and fascinating as lightning is, it is still a matter of
debate as to exactly what causes it. Also, there are MANY different
types of lightning with very different properties.
Wikipedia has an interesting read on the subject.
For those interested, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning
Bob Williams

Old July 24th 09, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:51:24 +0100, customminds
wrote:

Thunderstorm in Houston last night

I always get weird looks when I run to the balcony with the tripod and
camera. Tonight their was the first lightning storm… or I should
say… first lightning since we moved in. I took about 20 timed
shots altogether and only 4 or so were workable. This was the best one
of the bunch.

Great shot. Would you mind posting your exposure information?
Old July 24th 09, 11:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

wrote:

Thunderstorm in Houston last night

I always get weird looks when I run to the balcony with the tripod
and camera. Tonight their was the first lightning storm… or I
should say… first lightning since we moved in. I took about 20
timed shots altogether and only 4 or so were workable. This was the
best one of the bunch.

Great shot. Would you mind posting your exposure information?

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Image Date: 2009:07:22 20:41:56
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 50.0mm
CCD Width: 4.81mm
Exposure Time: 30.000 s
Apertu f/16.0
ISO equiv: 50
White Balance: Auto
Exposure Mode: Manual

Available from the second link the OP posted. There's a plugin for
Firefox called FxIF which grabs exif information when you right-click
on an image and select 'Properties'.

http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/fxif/

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old July 24th 09, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

Paul Furman wrote:
customminds wrote:
[...]

I haven't been to Houston in several years, thanks to mobility issues,
but I assume that you took these from one of the tall buildings in the
Galleria area, Right or wrong? And I enjoyed seeing your pictures.
Allen
Old July 24th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/23/09 6:08 PM, in article
, "Nicko"
wrote:

On Jul 23, 3:51*pm, customminds
wrote:
Thunderstorm in Houston last night

I always get weird looks when I run to the balcony with the tripod and
camera. Tonight their was the first lightning storm… or I should
say… first lightning since we moved in. I took about 20 timed
shots altogether and only 4 or so were workable. This was the best one
of the bunch.

http://www.customminds.com/cityscape/2009-07-22/
URL = super large version where you can zoom in and pan around of the
following image.
if you can zoom in on the link, you can see the lightning behind the
building under construction. kinda cool.

I noticed that right away. Pretty freaky.

What's with the banding in the sky, esp. prominent to the left in the
image? Is that some kind of artifact?

That's a lighting arrangement on the top of a building.

Here it is, on the right side with the 'dome'...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/n6s8aq

Old July 24th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/23/09 8:17 PM, in article , "Paul"
wrote:

"customminds" wrote in message

Thunderstorm in Houston last night

I always get weird looks when I run to the balcony with the tripod and
camera. Tonight their was the first lightning storm… or I should
say… first lightning since we moved in. I took about 20 timed
shots altogether and only 4 or so were workable. This was the best one
of the bunch.

http://www.customminds.com/cityscape/2009-07-22/
URL = super large version where you can zoom in and pan around of the
following image.
if you can zoom in on the link, you can see the lightning behind the
building under construction. kinda cool.

[image: http://www.customminds.com/cityscape...-22/storm.jpg]
(i seem to be having a problem making this a displayable image.
sorry!)

Very cool. Where in Houston was this taken from?

I was driving back to Houston from the northwest last night. From that
perspective, the storm was interesting, but not quite this spectacular.

High-rise. Between Alameda Road and 288 near MacGregor/Hermann Drive.

Old July 24th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/24/09 5:04 AM, in article
, "Joe Makowiec"

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tip, Joe!

Old July 24th 09, 03:40 PM
customminds customminds is offline
Junior Member

Location: houston texas

Paul - Thank you. I'll attempt that this next storm for you! :-)

Bob - Thanks Bob. I'm heading there to read up on it now. Lightning is definitely a fascinating subject.

R Walker - Thanks! Here are the shot settings
iso L (50)
shutter 30 seconds
f16
auto WB