first panorama attempt - downtown houston - 525megapixel

Old July 19th 09, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

Default first panorama attempt - downtown houston - 525megapixel

On 7/19/09 4:30 AM, in article ,
"SkinnerOne" wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:46:19 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:25:06 +0100, customminds
wrote:
:
:
http://www.customminds.com/houston
:
: My first attempt at a panorama. Taken with about 25 21mp images.
:
: Please let me know your thoughts. I will attempt a daytime pano in a
: few days.

Since you asked …
That appears to be a massive waste of effort; downtown Houston is one of the
most boring locales on the planet. The picture is saved, more or less, only
because any city tends to look pretty good at night. And don't waste your
time
on a daytime shot; you'll never get the haze out of it, this time of year.

All kidding aside (Yes, I know, an absurd notion in this newsgroup) …
What jumps out at me is that your vantage point is way too far from the
downtown area. Even after you clean it up, the inteesting part will be lost
behind the highways and housing tracts. Were those aerial shots, or were you
on top of a building in another part of town? If the former, and you can take
the plane up again, see if you can get closer without incurring the wrath of
the FAA. I think the result would be better.

Bob

Harsh Bob. I thought it was a good example of night shooting in the
clarity he got. Then again, I tend to be more positive.

I think Bob had his tongue planted in his cheek...

Old July 20th 09, 03:03 AM
customminds customminds is offline
Junior Member

Location: houston texas

A more massive waste of time might have been your wordy response. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coe View Post
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:25:06 +0100, customminds
wrote:
:
:
[...]

__________________
-----------------------------------
Custom Minds Photography
-----------------------------------
Houston Wedding Photographer
Houston Family Portrait Photographer
Houston Event Photographer
-----------------------------------
Old July 20th 09, 03:12 AM
customminds customminds is offline
Junior Member

Location: houston texas

okay everyone. Thank you for the excellent feedback.

It was quite a bit of work for my first attempt and although there are problems with the photo (that any child can point out). The process was what I was aiming for.

I ended up using the following settings for each of the photos
20 sec
100 iso
f9

overall... 25-45 images. 15 minutes to stitch them together... about 10 hours to edit it on photoshop. 65GB of scratch disk used. win xp (laptop)

also, just to give you my personal opinion... if someone gives negative feedback, you should be willing to assume the person you give it to will hand it back. Everyone has faults and each of us can easily point them out. No harm, no foul.

As for me now, I know what problems I will need to fix on the next attempt.

Thank you all again!!

Michael
__________________
-----------------------------------
Custom Minds Photography
-----------------------------------
Old July 20th 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

wrote: :
:
http://www.customminds.com/houston
:
: My first attempt at a panorama. Taken with about 25 21mp images. :
: Please let me know your thoughts. I will attempt a daytime pano in a
: few days.

Since you asked Â…
That appears to be a massive waste of effort; downtown Houston is one
of the
most boring locales on the planet. The picture is saved, more or less,
only
because any city tends to look pretty good at night. And don't waste
your time
on a daytime shot; you'll never get the haze out of it, this time of
year.

All kidding aside (Yes, I know, an absurd notion in this newsgroup) Â…
What jumps out at me is that your vantage point is way too far from the
downtown area. Even after you clean it up, the inteesting part will be
lost
behind the highways and housing tracts. Were those aerial shots, or
were you
on top of a building in another part of town? If the former, and you
can take
the plane up again, see if you can get closer without incurring the
wrath of
the FAA. I think the result would be better.

Bob

Just LOVE folks who ask for comments and then complain when they get some.
Old July 20th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

wrote:
:
: http://www.customminds.com/houston
:
: My first attempt at a panorama. Taken with about 25 21mp images.
:
: Please let me know your thoughts. I will attempt a daytime pano in a
: few days.

Since you asked …
That appears to be a massive waste of effort; downtown Houston is one of the
most boring locales on the planet. The picture is saved, more or less, only
because any city tends to look pretty good at night. And don't waste your time
on a daytime shot; you'll never get the haze out of it, this time of year.

Regardless of what city a panorama of Houston is just fine. What's
less boring? A field? A mountain? A panorama of a city, even a boring
one has a lot more substance to it than a panorama of a field.

All kidding aside (Yes, I know, an absurd notion in this newsgroup) …
What jumps out at me is that your vantage point is way too far from the
downtown area.

Taking the shots from a distance from downtown allows for a less
obstructed, more inclusive panorama..........

Even after you clean it up, the inteesting part will be lost
behind the highways and housing tracts. Were those aerial shots, or were you
on top of a building in another part of town? If the former, and you can take
the plane up again, see if you can get closer without incurring the wrath of
the FAA. I think the result would be better.

Bob

How would one take usable panoramas from a plane? Please explain.

Old July 20th 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

wrote:

http://www.customminds.com/houston

My first attempt at a panorama. Taken with about 25 21mp images.

Please let me know your thoughts. I will attempt a daytime pano in a
few days.

Michael

Panoramas are unique in that they are so inclusive that one
can always find something new. They become a never ending
story that a typical picture has a difficult time doing.

Is the pano technically perfect? No. I can see seams. I can see
headlight trails. But this pano even with these flaws is a great
example of what makes a pano so different, so interesting.
Old July 22nd 09, 03:08 AM
customminds customminds is offline
Junior Member

Location: houston texas

Ray - I might be in the wrong, but I thought their was a difference between a critique and an insult?
Custom Minds Photography