first panorama attempt - downtown houston - 525megapixel

Old July 16th 09, 09:25 PM
customminds customminds is offline
Junior Member

Location: houston texas
Default first panorama attempt - downtown houston - 525megapixel

http://www.customminds.com/houston

My first attempt at a panorama. Taken with about 25 21mp images.

Please let me know your thoughts. I will attempt a daytime pano in a few days.

Michael
__________________
-----------------------------------
Custom Minds Photography
-----------------------------------
Houston Wedding Photographer
Houston Family Portrait Photographer
Houston Event Photographer
-----------------------------------

Old July 16th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
YDOD

--
customminds

It's very interesting, I will look forward to the daytime one.

Old July 17th 09, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff R.

customminds wrote:
http://www.customminds.com/houston

My first attempt at a panorama. Taken with about 25 21mp images.

Please let me know your thoughts. I will attempt a daytime pano in a
few days.

Michael

Very nice.
Excellent stitching.
Congrats.

--
Jeff R.

Old July 17th 09, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , customminds says...

http://www.customminds.com/houston

My first attempt at a panorama. Taken with about 25 21mp images.

Just a question - 25 images at 21MP each will give you a 525MP pano?
Don't you have any overlap between the images?

Typically the images in a panorama sequence overlap and contribute with
only 50%-60% to the panorama resolution, i.e. with 25 21MP images you
get a panoramic image around 300MP or so.
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 18th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:25:06 +0100, customminds
wrote:
:
: http://www.customminds.com/houston
:
: My first attempt at a panorama. Taken with about 25 21mp images.
:
: Please let me know your thoughts. I will attempt a daytime pano in a
: few days.

Since you asked …
That appears to be a massive waste of effort; downtown Houston is one of the
most boring locales on the planet. The picture is saved, more or less, only
because any city tends to look pretty good at night. And don't waste your time
on a daytime shot; you'll never get the haze out of it, this time of year.

All kidding aside (Yes, I know, an absurd notion in this newsgroup) …
What jumps out at me is that your vantage point is way too far from the
downtown area. Even after you clean it up, the inteesting part will be lost
behind the highways and housing tracts. Were those aerial shots, or were you
on top of a building in another part of town? If the former, and you can take
the plane up again, see if you can get closer without incurring the wrath of
the FAA. I think the result would be better.

Bob
Old July 18th 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Robert Coe
says...

All kidding aside (Yes, I know, an absurd notion in this newsgroup) ?
What jumps out at me is that your vantage point is way too far from the
downtown area. Even after you clean it up, the inteesting part will be lost
behind the highways and housing tracts. Were those aerial shots, or were you
on top of a building in another part of town? If the former, and you can take
the plane up again, see if you can get closer without incurring the wrath of
the FAA. I think the result would be better.

Technically that panorama has visible transitions between the images -
not a good blending. If submitted to a stock photo agency it would
probably fail QC.

Also, since it's a night time pano, the long exposures mean that cars
which are in one image are not in the adjacent one, so that you see a
trail of light abruptly ending at the image border.

This problem can only be solved by saving the panorama as a multiple
layer image, one image per layer (25 layers in total) and editing the
transitions between the layers manually. But with a 500+ MP image the
resulting 25-layer image file will be in the GB size, requiring a
computer with HUGE amounts of RAM ( 20 GB ?).
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 18th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/18/09 10:46 AM, in article ,
"Robert Coe" wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:25:06 +0100, customminds
wrote:
:
:
[...]

He was on top (or near) of a high rise near Alameda Road close to Houston's
Medical Center. A time-exposure from an fixed-wing would be impossible and a
chopper cannot hold below 500 feet, even if it were possible to gyroscope
the camera.

Old July 19th 09, 10:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SkinnerOne

wrote:

http://www.customminds.com/houston

My first attempt at a panorama. Taken with about 25 21mp images.

Please let me know your thoughts. I will attempt a daytime pano in a
few days.

Michael

Excellent sharpness in your shots. I was amazed at maximum zoom how
much detail you got. You can read all but the smallest signs. There is
a motel in the bottom right portion of the pan that you can almost
read the license plates on the cars!

Please, tell us a little about how you go t the shot and what kind of
exposures you had to use. I am guessing maube 4-6 seconds, maybe 10?
but that's just a guess based on the light trails.
Old July 19th 09, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SkinnerOne

wrote:
:
[...]

Harsh Bob. I thought it was a good example of night shooting in the
clarity he got. Then again, I tend to be more positive.