Canon 20D / Studio Lighting Question ???

Old December 12th 05, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Canon 20D / Studio Lighting Question ???

Hi All,

I have the Canon 20D and want to set up an indoor studio. I plan on
getting the two softboxes w/strobes and a rear fill strobe. I know the
Canon 20D has the speedlite built in but my question is what does it
take to fire the remote studio strobes ? I recently noticed in another
studio using Olympus cameras they had some sort of trigger wireless
transmitter on the hot shoe. Any comments or suggestions would be
appreciated as this will be my first indoor studio. Thanks

Joey
Old December 12th 05, 05:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Joey" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have the Canon 20D and want to set up an indoor studio. I plan on
getting the two softboxes w/strobes and a rear fill strobe. I know the
Canon 20D has the speedlite built in but my question is what does it take
to fire the remote studio strobes ? I recently noticed in another studio
using Olympus cameras they had some sort of trigger wireless transmitter
on the hot shoe. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated as this
will be my first indoor studio. Thanks

PC cords. No need to use wireless remote inside a studio.
In my case, if I have more than one strobe, I connect one directly to the
camera using a PC cord, then set up the others as slaves (they have built-in
photo sensors).

Old December 12th 05, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have the Canon 20D and want to set up an indoor studio. I plan on
getting the two softboxes w/strobes and a rear fill strobe. I know the
Canon 20D has the speedlite built in but my question is what does it take
to fire the remote studio strobes ? I recently noticed in another studio
using Olympus cameras they had some sort of trigger wireless transmitter
on the hot shoe. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated as this
will be my first indoor studio. Thanks

I throw my flash on the camera, and turn the power down to 1/64 or 1/128,
and use that to trigger the optical slaves. It's a bit more weight to hold,
but that's offset by not having any cords. A wireless setup would be even
nicer, but a lot more expensive - I already had the flash, so I don't count
that in the cost.

steve

Old December 12th 05, 09:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message
[...]

Am I correct in thinking that you need a manual flash on a 20d for this to
prevent the strobes from going off too soon? What flash are you using?
Could anyone recommend a dirt cheap flash that has manual and works on a
20d?

Old December 12th 05, 09:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Dirty Harry" writes:
Am I correct in thinking that you need a manual flash on a 20d for this to
prevent the strobes from going off too soon? What flash are you using?
Could anyone recommend a dirt cheap flash that has manual and works on a
20d?

You could get digital optical slaves, or else use wired remotes.

http://porters.com/Merchant2/merchan...ct_Code=130577
Old December 12th 05, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"peter" wrote in message
"Joey" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have the Canon 20D and want to set up an indoor studio. I plan on
getting the two softboxes w/strobes and a rear fill strobe. I know the
Canon 20D has the speedlite built in but my question is what does it take
to fire the remote studio strobes ? I recently noticed in another studio
using Olympus cameras they had some sort of trigger wireless transmitter
on the hot shoe. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated as
this will be my first indoor studio. Thanks

PC cords. No need to use wireless remote inside a studio.
In my case, if I have more than one strobe, I connect one directly to the
camera using a PC cord, then set up the others as slaves (they have
built-in photo sensors).

Just be careful on the sync voltages with a PC cord...I've heard that Canon
has a maximum sync voltage of 6V and some modern studio flash is higher
than that...use a Wein safe sync if you need to or are uncertain. Luckily,
my Nikon D70 has a max sync voltage over 150V (I believe it is 250V but
am not going to look it up) so it is fine with my Bowens 15V sync flashes.
It'd be a real shame to fry your camera's electronics.

Old December 12th 05, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Joey" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have the Canon 20D and want to set up an indoor studio. I plan on
getting the two softboxes w/strobes and a rear fill strobe. I know the
Canon 20D has the speedlite built in but my question is what does it take
to fire the remote studio strobes ? I recently noticed in another studio
using Olympus cameras they had some sort of trigger wireless transmitter
on the hot shoe. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated as this
will be my first indoor studio. Thanks

Joey

The Wireless remote system is very good, and they are not nearly as
expensive, as you might think. Just put the Sender on the hotshoe, and the
receiver into one of the Jacks on a Strobe.

The other Strobes will probably have built in Slave Switches, which will
fire them when the Wirelessly controlled one Fires. If the Strobes don't
have Slaves, then Plug in ones can easily be bought, or they can be linked
by Cable.

OR 1. Using any cheap little, very low powered, Flash on Camera, ideally
with it aimed at the ceiling, should enable the Slaves to fire the Strobes.

OR 2. Use the Built In Camera Flash, set to its lowest Power setting, and
to Manual. This is the least best option, because it may put some light
into any area you want to stay very dark.

In all cases all Flashes, and the Camera will need to operate in Maunual
Mode, and a Flash Meter then becomes an almost indispensable tool.

Roy G

Old December 12th 05, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Am I correct in thinking that you need a manual flash on a 20d for this to
prevent the strobes from going off too soon? What flash are you using?
Could anyone recommend a dirt cheap flash that has manual and works on a
20d?

Yes, you need a manual flash to be able to turn down the power, so that it
won't affect the exposure. I use a Sigma 500 DG Super in manual mode. It's
not dirt-cheap, I have it for general use, and triggering strobes with it is
just a bonus.

steve

Old December 14th 05, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Joey" wrote in message

Hi All,

I have the Canon 20D and want to set up an indoor studio. I plan on
getting the two softboxes w/strobes and a rear fill strobe. I know the
Canon 20D has the speedlite built in but my question is what does it
take to fire the remote studio strobes ? I recently noticed in another
studio using Olympus cameras they had some sort of trigger wireless
transmitter on the hot shoe. Any comments or suggestions would be
appreciated as this will be my first indoor studio. Thanks

Joey

Paul,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here ??

Joey