A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 1st 19, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 172
Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 12:19:26 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 31 January 2019 17:21:14 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 17:09:41 -0000, David B. "David wrote:

On 31/01/2019 14:47, Savageduck wrote:
Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 31 January 2019 09:49:57 UTC, David B. wrote:
How do you feel about this product?

https://www.clamxav.com/sectors/education/

Have you 'tested' it?


I remember when Mac users told me Macs couldn't get viruses....


You know all Mac users ?
I;ve had viruss on my Mac in the mid and late 80s under systemm 7.
But we no longer use system 7 or 8 or 9 now.
The viruses weren't very harmful either just a little annoying.
And there was a util called disinfectant that got rid of it, and it didn't need to be run as part of the OS so didn't cause any problems and was free.


You're confirming what I said, Mac users claimed nasty things didn't happen to Macs. But we all know why that's true. **** all people have macs so nobody bothers writing viruses for them!

David B. has been told many times in the Mac NGs that his obsession with AV
software for macOS has been overplayed, and has outlasted it welcome. In
rec.photo.digital this subject is undoubtedly OT, and if Dave B is not
sure, it means that it is OFF TOPIC and UNWANTED.


If you've killfiled David, why the **** are you still seeing his posts? You really need to work on your killfiling abilities.


It's because he replied via one of my post and not David B. post.
You relly should understand how kill files work.


I understand how mine works. It works properly. I never see anything underneath anyone I've killfiled. If your killfile can't delete replies to people you don't like, it's a piece of ****.

Macs are for people with more money than sense :-) Like BMWs.


Macs are also for people that prefer to get things done rather than worry about the hundrads of thousands of viruses that have been screwing up PCs for years.


I have never been affected by a virus. I just install AVG and forget about it.

With all your experience, Savageduck, can you answer this question posed
by my friend?

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/113284


I can't get in there, I need an Apple ID.


Me too, but not the hashtag


I don't speak teenager. WTF is a hashtag?
  #2  
Old February 1st 19, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

On 01/02/2019 19:46, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I don't speak teenager.* WTF is a hashtag?


You really ARE becoming out of touch! ;-)

"A hashtag is a type of metadata tag used on social networks such as
Twitter and other microblogging services, allowing users to apply
dynamic, user-generated tagging which makes it possible for others to
easily find messages with a specific theme or content."

Some of my Facebook friends now use them. Quite useful they are too!

--
David B.
  #3  
Old February 1st 19, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,538
Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:

I remember when Mac users told me Macs couldn't get viruses....


You know all Mac users ?
I;ve had viruss on my Mac in the mid and late 80s under systemm 7.
But we no longer use system 7 or 8 or 9 now.
The viruses weren't very harmful either just a little annoying.
And there was a util called disinfectant that got rid of it, and it didn't
need to be run as part of the OS so didn't cause any problems and was free.


You're confirming what I said, Mac users claimed nasty things didn't happen
to Macs.


in general, they don't because macs are significantly more secure by
design.

But we all know why that's true. **** all people have macs so
nobody bothers writing viruses for them!


nope. it's because it's extremely difficult to write mac malware and
even harder to do it well to where it would be effective at scale. a
proof of concept in a lab doesn't matter, except for linkbait
headlines.




I have never been affected by a virus. I just install AVG and forget about
it.


which means you're more at risk thinking that everything will be fine.

anti-malware utilities can only protect against known malware, not
future ones nor zero days, and pretending you're safe means you're
going to get compromised.

and then there's the exploits in the product itself, so there are
actually more potential vectors than there would be otherwise:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-5639/AVG.html
  #4  
Old February 1st 19, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 172
Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 19:56:28 -0000, David B. "David wrote:

On 01/02/2019 19:46, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I don't speak teenager. WTF is a hashtag?


You really ARE becoming out of touch! ;-)

"A hashtag is a type of metadata tag used on social networks such as
Twitter and other microblogging services, allowing users to apply
dynamic, user-generated tagging which makes it possible for others to
easily find messages with a specific theme or content."

Some of my Facebook friends now use them. Quite useful they are too!


Never found a use for them. So it's basically a **** version of a search engine? Why on earth would I want to find random messages by people I don't know?
  #5  
Old February 1st 19, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

On 01/02/2019 20:05, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 19:56:28 -0000, David B. "David
wrote:

On 01/02/2019 19:46, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I don't speak teenager.* WTF is a hashtag?


You really ARE becoming out of touch!* ;-)

"A hashtag is a type of metadata tag used on social networks such as
Twitter and other microblogging services, allowing users to apply
dynamic, user-generated tagging which makes it possible for others to
easily find messages with a specific theme or content."

Some of my Facebook friends now use them. Quite useful they are too!


Never found a use for them.* So it's basically a **** version of a
search engine?* Why on earth would I want to find random messages by
people I don't know?


If you'd like, I'll accept you into the Russell Newbery Engine Owners
group which I personally administer on Facebook and there I can show you
how an excellent lady poet and photographer uses them.

http://www.russellnewbery.com/

--
David B.
  #6  
Old February 1st 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 172
Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 20:24:44 -0000, David B. "David wrote:

On 01/02/2019 20:05, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 19:56:28 -0000, David B. "David
wrote:

On 01/02/2019 19:46, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I don't speak teenager. WTF is a hashtag?

You really ARE becoming out of touch! ;-)

"A hashtag is a type of metadata tag used on social networks such as
Twitter and other microblogging services, allowing users to apply
dynamic, user-generated tagging which makes it possible for others to
easily find messages with a specific theme or content."

Some of my Facebook friends now use them. Quite useful they are too!


Never found a use for them. So it's basically a **** version of a
search engine? Why on earth would I want to find random messages by
people I don't know?


If you'd like, I'll accept you into the Russell Newbery Engine Owners
group which I personally administer on Facebook and there I can show you
how an excellent lady poet and photographer uses them.

http://www.russellnewbery.com/


I'm afraid I know nothing about engines and wish cars would get into the current century and use electricity, then we could all service our own cars instead of paying cowboy garages. I'm lucky to have found one which will actually fit parts I supply myself. 35 (1 hour's labour) to fit a starter motor I supply.
  #7  
Old February 4th 19, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,538
Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

I remember when Mac users told me Macs couldn't get viruses....

You know all Mac users ?
I;ve had viruss on my Mac in the mid and late 80s under systemm 7.
But we no longer use system 7 or 8 or 9 now.
The viruses weren't very harmful either just a little annoying.
And there was a util called disinfectant that got rid of it, and it
didn't need to be run as part of the OS so didn't cause any problems and
was free.


You're confirming what I said, Mac users claimed nasty things didn't happen
to Macs. But we all know why that's true. **** all people have macs so
nobody bothers writing viruses for them!


So there's no virus's then so no problem.

According to the latest numbers from NetMarketShare, the Mac now accounts for
9.57 percent of all PCs currently in use. Windows is of course still number
one, with 88.77 percent of all usage. (Linux is in third, with 1.65
percent.)3 May 2016

So your '**** all' is quite high in numbers. So in theory 9.5% of viruses
should be Mac but there's no where near that many not even on ein the real
world currently.


netmarketshare is web usage share, not unit share, which is *much*
higher for mac and doesn't matter anyway since the numbers can be
whatever anyone wants them to be.

the reason there's very little mac malware is because writing it is far
more difficult than for windows, making the return on investment not
worthwhile. writing a mac virus is for all intents, not possible.

writing windows and android malware is comparatively easy, which is why
there's a lot of it. it's not a lot of effort to pwn a lot of systems.
  #8  
Old February 4th 19, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,538
Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

the reason there's very little mac malware is because writing it is far
more difficult than for windows, making the return on investment not
worthwhile. writing a mac virus is for all intents, not possible.


yes it is strange and in theory I'd expect more virus on a Mac as everyone
tells Mac users they are stupid because they spend more on a computer than
they need to so with lots of stupid people with money you'd expect them to be
targeted, but they don't.


they're definitely targeted, but as i said, it's *really* hard, if not
impossible.

windows and now android are much easier.
  #9  
Old February 8th 19, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 172
Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 10:50:42 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 1 February 2019 19:46:34 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 12:19:26 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 31 January 2019 17:21:14 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 17:09:41 -0000, David B. "David wrote:

On 31/01/2019 14:47, Savageduck wrote:
Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 31 January 2019 09:49:57 UTC, David B. wrote:
How do you feel about this product?

https://www.clamxav.com/sectors/education/

Have you 'tested' it?

I remember when Mac users told me Macs couldn't get viruses....

You know all Mac users ?
I;ve had viruss on my Mac in the mid and late 80s under systemm 7.
But we no longer use system 7 or 8 or 9 now.
The viruses weren't very harmful either just a little annoying.
And there was a util called disinfectant that got rid of it, and it didn't need to be run as part of the OS so didn't cause any problems and was free.


You're confirming what I said, Mac users claimed nasty things didn't happen to Macs. But we all know why that's true. **** all people have macs so nobody bothers writing viruses for them!


So there's no virus's then so no problem.


Mac users CLAIM there are no viruses. But there are, just less of them.

According to the latest numbers from NetMarketShare, the Mac now accounts for 9.57 percent of all PCs currently in use. Windows is of course still number one, with 88.77 percent of all usage. (Linux is in third, with 1.65 percent.)3 May 2016

So your '**** all' is quite high in numbers.


It's very low indeed, a ninth of Windows users in fact. Just the weird ones that buy shiny computers instead of functional ones.

So in theory 9.5% of viruses should be Mac but there's no where near that many not even on ein the real world currently.


Erroneous calculation. If you were a criminal like Diesel and wanted to write a nasty virus, you'd do it for maximum impact, you'd write a Windows virus. Almost every virus writer will do the same.

It's because he replied via one of my post and not David B. post.
You relly should understand how kill files work.


I understand how mine works. It works properly.


No it doesn't.

I never see anything underneath anyone I've killfiled. If your killfile can't delete replies to people you don't like, it's a piece of ****.


That's not how kill files work.


It's how mine works, and it's 10 times better. Lets say you fall out with Mr Smith. You killfile him so you don't see his boring posts. But you see every single bloody reply to him, which continues to annoy you. Meanwhile I never see anything written by Mr Smith ever again.

Macs are for people with more money than sense :-) Like BMWs.

Macs are also for people that prefer to get things done rather than worry about the hundrads of thousands of viruses that have been screwing up PCs for years.


I have never been affected by a virus. I just install AVG and forget about it.


But you still need to install it and have it running why.
I have 3 macs running without any virus protection because they don't need it.


How is "having it running" a problem? Like I said, I just install it ONCE.
  #10  
Old February 9th 19, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,538
Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:

You know all Mac users ?
I;ve had viruss on my Mac in the mid and late 80s under systemm 7.
But we no longer use system 7 or 8 or 9 now.
The viruses weren't very harmful either just a little annoying.
And there was a util called disinfectant that got rid of it, and it
didn't need to be run as part of the OS so didn't cause any problems and
was free.

You're confirming what I said, Mac users claimed nasty things didn't
happen to Macs. But we all know why that's true. **** all people have
macs so nobody bothers writing viruses for them!


So there's no virus's then so no problem.


Mac users CLAIM there are no viruses. But there are, just less of them.


nope. there are not, although there is other mac malware, almost all of
which is manually installed by tricking the user (not viral) and which
also has no relevance to the underlying os.

According to the latest numbers from NetMarketShare, the Mac now accounts
for 9.57 percent of all PCs currently in use. Windows is of course still
number one, with 88.77 percent of all usage. (Linux is in third, with 1.65
percent.)3 May 2016

So your '**** all' is quite high in numbers.


It's very low indeed, a ninth of Windows users in fact.


not on the desktop. a large number of windows systems are turnkey
systems, such as traffic lights, airport flight boards, medical
equipment, etc.

Just the weird ones
that buy shiny computers instead of functional ones.


nonsense. macs are more functional and can run more software than
windows pcs, and with a *much* longer useful life too.

So in theory 9.5% of viruses should be Mac but there's no where near that
many not even on ein the real world currently.


Erroneous calculation. If you were a criminal like Diesel and wanted to
write a nasty virus, you'd do it for maximum impact, you'd write a Windows
virus. Almost every virus writer will do the same.


except that very few mac users use antivirus tools making the potential
target much higher, plus the instant fame by being first to do so.

the reason there's no mac viruses is that writing one is for all
intents, not possible. other types of mac malware is possible, but it's
significantly more difficult to write for a wide variety of reasons,
making the return on investment not worthwhile.

windows and now android malware is *much* easier, resulting in a much
higher bang for the buck.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ping: WHISKY-DAVE David B. Digital Photography 15 April 17th 17 03:00 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.