Windows 10. Horrible!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 2nd 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Windows 10. Horrible!

"Whisky-dave" wrote

| The latest version of Windows
| is far less safe than careful use of an old version.
|
| Not true, as was seen with wannacry .

I just explained all that in great detail above. Did
you miss that? Here's a more technical explanation:

https://www.csoonline.com/article/32...sponsible.html

Long story short, WannaCry was just a single bug
that happened to be patched in Win10. But the
way it attacked was through SMB -- networking
functionality. For anyone not on a corporate network
it doesn't need to be a risk at all.

It still comes back to the same thing: As long
as you allow remote software to run code on your
machine, there's no possiblity of security. The
only question is when and how you'll be compromised.

| Then outside
| hackers hack into the NSA and make them public.
| Federal tax dollars are funding the likes of WannaCry.
|
| where did you get that info from ?

Read the link above. Where have you been?
This has been a scandal for awhile now. The
NSA is developing this stuff and then it's getting
stolen from them.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...-to-microsoft/

https://techprolonged.com/2017/03/wi...phone-android/

https://techprolonged.com/2017/05/wa...dows-exploits/

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...brokers_r.html

If you really want to know about this then why not research
it yourself rather than just challenging me?

| There's a lot of money
| involved. At some point it may be that *all*
| money is involved.
|
| I doubt that.

Personally I still mail checks and walk to the bank,
but I know a lot of people who do nearly everything
electronically. Direct deposit, automatic withdrawal,
credit cards and debit cards to buy food and other
necessities. That's all going over computer networks
and being stored in online databases. Gas pump,
ATM and supermarket checkout skimmers, malware
installed through online ads.... That's high-level,
professional stuff because there's a lot of money
to be made. It's a far cry from the teenage prank
malware of the 90s.

| (Nospam thinks he's going to
| be safe by letting Apple or Google handle his
| finances.)
|
| far safer than letting XP handle it.

Good luck with that. Your attitude is exactly
what the crooks (and the companies that want
to sell you a "wallet") want you to think.

| want to buy stuff online, do our banking, adjust
| our home thermometer.... The "Internet of Things"
| is becoming a new,
|
| I know there's a course on the subject running outside my office.
| It's not realyl a computer thing it about embeded devices rather than the
computer and its OS.

Not really a computer thing?! IoT is about Internet-
connected devices. Computer devices. Networked devices.
Using internal computers. Your iPhone talks to your front
door lock. Your car keys talk to your car. Once you've
done that, it can be hacked. Those have been hacked.
As more and more things become unnecessarily automated
and computerized, it becomes increasingly easy to break
things. World War 3 might just start with a cyberattack
that causes all driverless cars to accelerate uncontrollably,
killing millions in seconds and leaving the national infrastructure
unusable. And why? It's all such unnecessary idiocy.

| Why
| are they hackable? Because people think it's
| clever to unlock your house from your cellphone.
|
| Most don't do that as yet.

Yes. *Most* don't do *that* yet. So you can
probably go back to sleep. Sorry to wake you.
But check This Old house sometime. They're installing
them. They think they're clever.