Need new camera (advice) after breaking Oly 3040

Old October 12th 04, 11:37 PM
AusDigi

Default Need new camera (advice) after breaking Oly 3040

Thanks but that has insufficient zoom, I'm looking at at least 6x (optical
of course).

"GT40" wrote in message
Not sure if this matches your list, but look at the (US Model number)
Canon PowerShot S60

Old October 12th 04, 11:44 PM
AusDigi

Thanks Larry, lots of useful info. I like the 5400's macro (.4"/1cm) and the
5700's zoom.

"Larry R Harrison Jr" wrote in message
There are a LOT of good cameras so check out dpreview.com for
recommendations.

That said, you mentioned macros a lot, and Nikons have always been
exceptional in macro. Two that stand out: the Coolpix 5400 and 5700. Both
have been upgraded to 8 megapixel models but are still--so far
anyway--non-discontinued, and you can get them on eBay for $400-500. The
former gets as close as 0.4 inches, the latter I can't remember but it's
very close (and I **think** it has less wide-angle distortion, but can't

say
for sure). Both are 5 megapixels, have all the manual options you'll need
(including a hot shoe for a full-sized flash), a swivel LCD, ability to
shoot in RAW (you'll need the firmware upgrade for the 5400 to do this),

and
good durable construction.

You may lean towards the 5700 because it has a lot of zoom--8x in fact

(all
optical), reaching as far as 280mm (35mm equivalent). The 5400 only goes

116mm (35mm equivalent), but zooms OUT further--28mm vs 35mm for the 5700.
Both use Compact Flash memory, and will work with the Type II Compact

Flash
as well, including Microdrive (less necessary these days). The 5700 can

use
6 AAs to power it if you buy the battery pack; otherwise they use a

battery
similar to the 2CR5 lithiums you can buy in the store (which in fact will
fit & power both cameras).

I purchased my 5700 last May--when the 8700 (its successor) had JUST come
out--for right at $475, it may well be less than that now. I just

purchased
a 5400 (haven't got it yet) with 2 spare batteries for $390. The former

cost
like $800 last year, the latter right at $700 last year, so those are HUGH
price cuts.

The only issue I have is that the 5700 can have some trouble focusing in
low-light, I think the 5400 has that as well. But unless you take your
macros at night-time, that shouldn't matter. (If it does, consider the

Sony
DSC-F717--5 megapixels, manual-options, 35mm-190mm zoom, cost right at

$400;
it has fewer "image processing" overrides, though, and I don't think its
macro is as good.)

Old October 13th 04, 03:06 PM
QuienEs

Just a thought, I was given a "dropped" C3040Z by an owner who had
similar thoughts. I contacted Oly here in the US and was pleasently
surprised - they would fix anything for a flat fee as long as the
camera had not been submerged and as long as it was complete.

I sent it in, got it back quickly with a 90-day warranty, the cost was
US$179.00 and I have been using it happily for over a year.

Maybe similar applies in .AU

Cheers, QE in NJ
==============================

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:48:19 +1000, "AusDigi" wrote:

|I broke my Olympus C3040Z last week and am researching new cameras.
|
|The 3040 had 3MPix, 3x zoom & macro to 20cm.
|
|I take mainly photos of flora and fauna so close macro is important
for
|flowers and decent zoom for animals. [Why is it hard to find a digi
still
|cam with decent zoom - like video cams ]
|
|Prefer CF memory as its cheapest but then again I would probably only
get a
|256MB card and take a laptop with me on vacations.
|
|Prefer AA batteries as I already have 8 NiMH's (and recharger)
sitting here
|doing nothing.
|
|More than 3MPix (but looks like any decent camera has more these
days).

|I don't really care about movie mode - its mostly a gimmick for still
|cameras anyway (granted, some are now delivering decent 640x480
unlimited
|recording). The movie mode for my Oly was very poor.
|
|I like the manual mode so control over exposure, white balance, etc.
would

Old October 13th 04, 03:06 PM
QuienEs

Old October 13th 04, 09:47 PM
Paul W. Ross

I have an Olympus C-5000. Uses xD cards, and has a Li Ion battery. GREAT camera.
Old October 13th 04, 09:47 PM
Paul W. Ross

I have an Olympus C-5000. Uses xD cards, and has a Li Ion battery. GREAT camera.
Old October 14th 04, 10:48 AM
AusDigi

"QuienEs" wrote in message
Just a thought, I was given a "dropped" C3040Z by an owner who had
similar thoughts. I contacted Oly here in the US and was pleasently
surprised - they would fix anything for a flat fee as long as the
camera had not been submerged and as long as it was complete.

I sent it in, got it back quickly with a 90-day warranty, the cost was
US$179.00 and I have been using it happily for over a year.

Thanks, maybe its similar here but for that price you can get better about
the same specs new.

Old October 14th 04, 04:05 PM
Andre

I just bought a Minolta Dimage 7i for 450 euro's a few eeks ago. I love
it... although 'only' 5mp the quality of the images is very good and the
large 7 optical zoom gets you close to what you want to grab.

André
http://www.windowseat.nl

"Paul W. Ross" schreef in bericht
om...