This is relevant - "Why solid-state disks are winning the argument".

Old November 27th 14, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default This is relevant - "Why solid-state disks are winning the argument".

On 2014-11-27 13:51:14 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Wednesday, 26 November 2014 16:59:48 UTC, nospam wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Maybe he's not the only one, I had a similar situation.
I have 2 ipad3s under my Apple ID.
I wanted to give one to my brother so he could set up his own ID.
I tried doing this remotely by erasing the iPad but on reading up on it
It would be 90 days before it can be allocated to a new users if I did
remotely erase via find my iPhone.
Apparenly a 'new' security feature.
So I did it 'hands-on' in order to delete my Apple ID from the ipad I had
type in my Apple ID to delete myself as the user.

remote wipe is not how you do it.

IS not how you do what ?

did you forget what you were asking??

No I wanted to delete myself as the user NOT wipe the ipad.

The Idea is to give your brother a clean, wiped, as new iPad on which
he can use his existing Apple ID, or create a new one.

If you were going to give it to your brother and maintain the apps you
had bought/installed in addition to the iOS default set, you have no
option but to give it to him using your Apple ID. You don't have to
give him your password. However, if he wants to buy and install new
apps, he is going to have to establish his own Apple ID, either via a
computer or use one he has already established on, say an iPhone.
Unless you give him your password which opens up your registered credit
card to potential abuse.

Needless to say you can't have it both ways, and your intent is
fraudulent. You are better off giving it to him wiped, and let him do
his own thing.

Savageduck

Old November 27th 14, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Whisky-dave wrote:

Maybe he's not the only one, I had a similar situation.
I have 2 ipad3s under my Apple ID.
I wanted to give one to my brother so he could set up his own ID.
I tried doing this remotely by erasing the iPad but on reading up on it
It would be 90 days before it can be allocated to a new users if I did
remotely erase via find my iPhone.
Apparenly a 'new' security feature.
So I did it 'hands-on' in order to delete my Apple ID from the ipad I had
type in my Apple ID to delete myself as the user.

remote wipe is not how you do it.

IS not how you do what ?

did you forget what you were asking??

No I wanted to delete myself as the user NOT wipe the ipad.

The Idea is to give your brother a clean, wiped, as new iPad on which
he can use his existing Apple ID, or create a new one.

The idea was to give my brother the ipad.

Good. You have done that. You should have given it to him as a new
device and let him deal with whatever he needs to do to make it
functional for him, including create his own Apple ID. Unless it is
your intent to give him a 100% free ride.

If you were going to give it to your brother and maintain the apps you
had bought/installed in addition to the iOS default set, you have no
option but to give it to him using your Apple ID.

Yes I know which was the previous situation. Which I wanted to change.

Yup! Good plan.

You don't have to
give him your password. However, if he wants to buy and install new
apps, he is going to have to establish his own Apple ID, either via a
computer or use one he has already established on, say an iPhone.

Which he didn't have he didn't have ANY network connection.

....and that is a completely different issue which he needs to solve for
himself, unless you are going to sponsor him in some way.

Unless you give him your password which opens up your registered credit
card to potential abuse.

Which is the reason why I didn't as I don't want to go that route.

Needless to say you can't have it both ways,

Well Inmwas going to investigate the family option or whatever they
call it on ios8

Do that and he will have access to your wallet.

and your intent is
fraudulent.

No it isn't.
he hadn;t purchased a single app and what I'd purchased he didn;t even want.
I'd already deleted them anyway.

....but he still got your iPad with your Apple ID, not his.

His only use for the ipad was email and soccer games. Yes he went to
the local library for free wifi. He had loads of fotty games which I've
NO interest in but they were all in my itunes lbrary as I'd downloaded
them in my name so he could try them out.

How was he going to use it for email? An iCloud account, Gmail, Yahoo,
or some ISP? He is going to have to set that up.

He shouldn't have access to your iTunes library. He should have his
own, and he can download his own copies of whatever free games he
wants, but for that he will need his own Apple ID and some sort of
internet/network connection.

You are better off giving it to him wiped, and let him do
his own thing.

where is this option to WIPE the ipad.
Of course maybe you meaqnt earse setting and delete myself as a user
which is what I did. To delete myself as a user I had to enter my aplpe
ID AND password (not just the passcode)

Exactly!
Go to Settings-General, scroll to the bottom and select "Reset".
Erase All Content and Settings, then set up the iPad as if it were new
with a new owner. As to you brother having access to the
internet/network with either WiFi or cellular data, that is your
brother's problem, not yours.

My original plan was not to 'wipe' safari or any of the apps that come
with the ipad or the free ones he'd downloaded. It wasnt wiped when I
brought it from the store, so why should I need to wipe it ?

You didn't get a new, fresh, sealed in the box iPad from the store?
I am sure that you had to set up the new iPad using your Apple ID, or
you had to create a new Apple ID to get it up and running.

Safari, Mail, Camera, App Store, Apple Maps, iMessage, Calendar, Notes,
Facetime, etc. are part of the iOS default set. You can't "wipe" or
delete them even if you wanted to. If he downloaded free apps he had to
have an Apple ID or access to an Apple ID. the iTunes App store, or the
iOS App Store won't let him download and install free apps without that
Apple ID. Updates are a different issue.

What you are wiping are any apps you bought, or installed subsequent
to, or as a result of your ownership. You are also wiping any of your
data, personal or otherwise such as photos, which you might have
generated on that iPad.

Savageduck

Old November 27th 14, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't expect the password to be stored and authenticated in
individual devices. That way the device would not need to be connected
to the cloud and could still authenticate an old password even after
the password had been changed in all other devices via the cloud. My
expectation and observation is that password authentication *must* be
done via the cloud. No connection to the cloud - no authentication.

obviously, since your appleid password is for accessing icloud or the
itunes store, both of which require internet access of some kind.
Old November 27th 14, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Maybe he's not the only one, I had a similar situation.
I have 2 ipad3s under my Apple ID.
I wanted to give one to my brother so he could set up his own ID.
I tried doing this remotely by erasing the iPad but on reading up on
it
It would be 90 days before it can be allocated to a new users if I did
remotely erase via find my iPhone.
Apparenly a 'new' security feature.
So I did it 'hands-on' in order to delete my Apple ID from the ipad I
had to type in my Apple ID to delete myself as the user.

remote wipe is not how you do it.

IS not how you do what ?

did you forget what you were asking??

No I wanted to delete myself as the user NOT wipe the ipad.

there is no concept of users on an ipad. it's a single user device.

to give it to another person, you need remove *your* stuff so that the
new owner can load *their* stuff. that's done with either and erase
contents and settings a restore.

here it is again:
I wanted to give one to my brother so he could set up his own ID.

Yep.

which is what i said.

all your brother needed to do was restore it which will then go through
the initial setup process, where he then gives his apple id.

he hadn't an apple ID how can you restore to a non user ?

he has the option to create one instead of supply one.

he couldn't create one, how can you create one on an ipad3 that already has a
user account ?

erase contents and settings or do a restore via itunes, and the ipad
will go through the setup process, where it asks for an apple id or
offers the option to create a new one, which is what i said above.

and he didn;t have a computer connected to the web his PC was running XP.

so what?

How do you restore without a backup to restore from ?

restore means load a stock firmware. once that is complete, it will
then ask if you want to set up the device as a new device or from a
previous backup. since this is for a new owner, you want set up as a
new device.

you could also do an erase contents & settings, which skips needing to
restore.

What would that have achieved ?

fewer steps.

But wouldn't do what I wanted, so not much use.

it would do that.

Wasn't expecting this minor hassle so maybe it changed in 8.0 or 8.1

it hasn't changed.

Don't believe you.

ask apple if you don't believe me.

yes it's on the apple site.

it is, and it agrees with what i said.
Old November 27th 14, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 14:22:54 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't expect the password to be stored and authenticated in
individual devices. That way the device would not need to be connected
to the cloud and could still authenticate an old password even after
the password had been changed in all other devices via the cloud. My
expectation and observation is that password authentication *must* be
done via the cloud. No connection to the cloud - no authentication.

obviously, since your appleid password is for accessing icloud or the
itunes store, both of which require internet access of some kind.

It's also used to control access to a number of internal functions
within the iPad.

Eric Stevens

Old November 28th 14, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rikishi42

On 2014-11-24, nospam wrote:
In article , Rikishi42
wrote:

I had Win8 and was so happy with it, that I downgraded to Win7.

You could have had all the benefits of Windows-8 and the user interface
of Windows-7 by installing Classic Shell. Best of both worlds.

Benefits of Win8 ???

What benefits or those?
Seriously, I'd like to find out.

internally there are a lot of improvements.

the problem people have with win 8 is mainly with the user interface.

We manage about 3500 PC's here. I can assure you that it's not just the
interface. People having trouble with a new interface is a classic.

That'swhat we have courses for. But there have been a number of problems.
And strangely enough, mostly with interaction between Windows and a few
heavy MS applications, such as Office, Lync, etc...

--
When in doubt, use brute force.
-- Ken Thompson
Old November 28th 14, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rikishi42

On 2014-11-24, nospam wrote:
the point is that you can't boot a computer over the network. you have
to sleep it for it to be wakeable. when it's off, you have to toggle
the power button.

No you don't.

I ALLWAYS make a complete shutdown of my server. That doesn't keep me from
booting it over the network. WakeOnLAN is the equivalent of pushing the power
button.

It even works without an OS and even without a HD, actually.
Of course, in those 2 cases the machine would start but not have anything to
boot on. Just like when you use the power button in those situations.

Old November 28th 14, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Rikishi42
wrote:

the point is that you can't boot a computer over the network. you have
to sleep it for it to be wakeable. when it's off, you have to toggle
the power button.

No you don't.

I ALLWAYS make a complete shutdown of my server. That doesn't keep me from
booting it over the network. WakeOnLAN is the equivalent of pushing the power
button.

not in all cases. yours might do that but it doesn't mean all systems
will.

macs, for example, will not wake from off. they will only wake from
sleep. anything with a physical toggle (instead of a soft switch) can't
boot remotely. there may be other systems that can't.

any claim that all computers can boot from a power off with a wake on
lan packet is *false*. period.

It even works without an OS and even without a HD, actually.
Of course, in those 2 cases the machine would start but not have anything to
boot on. Just like when you use the power button in those situations.

which is both hardware dependent and completely useless.
Old November 28th 14, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:39:31 -0500, nospam