This is relevant - "Why solid-state disks are winning the argument".

Old November 25th 14, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default This is relevant - "Why solid-state disks are winning the argument".

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:56:54 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Here is an example. I have the old .ipsw file in my backup software
(one of the one which slows down the start and I have found a way
to possibly install it - if only I can turn off the 'Where is my iPad'
function in the iPad.

you can't downgrade the system version.

I probably can't

you definitely can't go back.

Apparently you could in the first week after the new OS was released.

but at that stage it seemed to be worth a try.

it isn't.

I will never know.

Eric Stevens
Old November 25th 14, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

an ipad does not check for an apple id password unless you are
downloading an app or using an app that accesses icloud.

You are in for a surprise. Mine asked for a password before it would
do a factory reset. I encountered requests for a password under
several other similar circumstances.

it asked for a device passcode. it did not ask for your appleid
password.

you are thoroughly confused as to which is which.

if you change the apple id password on apple's web site, you'll get an
error on the ipad until you change the password there, since it would
be using the old and now no longer valid password.

I've never had that problem. It either knows the new password or says
it can't contact iCloud.

it doesn't know the new password unless you tell it.

there is absolutely no way that information can be sent to a device and
it would be a huge, huge security hole if it did.

there may be situations in which it does not ask, such as updating apps
(in most cases), but that doesn't mean it knows the new password.
Old November 25th 14, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Here is an example. I have the old .ipsw file in my backup software
(one of the one which slows down the start and I have found a way
to possibly install it - if only I can turn off the 'Where is my iPad'
function in the iPad.

you can't downgrade the system version.

I probably can't

you definitely can't go back.

Apparently you could in the first week after the new OS was released.

so what? you're moving the goalposts. this is about now, not 2 months
ago when ios 8 was released. you can't go back.

there is a window where the new os and previous overlap. generally it's
a day or two, but with ios 8 it was a week for some reason. there is no
guarantee as to how long it will be.

none of that matters since the window for ios 7 (and 8.0.*) has long
been closed and absent a change of policy, there is *no* going back.
period.

even if the window was still open, there's more to it than just
restoring an older version.
Old November 25th 14, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Pablo
wrote:

the point is that you can't boot a computer over the network. you have
to sleep it for it to be wakeable. when it's off, you have to toggle
the power button.

No. The WOL enabled lan card powers it up.

not necessarily.

Why do you do this?

You said one can't start a computer over the internet unless it's "asleep".

I say that yes you can if it has a WOL lan card (and obviously the BIOS has
to support it). That's what "wake on lan" is.

the you would be wrong.

there are computers where a wake on lan will only wake a sleeping
computer and not cause a full power on, which is why i said not
necessarily.

Why do you find it necessary to argue with every single statement made by
just about anybody?

i'm not arguing. your statement is false.

This "you can't boot a computer over the network" is blatantly wrong. Live
with it. Of course it has to be enabled, but you can't wake a "sleeping"
computer if somebody has pulled the plug out of the wall or removed the
battery.

it's not a question of enabling, which is obvious.

some computers, for example, have a physical power switch and a wake on
lan packet is not going to toggle that switch. other computers may have
a logic board that only supports wake from sleep, and if it's off, it's
not going to power-on. another possibility is a boot firmware password,
requiring someone to physically be there to type it in.

you are incorrectly assuming all computers can boot from a wake on lan
packet. that's a bad and incorrect assumption.
Old November 25th 14, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:33:06 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

See http://tinyurl.com/n7e8cl5 or
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ios...ios-8-3522302/
and look under "If you've got iOS 8 and want to go right back to iOS
7, you can do so too. Read on to find out how".

I accept that it may not work at this late date, but it was at least
worth a try.

Eric Stevens
Old November 25th 14, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

you definitely can't go back.

Apparently you could in the first week after the new OS was released.

so what? you're moving the goalposts. this is about now, not 2 months
ago when ios 8 was released. you can't go back.

there is a window where the new os and previous overlap. generally it's
a day or two, but with ios 8 it was a week for some reason. there is no
guarantee as to how long it will be.

none of that matters since the window for ios 7 (and 8.0.*) has long
been closed and absent a change of policy, there is *no* going back.
period.

even if the window was still open, there's more to it than just
restoring an older version.

See http://tinyurl.com/n7e8cl5 or

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ios...8-ios-7-reinst
all-ios-8-3522302/
and look under "If you've got iOS 8 and want to go right back to iOS
7, you can do so too. Read on to find out how".

what part of the window has been closed is not clear?

did you not see the *very* *first* *sentence* in *your* link:

UPDATE, 29th September: Apple has now stopped 'signing' or
authorising iOS 7. This means the method of downgrading from iOS 8
back to iOS 7 listed below no longer works.

I accept that it may not work at this late date, but it was at least
worth a try.

2 months ago it might have been (although unlikely), but it's not worth
a try now because you can no longer complete the downgrade.
Old November 26th 14, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:53:34 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Of course I did.

UPDATE, 29th September: Apple has now stopped 'signing' or
authorising iOS 7. This means the method of downgrading from iOS 8
back to iOS 7 listed below no longer works.

I accept that it may not work at this late date, but it was at least
worth a try.

2 months ago it might have been (although unlikely), but it's not worth
a try now because you can no longer complete the downgrade.

As I said, I didn't know that for certain, but I thought it was worth
a try. After all, what had I to loose?

Eric Stevens
Old November 26th 14, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

you definitely can't go back.

Apparently you could in the first week after the new OS was released.

so what? you're moving the goalposts. this is about now, not 2 months
ago when ios 8 was released. you can't go back.

there is a window where the new os and previous overlap. generally it's
a day or two, but with ios 8 it was a week for some reason. there is no
guarantee as to how long it will be.

none of that matters since the window for ios 7 (and 8.0.*) has long
been closed and absent a change of policy, there is *no* going back.
period.

even if the window was still open, there's more to it than just
restoring an older version.

See http://tinyurl.com/n7e8cl5 or

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ios...os-8-ios-7-rei
nst
all-ios-8-3522302/
and look under "If you've got iOS 8 and want to go right back to iOS
7, you can do so too. Read on to find out how".

what part of the window has been closed is not clear?

did you not see the *very* *first* *sentence* in *your* link:

Of course I did.

then why did you post the link? i said it wasn't going to work anymore
and the link agrees with everything i said.

UPDATE, 29th September: Apple has now stopped 'signing' or
authorising iOS 7. This means the method of downgrading from iOS 8
back to iOS 7 listed below no longer works.

I accept that it may not work at this late date, but it was at least
worth a try.

2 months ago it might have been (although unlikely), but it's not worth
a try now because you can no longer complete the downgrade.

As I said, I didn't know that for certain, but I thought it was worth
a try. After all, what had I to loose?

time, since it wasn't going to work.

depending on how much stuff is on your ipad, a complete restore could
potentially be a long time. copying 128 gig of stuff back takes quite a
while.
Old November 26th 14, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 21:27:58 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I posted the link in response to one of your comments.

The latest release 8.1.1 (not the beta) was issued on Nov 17. At the
time I tried, there was still a slim chance I could sneak in with a
reversion. In any case, no harm would be done by trying, unless you
count getting bogged down in an endless discussion with you.

UPDATE, 29th September: Apple has now stopped 'signing' or
authorising iOS 7. This means the method of downgrading from iOS 8
back to iOS 7 listed below no longer works.

I accept that it may not work at this late date, but it was at least
worth a try.

2 months ago it might have been (although unlikely), but it's not worth
a try now because you can no longer complete the downgrade.

As I said, I didn't know that for certain, but I thought it was worth
a try. After all, what had I to loose?

time, since it wasn't going to work.

depending on how much stuff is on your ipad, a complete restore could
potentially be a long time. copying 128 gig of stuff back takes quite a
while.

Don't forget, I have already done that. It took just over an hour.

Eric Stevens
Old November 26th 14, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

what part of the window has been closed is not clear?

did you not see the *very* *first* *sentence* in *your* link:

Of course I did.

then why did you post the link? i said it wasn't going to work anymore
and the link agrees with everything i said.

I posted the link in response to one of your comments.

The latest release 8.1.1 (not the beta) was issued on Nov 17. At the
time I tried, there was still a slim chance I could sneak in with a
reversion. In any case, no harm would be done by trying, unless you
count getting bogged down in an endless discussion with you.

you might be able to go back to 8.1, which i think is still being
signed for some reason, but there's no advantage over 8.1.1 since it
fixes minor bugs.

for 8.0.2 and earlier, no. the window has closed.

depending on how much stuff is on your ipad, a complete restore could
potentially be a long time. copying 128 gig of stuff back takes quite a
while.

Don't forget, I have already done that. It took just over an hour.

then you don't have much on it.