Rodinal help for new user

Old May 20th 04, 01:28 PM
DG

Default Rodinal help for new user

I want to use Rodinal for my first experience in a darkroom

my question:
How must use Rodinal 1.25 for 300 ml water ??

300 ml water + 12 ml Rodinal OR
288 ml water + 12 ml Rodinal ??????

Tank

Giuseppe - Italia

Old May 20th 04, 01:36 PM
Nick Zentena

DG wrote:
I want to use Rodinal for my first experience in a darkroom

my question:
How must use Rodinal 1.25 for 300 ml water ??

300 ml water + 12 ml Rodinal OR
288 ml water + 12 ml Rodinal ??????

Tank

Giuseppe - Italia

Add the two numbers together. 1+25 equals 26. Divide 300/26 and that
equals the amount of Rodinal. 11.5ml. So use 12ml and 288ml of water.

Nick
Old May 20th 04, 05:46 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 5/20/2004 5:36 AM Nick Zentena spake thus:

DG wrote:

I want to use Rodinal for my first experience in a darkroom

my question:
How must use Rodinal 1.25 for 300 ml water ??

300 ml water + 12 ml Rodinal OR
288 ml water + 12 ml Rodinal ??????

Add the two numbers together. 1+25 equals 26. Divide 300/26 and that
equals the amount of Rodinal. 11.5ml. So use 12ml and 288ml of water.

Not that it even makes that much difference; I wouldn't lose any sleep over
this measurement. Black & white processing at this level is pretty damn forgiving.

--
I was quickly apprised that an "RSS feed" was not, as I had naively
imagined, some new and unspeakable form of sexual debauchery practised

- Cynical shop talk from comp.publish.prepress

Old May 20th 04, 06:05 PM
Nick Zentena

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Not that it even makes that much difference; I wouldn't lose any sleep over
this measurement. Black & white processing at this level is pretty damn forgiving.

True it won't matter here. Even if it did just doing it the same away
every time would be good enough. But knowing the "right" way to handle
dilutions might matter with some other items.

Nick
Old May 20th 04, 07:23 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"DG" wrote in message .. .
I want to use Rodinal for my first experience in a darkroom

WHY? It's not all that good a developer.

Old May 21st 04, 03:09 AM
Donald Qualls

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

"DG" wrote in message .. .

I want to use Rodinal for my first experience in a darkroom

WHY? It's not all that good a developer.

Why? It's inexpensive, internationally avaialable, the concentrate will
literally keep for years, it produces results some people find visually
appealing, it works with a wide variety of films and can be used at a
broad range of dilutions for different effects. In medium format,
you're unlikely to notice the grain, though it can be distracting with
fast film in 35 mm.

Sounds like a fine beginner's developer to me.

Heck, I used Dektol for the first roll of film I developed at home (in
about 1970). With contact prints from 620, who could tell?

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old May 21st 04, 04:30 PM
moda

It can be distracting with fast film in 35 mm.

Yeah. I use it mainly for sub 200 ISO. and HC-110 and T-Max-developer for
400+ development.
A 50 ISO film (e.g. Ilford Pan-F+) in Rodinal 1+50 is a joy! And other
slower films are also very nice in
Rodinal 1+50. My absolute favourite.

Sounds like a fine beginner's developer to me.

The best and the cheapest. My first developer. Easy to mix and very
versatile.

Old May 21st 04, 04:37 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Donald Qualls wrote in message news:Nxdrc.88327$iF6.7594986@attbi_s02...
Michael Scarpitti wrote:

"DG" wrote in message .. .

I want to use Rodinal for my first experience in a darkroom

WHY? It's not all that good a developer.

Why? It's inexpensive, internationally avaialable, the concentrate will
literally keep for years, it produces results some people find visually
appealing,

Not me. It's way too grainy!

it works with a wide variety of films and can be used at a
broad range of dilutions for different effects. In medium format,
you're unlikely to notice the grain, though it can be distracting with
fast film in 35 mm.

PRECISELY!

Old May 26th 04, 11:26 AM
Al Doyle