Apple image processing software for new user with Nikon D5200

Old August 3rd 16, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

Default Apple image processing software for new user with Nikon D5200

On 8/3/2016 12:03 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

How about Photoshop Elements?
There is nothing wrong with PSE. However, best street prices run
$65-$85, and in that case I would go for Lightroom 6 (standalone). I
didn't mention Lightroom as Eric had already excluded it, though it
has the best catalog/asset management system, along with simple and
intuitive editing/adjustment, and great tutorial support.

For a Mac user the best and most cost efficient options are Pixelmator
@ $30 and Affinity Photo @ $50. Both support a RAW and layered
workflow, and are fully featured, and ridiculously powerful with no
subscription model. Affinity Photo can also take advatage of PS
plug-ins. Both are available from the Apple AppStore, and both do a
better job than PSE.

As most folks here know I have a Lightroom CC/PS CC workflow, but that
did not stop me in my search for alternatives, and I have bought,
installed and occasionally use both Pixelmator and Affinity Photo and
highly recommend either.

I'm interested in Affinity Photo myself. The Windows version is in
development.

if you had a mac, you could have been using it already.

Next year.

Old August 3rd 16, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/2/2016 10:31 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
My youngest daughter has just announced she is going to enter the more
serious part of the world of photography with the purchase of a Nikon
D5200. Up to now her photography has been confined to point and shoot,
and iPhones.

She is very bright, artistically inclined and can cope well with
technical problems when she puts her mind to it. Her house is filled
(?) with Apple laptop computers of one kind or another. All she needs
is to be pointed in the right direction and she will away.

She has no knowledge of image processing software and I have no
knowledge of what comes with Apples or can be bought for Apples. Does
she need to buy anything or should something suitable be already
installed on her computers? If she is best advised to buy anything,
what would be suitable starter software? I don't think she should
launch straight into Lightroom or the like.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Nikon Capture, is a decent program, replicates the camera settings with
reasonable accuracy, has tutorials, is intuitive, and is free. If used
in connection with Nikon View, also free, can help spot shooting errors.

--
PeterN
Old August 4th 16, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 8/4/2016 8:30 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 3 August 2016 17:03:30 UTC+1, nospam wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

Probbably not the right place but...

On UK TV I've twice seen an ad for the new surface pro 4.
The women using it seems to be using photoshop then does something and says I can't do this on my Mac, am not sure what she's doing or what she means perhaps or whether it's true or because she has an old mac, I should record it.

I think it's using a pen like in this ad
http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/09/micros...nt-do-that-ad/

Old August 4th 16, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 8/2/2016 10:40 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2016-08-03 02:31:20 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

I would avoid the Apple proprietary "Photos" and either go for
Pixelmator or Affinity Photo. Both are well supported with tutorials
and the like.
http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

[...]

The Affinity Photo workspace is very much like Photoshop, but with a
few quirks.
One of the things one has to get used to in Pixelmator and Affinity
Photo RAW processing is their use of their own proprietary
non-destructive format. So if you want to produce a JPEG, TIF, PNG, or
PSD you have to use their export dialog rather than a "Save As".
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_212.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_213.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_214.jpg

Here is an idea of how the Affinity Photo RAW "Develop" modual looks.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_215.jpg

Savageduck

Old August 6th 16, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , J.
Clarke wrote:

On UK TV I've twice seen an ad for the new surface pro 4.
The women using it seems to be using photoshop then does something and
says I can't do this on my Mac, am not sure what she's doing or what she
means perhaps or whether it's true or because she has an old mac, I
should record it.

I think it's using a pen like in this ad
http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/09/micros...nt-do-that-ad/

If she's doing _anything_ with Photoshop she can't do it with any Apple
tablet because no Apple tablet can run Photoshop.

wrong.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adob...d331975235?mt=
8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adob...t/id885271158?
mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adob...839085644?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adob.../id804177739?m
t=8
Old August 6th 16, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

In article , says...

In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

Certainly not Photoshop CC, but they are not comparing a Surface to an
Apple tablet, they are comparing it to an Apple MBP which can run
Photoshop CC. The MBP just doesn't have or miss a touch screen.

For now Apple tablet (iPad) users will have to settle for working with
Adobe Photoshop Fix, Photoshop Mix ad all those other Adobe products
optimized for use with the Apple Pen and other tools such as the Wacom
Intuos Stylus.
http://www.adobe.com/products/fix.html
http://www.adobe.com/products/mix.html
....and of course Adobe Photoshop Lightroom for mobile
http://www.adobe.com/products/lightroom-mobile.html
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/stylus/intuos-creative-stylus-2

Savageduck