Apple image processing software for new user with Nikon D5200

Old August 3rd 16, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Apple image processing software for new user with Nikon D5200

My youngest daughter has just announced she is going to enter the more
serious part of the world of photography with the purchase of a Nikon
D5200. Up to now her photography has been confined to point and shoot,
and iPhones.

She is very bright, artistically inclined and can cope well with
technical problems when she puts her mind to it. Her house is filled
(?) with Apple laptop computers of one kind or another. All she needs
is to be pointed in the right direction and she will away.

She has no knowledge of image processing software and I have no
knowledge of what comes with Apples or can be bought for Apples. Does
she need to buy anything or should something suitable be already
installed on her computers? If she is best advised to buy anything,
what would be suitable starter software? I don't think she should
launch straight into Lightroom or the like.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Eric Stevens
Old August 3rd 16, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-03 02:31:20 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

I would avoid the Apple proprietary "Photos" and either go for
Pixelmator or Affinity Photo. Both are well supported with tutorials
and the like.
http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Savageduck

Old August 3rd 16, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

start with apple's photos, since it's free and already there.

if it proves to be too limiting, then decide on alternatives.
Old August 3rd 16, 01:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 02 Aug 2016 in rec.photo.digital, Eric Stevens wrote:

My youngest daughter has just announced she is going to enter the more
serious part of the world of photography with the purchase of a Nikon
D5200. Up to now her photography has been confined to point and shoot,
and iPhones.

snip
If she is best advised to buy anything, what would be suitable
starter software? I don't think she should launch straight into
Lightroom or the like.

Lightroom. I think it's still available standalone; or you can get the
US$10/month subscribtion, which includes Photoshop. One of the big
advantages to Lightroom is its catalog. If she's interested in locating
pictures down the road, developing a good keywording strategy now is
important. And Lightroom does a really good job processing images more-
or-less automatically, but has lots of room for user input.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old August 3rd 16, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 8/2/2016 10:40 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2016-08-03 02:31:20 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

How about Photoshop Elements?

Old August 3rd 16, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-03 02:31:20 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

There is nothing wrong with PSE. However, best street prices run
$65-$85, and in that case I would go for Lightroom 6 (standalone). I
didn't mention Lightroom as Eric had already excluded it, though it has
the best catalog/asset management system, along with simple and
intuitive editing/adjustment, and great tutorial support.

For a Mac user the best and most cost efficient options are Pixelmator
@ $30 and Affinity Photo @ $50. Both support a RAW and layered
workflow, and are fully featured, and ridiculously powerful with no
subscription model. Affinity Photo can also take advatage of PS
plug-ins. Both are available from the Apple AppStore, and both do a
better job than PSE.

As most folks here know I have a Lightroom CC/PS CC workflow, but that
did not stop me in my search for alternatives, and I have bought,
installed and occasionally use both Pixelmator and Affinity Photo and
highly recommend either.

Savageduck

Old August 3rd 16, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 2016-08-03 02:31:20 +0000, Eric Stevens
said:

[...]

I'm interested in Affinity Photo myself. The Windows version is in
development.

Old August 3rd 16, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-03 02:31:20 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

The Affinity Photo workspace is very much like Photoshop, but with a
few quirks.
One of the things one has to get used to in Pixelmator and Affinity
Photo RAW processing is their use of their own proprietary
non-destructive format. So if you want to produce a JPEG, TIF, PNG, or
PSD you have to use their export dialog rather than a "Save As".
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_212.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_213.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_214.jpg

Savageduck

Old August 3rd 16, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-03 02:31:20 +0000, Eric Stevens sa

id:

,
[...]

All I can add is I like Pixelmator as it's very like PS, I haven't tried Af
finity Photo. The only thing I haven't been able to do in Pixelmator is con
vert from RGB to CMYK which PS can do, no idea about Affinity Photo.

Of course thre must be other things that PS can do that others can't like
HDR 'automatically' or stitching but for $30 Pixelmator isn't a big financa
il risk, didn;t appear to take up a lot of disc space (not that it's very i
mportant nowerdays) so you can just delete it and try something else if you
find you can;t get along with it for any reason.

Note sure how much free help there is for it if you're just starting out an
d new to image editiing maybe there's more free tutorials availble for PS,
but I think the way both products work is similar enough to not annoy too m
uch should you decide to change apps after a while.

I believe both have tutorials pretty well covered.
http://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/
https://www.youtube.com/user/PixelmatorVideos
https://pixelmatortutorials.net
https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10119-in-house-affinity-photo-video-tutorials/
https://www.youtube.com/user/AffinitySuite

Savageduck

Old August 3rd 16, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

[...]

if you had a mac, you could have been using it already.