Overpriced, "Swatch-looking" Apple watch sees sales drop 55%

Old August 3rd 16, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

Default Overpriced, "Swatch-looking" Apple watch sees sales drop 55%

On 8/2/2016 7:11 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 08:59:06 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 8/2/2016 5:52 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 1 August 2016 17:37:15 UTC+1, peterN wrote:
:

IIRC the cost of replacing a Movado battery, from a reliable Jewelry
store was well under $50.
provided you have the tools (most jewelers would) it should be much more than the cost of teh battery + time to do it.

What sort of batteries do they take.

Movado watches take the same batteries any other quartz watch uses. They
do not have "special" batteries. $50.00 is excessive to charge a Movado
owner for a battery that costs less than $1.00 to buy. The labor
involved in changing the battery is no different than if it was a cheap
Timex.

Do they require a pressure test?

Never known that to be a requirement. Mine certainly doesn't
There have also been times when batteries have been changed without
charge. I'm confident you can figure out why.
Well if I paid even £10 for a service I'd want free batteries but I don;t buy expensive watches. Although I did pay £40 IIRC for one back in the early-mid 70s. An LED watch. I liked it so much I took it apart to photograph it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/616698794/
So almost on topic as it's a photo but not using a digital camera.

Old August 4th 16, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 09:01:00 -0400, PAS wrote:

[...]

Not waterproof then.

My Seiko goes several years on a battery but needs pressure testing
everytime the battery is changed. It's never failed ... yet.

Old August 4th 16, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 8/4/2016 8:35 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 00:24:40 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Why would that make a diffence ?

Once a watch is opened and closed-up for the first time after it leaves
the factory, there is a risk that it is no longer 100% sealed,
therefore, no longer waterproof. A pressure test will indicate if it is
or isn't.

My Movado is waterproof, like many others. As I noted, they use the
same batteries as other watched. There are some jewelry stores and
watch dealers who claim that Movados use special batteries and rip
people off when they replace them. $50.00 to change a battery is a
rip-off. If the watch is pressure tested along with the battery change,
that's another story. Here's an account I vivdly remember: my wife's
friend was in Manhattan one day when her Movado stopped working. She
stopped into a Jewelry store and had the battery replaced. The store
charged her $100.00 claiming that Movados use special batteries. This
happened 25 years ago. I gave my friend and pastor a Movado as a gift
on the 20th anniversary of his service in the church. After a few years
the battery died and he needed it replaced. He went to the local mall
and brought it to a jewelry store there. He was told that the cost
would be $80.00 because the battery was "special". He left and went to
JC Penney and had it changed for $10.00.

My Seiko goes several years on a battery but needs pressure testing
everytime the battery is changed. It's never failed ... yet.

My casio lasted over 7 years perhaps 8 and I don't think it needs pressure testing.

Old August 4th 16, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-04 16:08:08 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Thursday, 4 August 2016 14:01:51 UTC+1, PAS wrote:
[...]

I thought that depended on how the watch was spected water proof to a
depth of or water resistant.
We have specs in electronics and it's called the IP rating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

It's how I'd like phones to be rated too so we could know what is
proof & resistance.

My Movado is waterproof, like many others. As I noted, they use the
same batteries as other watched. There are some jewelry stores and
watch dealers who claim that Movados use special batteries and rip
people off when they replace them. $50.00 to change a battery is a
rip-off.

But if you need a special setup to ensure the waterproof seal is OK by
doing a pressure test that must be quite difficult, I mean you couldnt
use a vice or a pair of pliers could you.

If the watch is pressure tested along with the battery change,
that's another story.

I'd assume it should be an an accuracy test.

Here's an account I vivdly remember: my wife's
friend was in Manhattan one day when her Movado stopped working. She
stopped into a Jewelry store and had the battery replaced. The store
charged her $100.00 claiming that Movados use special batteries. This
happened 25 years ago. I gave my friend and pastor a Movado as a gift
on the 20th anniversary of his service in the church. After a few years
the battery died and he needed it replaced. He went to the local mall
and brought it to a jewelry store there. He was told that the cost
would be $80.00 because the battery was "special". He left and went to
JC Penney and had it changed for $10.00.

Was the watch waterproof.

Not any more.

Old August 4th 16, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 8/4/2016 12:08 PM, Whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Could be.

My Movado is waterproof, like many others. As I noted, they use the
same batteries as other watched. There are some jewelry stores and
watch dealers who claim that Movados use special batteries and rip
people off when they replace them. $50.00 to change a battery is a
rip-off.

But if you need a special setup to ensure the waterproof seal is OK by doing a pressure test that must be quite difficult, I mean you couldnt use a vice or a pair of pliers could you.

You would use the proper tools that are made to remove and reinstall a
watch back. The seal is reused although I imagine that in a
best-case-scenario it should be replaced.

If the watch is pressure tested along with the battery change,
that's another story.

I'd assume it should be an an accuracy test.

Here's an account I vivdly remember: my wife's
friend was in Manhattan one day when her Movado stopped working. She
stopped into a Jewelry store and had the battery replaced. The store
charged her $100.00 claiming that Movados use special batteries. This
happened 25 years ago. I gave my friend and pastor a Movado as a gift
on the 20th anniversary of his service in the church. After a few years
the battery died and he needed it replaced. He went to the local mall
and brought it to a jewelry store there. He was told that the cost
would be $80.00 because the battery was "special". He left and went to
JC Penney and had it changed for $10.00.

Was the watch waterproof.

The only waterproof component on a watchback is a gasket. Once it's
opened, there's no guarantee that it's waterproof any longer. The labor
to remove the back of a waterproof Movado is no different than a cheap
non-waterproof Timex.

Old August 4th 16, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 05:35:39 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

[...]

If it's waterproof it's got seals. The pressure testing is to confirm
that the seals are still working and that the watch is (presumably)
still water proof.

My Seiko goes several years on a battery but needs pressure testing
everytime the battery is changed. It's never failed ... yet.

My casio lasted over 7 years perhaps 8 and I don't think it needs pressure testing.

The watch has to be opened up to install a new battery. That will
disturb at least some of the existing seals. There is a chance that
aging seals will not work properly after being reinstalled. Therefore
they should be tested to confirm that they are still functioning
correctly.

Eric Stevens
Old August 4th 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

rOn Thu, 4 Aug 2016 09:08:08 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

[...]

THat's a different thing altogether. Most IP ratings don't require
that the device be entirely water proof. Or even slightly waterproof.
See http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

Old August 5th 16, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/4/2016 3:20 PM, PAS wrote:
[...]

First to pick a nit. None of these watches are waterproof. The are water
resistant within specified limits.

When my batteries were changes, they also put a a seal, which is no big
deal. I wear then while swimming and have never had a water issue.

In a different vein, I could not understand the pricing of our dormer
local dry cleaner. My wife sewed a designer label in a coat that had
just been taken out from him. without wearing it we brought it in. The
price for dry cleaning the coat had tripled. I called hin on it, and his
excuse was he had to be more careful with such an expensive coat. Plus
there were stains that had to be removed. I circulated the story around
the neighborhood. The scam artist was out of business within six months.
Did I mention that his landlord was a friend of mine, and that his
illegal actions were a violation of his lease.

--
PeterN