Overpriced, "Swatch-looking" Apple watch sees sales drop 55%

Old July 29th 16, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Overpriced, "Swatch-looking" Apple watch sees sales drop 55%

On 2016-07-29 16:32:42 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 09:10:20 -0700, Savageduck

On 2016-07-29 14:13:47 +0000, PAS said:

On 7/28/2016 9:52 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 7/28/2016 1:16 PM, nospam wrote:

When you can buy a reasonably nice, handsome metal dial watch for $400,
is the gimmick of having email notifications appear on a watch face
enough to overcome the stigma of being an adult and wearing a watch that
looks like it was made for a 13 year old girl?

I'm waiting for v2, since I can't live with the battery life of the
current model. And there are models for adults. Really. There are.

If Apple manages to extend the battery life to say a week, I'd say their
introductory model was a complete scam since it lasts about 1-2 days. If
they don't extend battery life under normal use for a week, really, what is
the point in wearing one?

Agree. Right now it's not a useful watch for me. With a week, I'd have
one in a second. But how?

there's no need for more than 1-2 day battery life. put the watch on
the charger at night, along with your phone, which also doesn't have a
1 week run time.

but if you really think you need 1 week battery life, get a pebble, but
then you have to deal with a lower quality display and that it doesn't
do very much and that the company will be history soon.

My Movado watches need the battery changed after significantly more
than a year. They do only one thing, tell me what time it is, with
reasonable accuracy. I personally see no need for the Apple Watch. Some
may, but not me. I have other toys.

I'm in that boat too. I prefer a good old-fashioned wrist watch. I
wear one all the time. I am tiring of having to replace batteries so
I've vowed to only buy automatic or Citizen Echo Drive watches. I've
got a few of those, one for 15 years now. I can keep it in my watch
case (which is kept in a closed dresser) for months without taking it
out and it still keeps time.

I have a TAG Heuer and an Omega GMT, but in the last year my daily wear
watch is a Seiko Solar and it is accurate whereas both of the Swiss
automatics are always in need of regulation.
https://db.tt/TGncxeuU

I don't need my iPhone functions repeated on my wrist.

I have a Rolex and $10 Casio. When doing yard work or work around the
pool I wear the Casio. The Casio is analog with a black with a white
face and a plastic band. Very light and comfortable. Sometimes I go
days or weeks without bothering to switch back to the Rolex.

The Casio shows the same time as the time on my computer screen at I
type this. It was set last summer when I bought it, and has never
been adjusted.

The Rolex has to be re-set when I put it on if I've had it off for a
few days. I could buy one of those devices that keep self-winding
watches wound when not worn, but it's such a minor thing in the
everyday scheme of things that I don't plan to.

Agreed. I have also considered one of the fancy watch winding cases,
decided that it wasn't worth it. I also have my father's 55 year old
Rolex Oyster Perpetual, and I don't wear that as it has a band showing
55 years of wear, and to have that rebuilt runs $850, and fake
replacement bands are just too cheesy.

Savageduck

Old July 29th 16, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/29/2016 12:05 PM, PAS wrote:
On 7/29/2016 11:00 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 7/29/2016 10:13 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

I am highly sensitive to nickel, so i am limited to watches made from
surgical steel, or titanium. those watches are quite expensive, with
the exception of the Skagen watches, which work well, look nice for a
couple of years, and are cheap.

I like the slim design of the Skaagen watches.

So do I . They are also very light. The price varies but not really
significantly so.

--
PeterN
Old July 29th 16, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-07-29 14:13:47 +0000, PAS said:

[...]

My 40 year old self winding Seiko dive watch works as well as the day I
bought it. I use it for timing long exposure images, and it does a fine
job.

--
PeterN
Old July 29th 16, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-07-29 15:00:34 +0000, PeterN said:

On 7/29/2016 10:13 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

Well My TAG Heuer is titanium, and my Omega and Seiko are stainless steel.

A lot of folks like the Tag. My preference was to get the D500.
While the Omega is probably surgical steel, I am not so sure about the
Seiko. I have had a reaction to mine, so I keep in in my photo vest.

--
PeterN
Old August 1st 16, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 2016-07-29 14:13:47 +0000, PAS said:

[...]

Is that $850.00 cost a rebuild on the watch or just the band? These
watches should be maintained over the years. I've got my father's Omega
Sea Master that I don't use because it hasn't been serviced and using it
may cause the spring to break. At some point I'll send it to Omega for
the maintenance which is quite extensive, it's like a rebuild. It'll
look and work like new. The cost for that watch should be approximately
$800.00. But with the cost of having to replace one of my central AC
units today (after going nine days without it in this heat wave) and my
dog being treated for a serious illness she has, the watch will wait.
Eventually I'll get it done and give it to my son (the one in the NYPD)
as he is a watch aficionado. He already has his eyes on it.

Old August 1st 16, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 8/1/2016 5:46 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 29 July 2016 15:13:51 UTC+1, PAS wrote:
[...]

Me too.

I prefer a good old-fashioned wrist watch. I
wear one all the time. I am tiring of having to replace batteries.

How often do you have to replace batteries ?

It seems that the battery in the watch when it is new lasts longer than
replacements but I think it's because some of the replacement batteries
are old and should have been discarded. Sometimes the batteries last
for a year and then need to be replaced. I get my son to replace the
batteries since he has the tools and knows where to get them really
cheap. Since I've had him do this, the batteries last longer since he
is buying fresh ones.

I know quite a few people that have Movado watches. Many of them have
relayed stories where they went to get a battery replaced and they were
told the price would be anywhere from $50.00 to $100.00 because Movados
require special batteries. That's an utter lie, they use the same
batteries other watched do. Many of the Movados use cheap quartz
movements that you can buy for around $20.00.

so
I've vowed to only buy automatic or Citizen Echo Drive watches. I've
got a few of those, one for 15 years now. I can keep it in my watch
case (which is kept in a closed dresser) for months without taking it
out and it still keeps time.

Is that the best place for a watch a closed dresser I though the idea of having a watch that could tell the time. I've got a watch that I've kept in the draw for over 20 years.

I keep my watches in a watch box. I've got too many. Most are
inexpensive but I've got a few that were expensive, which to me means
around $400.00.

Old August 1st 16, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:
On 2016-07-29 14:13:47 +0000, PAS said:
[...]

That is just for the band.

These watches should be maintained over the years. I've got my
father's Omega Sea Master that I don't use because it hasn't been
serviced and using it may cause the spring to break. At some point
I'll send it to Omega for the maintenance which is quite extensive,
it's like a rebuild. It'll look and work like new. The cost for that
watch should be approximately $800.00. But with the cost of having to
replace one of my central AC units today (after going nine days without
it in this heat wave) and my dog being treated for a serious illness
she has, the watch will wait. Eventually I'll get it done and give it
to my son (the one in the NYPD) as he is a watch aficionado. He
already has his eyes on it.

The watch had been recently serviced, including a crystal replacement
before my father gave it to me back in 2003. At this stage of living
within my pension the $850 to rebuild the Rolex band is going to have
to wait until at least this time next year when my mortgage is paid off
and I have a little extra to play with. ...but then I will probably
have my eye of some other exotic toys, new glass, updated/upgraded
computer (this Mac is a 2010 3.6 GHz i5), etc.

Savageduck

Old August 1st 16, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/1/2016 11:07 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

IIRC the cost of replacing a Movado battery, from a reliable Jewelry
store was well under $50.
There have also been times when batteries have been changed without
charge. I'm confident you can figure out why.

Old August 2nd 16, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 8/2/2016 5:52 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 1 August 2016 17:37:15 UTC+1, peterN wrote:
:

IIRC the cost of replacing a Movado battery, from a reliable Jewelry
store was well under $50.

provided you have the tools (most jewelers would) it should be much more than the cost of teh battery + time to do it.

What sort of batteries do they take.

Movado watches take the same batteries any other quartz watch uses. They
do not have "special" batteries. $50.00 is excessive to charge a Movado
owner for a battery that costs less than $1.00 to buy. The labor
involved in changing the battery is no different than if it was a cheap
Timex.

There have also been times when batteries have been changed without
charge. I'm confident you can figure out why.

Well if I paid even £10 for a service I'd want free batteries but I don;t buy expensive watches. Although I did pay £40 IIRC for one back in the early-mid 70s. An LED watch. I liked it so much I took it apart to photograph it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/616698794/
So almost on topic as it's a photo but not using a digital camera.

Old August 3rd 16, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 08:59:06 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 8/2/2016 5:52 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 1 August 2016 17:37:15 UTC+1, peterN wrote:
:

IIRC the cost of replacing a Movado battery, from a reliable Jewelry
store was well under $50.

provided you have the tools (most jewelers would) it should be much more than the cost of teh battery + time to do it.

What sort of batteries do they take.

Movado watches take the same batteries any other quartz watch uses. They
do not have "special" batteries. $50.00 is excessive to charge a Movado
owner for a battery that costs less than $1.00 to buy. The labor
involved in changing the battery is no different than if it was a cheap
Timex.

Do they require a pressure test?