Google Drive

Old April 26th 12, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

Default Google Drive

Val Hallah wrote in news:ffc7c986-e55d-4a81-
:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-17831725

Is it true they own the files the moment they are uploaded?
Old April 26th 12, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-25 19:10:14 -0700, Rich said:

Val Hallah wrote in news:ffc7c986-e55d-4a81-
:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-17831725

Is it true they own the files the moment they are uploaded?

Why not just read for yourself?
https://drive.google.com/start#home

5GB free seems like it would be worth an initial low risk test.

Savageduck

Old April 26th 12, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike[_25_]

On 25/04/2012 10:10 PM, Rich wrote:
Val wrote in news:ffc7c986-e55d-4a81-
:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-materials.ars

--
Mike
Old April 26th 12, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-25 19:10:14 -0700, Rich said:

Val Hallah wrote in news:ffc7c986-e55d-4a81-
:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-17831725

Is it true they own the files the moment they are uploaded?

Why not just read for yourself?
https://drive.google.com/start#home

5GB free seems like it would be worth an initial low risk test.

....and a little more to read. It seems that they all give themselves
permission to move your stuff around if it makes their service work.
Apple is actually the worst of these with iCloud, as they reserve the
right to delete anything they deem "objectionable".

That is also the beauty of using your own hard drive/server with
Pogoplug, your truly critical stuff never touches their servers, and
you can save anything you want. Less critical/sensitive stuff can go to
their free 5GB "cloud" with pretty much the same TOS as all the other
cloud servers.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/25/29...dropbox-icloud

Savageduck

Old April 27th 12, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-25 19:10:14 -0700, Rich said:

[...]

OK

have done a basic install and I see there are various sharing options
from full public, unrestricted view sharing, view sharing limited to
those with access to the URL. An option to allow or not allow download
of the file.
Then there is "locked Private" where only the intended recipient(s) who
have been explicitly granted permission can view and/or download the
file after sign-in.

For now, Google Drive does not have a URL shortening feature similar to
that found in Dropbox.
So having said all that, try this for size. These files are set for all
those with access to the URL & according to the set up, download not
permitted. (We shall see.)
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...GFHZ3hESjdlQm8
and
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...FFNU0JtSzc0eUU

Savageduck

Old April 27th 12, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-25 19:10:14 -0700, Rich said:

[...]

Those seemed to be quite BIG, so I have resized them down to acceptable
SI levels:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...DNOaDU5UmVIR1U
and
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...XQ1NG92ZkdOZzA

Savageduck

Old April 27th 12, 11:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:35:24 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

For now, Google Drive does not have a URL shortening feature similar to
that found in Dropbox.
So having said all that, try this for size. These files are set for all
those with access to the URL & according to the set up, download not
permitted. (We shall see.)
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...GFHZ3hESjdlQm8
and
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...FFNU0JtSzc0eUU

Not sure what you mean by having access but DL not permitted. I can
see and right click Save Image As just fine.
Old April 27th 12, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:48:56 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

For now, Google Drive does not have a URL shortening feature similar to
that found in Dropbox.
So having said all that, try this for size. These files are set for all
those with access to the URL & according to the set up, download not
permitted. (We shall see.)
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...GFHZ3hESjdlQm8
and
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...FFNU0JtSzc0eUU

Those seemed to be quite BIG, so I have resized them down to acceptable
SI levels:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...DNOaDU5UmVIR1U
and
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...XQ1NG92ZkdOZzA

???

3485: 1600x1084 no exif @ 309KB vs 1200x813 with exif @ 279KB
4300: 1600x1073 no exif @ 294KB vs 1200x805 with exif @ 291KB

So given you first set is Google resampling what is shown to a smaller
size and not allowing access to the original?

Old April 27th 12, 01:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-26 16:35:24 -0700, Savageduck

said:

OK!
I have done a basic install and I see there are various sharing options from
full public, unrestricted view sharing, view sharing limited to those
with access to the URL. An option to allow or not allow download of the
file.
Then there is "locked Private" where only the intended recipient(s) who
have been explicitly granted permission can view and/or download the
file after sign-in.

For now, Google Drive does not have a URL shortening feature similar to
that found in Dropbox.
So having said all that, try this for size. These files are set for all
those with access to the URL & according to the set up, download not
permitted. (We shall see.)
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwBGyl1LDu7JUGFHZ3hESjdlQm8
and
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwBGyl1LDu7JTFFNU0JtSzc0eUU

Those seemed to be quite BIG, so I have resized them down to acceptable
SI levels:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwBGyl1LDu7JUDNOaDU5UmVIR1U
and
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwBGyl1LDu7JSXQ1NG92ZkdOZzA

Savageduck

what camera did u take those with ?

D300S.

Savageduck

Old April 27th 12, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

For now, Google Drive does not have a URL shortening feature similar to
that found in Dropbox.
So having said all that, try this for size. These files are set for all
those with access to the URL & according to the set up, download not
permitted. (We shall see.)
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...GFHZ3hESjdlQm8
and
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...FFNU0JtSzc0eUU

Not sure what you mean by having access but DL not permitted. I can
see and right click Save Image As just fine.

I suspected as much.

In the various Google Drive sharing options you are given the option of
permitting download of the file, or not. I believed I had selected "Do
not permit download." My understanding was this would allow recipients
of the URL "access" to view the image, or read a text file or PDF. As
this is the first time I have used Google Drive I was not sure is a
recipient would, or would not be able to "right click" save, since as
the "owner", if I open the URL I am give full edit access.

So one of two things happened here, either I goofed when making the
option "to not permit download" or that option has been falsely
represented by Google.

Savageduck

Google Plus Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 81 December 2nd 11 07:05 PM
New Google Owner agrees to use google for spelling purposes [email protected] Digital Photography 0 March 19th 07 05:16 AM
Google it! Helen Digital Photography 3 February 22nd 06 11:21 PM
Google it! M Twain Digital Photography 0 February 21st 06 06:44 AM
OT - Big changes from Google Jonovan Powell 35mm Photo Equipment 14 August 5th 04 08:59 PM